Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:35 PM

917 posts, read 2,614,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel.gamberg View Post
I think it's smart to save, then move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,307 times
Default jobs in srq

unless you are in health field or want to wait on customers, there are no jobs. I have a Masters Degree, which means nothing since even a BA is more than the average job demands. (again, unless you are in med field.)
Government keeps cuttin away at schools & libraries, so if you care about education, this is not the place. There are very few businesses, mostly service industry. Employers want all kinds of experience and bilingual ability, etc etc then pay $8 and hour - if you're lucky. EVERYONE works a 40 hour week, no extra for Sunday, but just say yes to anything you are offered or you will be unemployed. I moved her because of an elderly parent and tried to get a job after she died. I have done every kind of temp work and even that is slim pickins. Due to the economy, I can't even sell & go back north. Think long & hard & try for some interviews in your field before you relocate...it could be a big mistake. Don't want to be discouraging, but if I knew then what I know now I would have rented my house up north & rented one here. NEVER NEVER would move again.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apala48 View Post
unless you are in health field or want to wait on customers, there are no jobs. I have a Masters Degree, which means nothing since even a BA is more than the average job demands. (again, unless you are in med field.)
Government keeps cuttin away at schools & libraries, so if you care about education, this is not the place. There are very few businesses, mostly service industry. Employers want all kinds of experience and bilingual ability, etc etc then pay $8 and hour - if you're lucky. EVERYONE works a 40 hour week, no extra for Sunday, but just say yes to anything you are offered or you will be unemployed. I moved her because of an elderly parent and tried to get a job after she died. I have done every kind of temp work and even that is slim pickins. Due to the economy, I can't even sell & go back north. Think long & hard & try for some interviews in your field before you relocate...it could be a big mistake. Don't want to be discouraging, but if I knew then what I know now I would have rented my house up north & rented one here. NEVER NEVER would move again.
What this person is experiencing is going on all over SW Florida. They are trapped here in a low paying job tied to a home that they can't sell. People need to understand how easily this could happen to them !

Old 10-08-2009, 10:06 PM

33 posts, read 64,643 times
Yep, I always said that about NC. Cheap to live, cheap in pay = mostly poor state and what opportunities are there anyway? Not a whole lot! It's like a beautiful, artsy, pocket and if you leave that area it's not as desirable... I do miss SRQ a lot but I am very realistic... I think making 2 visits a year will quench our thirst. THANK you all!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,307 times
to the couple with the husband working at Lowe's---business is way down here - a friend of mine was laid off - building is down & most of Lowe's customers are homeowners trying to do it themselves, no big orders from contractors...oh God, just be very careful..I, like steven King, say "..be afraid, be very afraid.." If you drive down thru Venice, North Port, etc. you see empty storefronts & restaurants & tons of half finished, abandoned homes...things will pick up for a while now during season, so we all fight to get jobs selling oranges and so forth, but even travel is off with economy. I'm sure you heard or read about Honda having open house for 40 jobs and 500 people showed up...there is so much competition and no unions or job protection...if you aren't from here you can't imagine. AND I have friends and family here, but if I could I would move & visit twice a year. You can't even get volunteer jobs, no kidding, I went to women's Resource Center & was told the same thing...besides teacher cutbacks, those who sub got a big pay cut, schools have 'media aides' not librarians, it is a horror, UNLESS you want to work with elderly and are an LPN, CNA, or some such. Look at our want ads for a general idea of jobs.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:24 PM

apala48, Sounds like rachel.gamberg is staying put for now. I'll bet your earler post helped her make her mind up.
The whole idea of leaving a secure job to relocate anywhere right now seemed very foolish to me. Staying put and riding it out seems so much smarter.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
I considered a job at Lowe's when seeking a job change. I worked for their competitor. They never called back. Of course, that might have more to do with that particular location than the company as a whole.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:27 PM

33 posts, read 64,643 times
Thanks guys again, yes I wasn't really thinking it was a good idea. This is now my proof to Ryan that it really isn't a good idea to move! No matter how much he hates it up here in Vermont, we need to wait. Trust me, I printed everything and showed him. It didn't take 5 minutes for him so say "you're right." lol, thanks again. I truly hope we can move back when things are better, we miss it SO much. Best of luck to EVERYONE.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:42 PM

455 posts, read 978,803 times
Some of us get accused of painting a dismal picture when all we are trying to do is save folks like you from what, in all probability, would be financial disaster. Give it a few years. Use the time to build up a good nest egg for the move.

Economists are saying it's another year until a turnaround. When that happens, look toward the Tampa/St. Pete. area if you want to stay in your field. You'll still have the beaches on the Pinellas side, the nightlife and jobs on the Tampa side. Housing is reasonable and more importantly: the median age there is much younger. Many more young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area