Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:56 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times

Advertisements

10 days to go till we touchdown in Florida
Cant wait for some sunshine and R & R .

The weather here is on the turn (from just ok to crap)
been working all hours (14-16 hours some days)
not sleeping (work work and work)
had a theft at a home site this week when some ******* stole a load of insulation
and a good friend (Mels best F) has been diagnosed terminally ill.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

so

and
MR BIG HOUSE , its party time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 06:22 AM

425 posts, read 1,104,956 times
Default Paradise Awaits

so sorry to hear about all the bad news, BUT the good news is you will be back to Fla soon.
I am torn, I miss it down there so much , but in Connecticut at this time of year it is soooooo beautiful, Fall is my favorite time, and if I was down there full -time(good luck at me finding a job HA) I would miss my kids,grandkids,my FIL,my dad. so for right now here I stay,
Tom will be back down Thanksgiving day for a week, then we will be back down the 19th of December, you guys gonna be around then?
would love to meet up!!!!!
met SoFlaGal she is a peach,dont think I could keep up the cocktails with the likes of Big House though
have a safe trip across the pond

Old 09-20-2009, 07:10 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Gosh, that's really bad news. I'm sure you'll have a good time when you're here though. Aren't you staying for two weeks? I'm sure we'll hook up when you come down.

Ya, know it's been nearly a year since you bought your house and BH bought his house about a year ago as well. Sounds like cause for a celebration

Old 09-20-2009, 07:55 AM

we are there for 2 and a half weeks -weds 30 to sunday 18th

a celebration sounds good

Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
we are there for 2 and a half weeks -weds 30 to sunday 18th

a celebration sounds good
My goal is to leave here on the 15th, and be down there rearing to go on the 16th. I'd like to be down there earlier, but do to other obligations I can't. My daughter's birthday is right after I am planning on leaving, and i'm getting heat if I miss that.

And, thanks to SoFLGal, I closed on my house on October 15th! So I have been a happy Florida resident for over a year now.

Pete,
Sorry to hear about Mel's friend! :-(

And, Sorry to hear about the thefts! But, its just another thing to deal with when you are on the job. Here, the subcontractors are responsible for there work, and the protection of it until it is installed and paid for. How is it covered over there? Did you buy the material for them to install, or is he furnishing it and installing it, and thus responsible for it? I have some more business questions like that to cover with you soon.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:57 AM

look forward to seeing you on the 16th then amigo.

its similar here but on some products we supply and use direct labour not subs -this being one of those cases.
My insurance has an excess (deductible) of £2500 so the grand comes out of my pocket

Old 09-20-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
look forward to seeing you on the 16th then amigo.

its similar here but on some products we supply and use direct labour not subs -this being one of those cases.
My insurance has an excess (deductible) of £2500 so the grand comes out of my pocket

Here, I have a relationship with couple huge national subs, that buy and install it cheaper than I can buy it. They will come in and insulate an entire building (12-24 apartments including the attic) in one day! So I am able to mitigate a lot of risk by pushing it down to the subcontractors. And since I share savings with the owner or client they appreciate that. Unfortunately, as the prime contractor you assume a lot of risk like that.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:18 AM

we do a lot of the times but this was insulation that goes on the floor before we lay the underfloor heating pipes. it then has the cement screed laid on top. the problem is that the screeder normally lays it but as the plumber has to install the heating pipes on top it becomes out of sequence and thus more cost effective to use our own labourers to lay it.

until some b*****d steals it :-(

Old 09-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
we do a lot of the times but this was insulation that goes on the floor before we lay the underfloor heating pipes. it then has the cement screed laid on top. the problem is that the screeder normally lays it but as the plumber has to install the heating pipes on top it becomes out of sequence and thus more cost effective to use our own labourers to lay it.

until some b*****d steals it :-(
Oh, gotcha - rigid insulation. We would have the Concrete Subcontractor furnish and install that, or we would assign the insulation to them, so that there is no sequential issue - its all his. We would also have them proofroll the subgrade as well, so that if there are any slab failure issues they belong to the Concrete subcontractor as well.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:34 AM

another difference- the sub floor is a suspended one of inverted T concrete beams infilled with breeze blocks -these are laid well before the insulation. we have some cool differences in the construction methods -bear in mind a lot of the ground conditions we build on are very different, have i showed you the CGI of the site with a 25 foot slope??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area