Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 04:03 PM

917 posts, read 2,615,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

One guy was in his 40s and the other was 52( he told me). Both had similar stories,they left good paying jobs in the north to move to FL , now they're making
$10 an hour doing contract labor for Brighthouse.

Both are very unhappy. They get stuck working outside in horrific heat and humidity.

They get no medical benefits and the 52 year old told me he gets all the "crap jobs" because he is contract labor.

Both would love to leave but money is so tight they can't set aside enough in savings at this time. The 52 yr old has bad knees and had to go into the crawlspace to do some cabling,(crawlspace must have been 120 degrees) I gave him a big glass of iced tea. He was dripping in sweat, doesn' t that sound like the life!!!
Trust me. Going back to shoveling snow and scraping the ice of the windshield isn't much of a deterrent to people stuck in this situation. My wife and I are desperately saving up a "moving fund" to get out of here. By the way I'm 50 too and yes it affects my job prospects.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:15 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
Trust me. Going back to shoveling snow and scraping the ice of the windshield isn't much of a deterrent to people stuck in this situation. My wife and I are desperately saving up a "moving fund" to get out of here. By the way I'm 50 too and yes it affects my job prospects.
Those are tough stories. In the one story it doesn't sound like the company did any better than the employees. In the other, many people have lost 40-60% of their retirement savings due to the economy, and they did nothing wrong to cause it! It is a very sad time! I am angry about that and empathise with them. That said there are stories like that in every state right now.

Tommy, I am sorry to hear that you are so frustrated as well. Where do you think you are going to go to improve your situation?

Good Posts! all sides are being discussed!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:31 PM

159 posts, read 461,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Mr and Mrs Sunshine your only looking at if from your situation.

Over the past few months we have had two guys from Brighthouse Cable come to the house.

One guy was in his 40s and the other was 52( he told me). Both had similar stories,they left good paying jobs in the north to move to FL , now they're making
$10 an hour doing contract labor for Brighthouse.

Both are very unhappy. They get stuck working outside in horrific heat and humidity.

They get no medical benefits and the 52 year old told me he gets all the "crap jobs" because he is contract labor.

Both would love to leave but money is so tight they can't set aside enough in savings at this time. The 52 yr old has bad knees and had to go into the crawlspace to do some cabling,(crawlspace must have been 120 degrees) I gave him a big glass of iced tea. He was dripping in sweat, doesn' t that sound like the life!!!

Now I'm not in his situation(were retired), and can't quite know what it is like to be in his shoes, but I can have some understanding of how difficult a spot he in. I really felt for him. We chatted for quite awhile and he even told he is resentful of his wife who pushed for the FL move.

Now times him by many thousands of others and that is what you have here.

You coming here to retire and sitting on the beach is worlds away from someone who finds they are struggling down here and has a family to take care of.
I am moving to Florida this month but I can safely say that if I wasn't a nurse I would not be making that move at this time. In fact I have wanted to move there for years but I got my nursing degree first and worked a couple of years to get some experience and then the way was pretty well paved for me to get a good paying job there. There will always be medical jobs available but the other jobs just don't seem to be there. I hope my husband will be able to find a job when we get there, he is a cook but he is a hard worker and will do whatever he needs to do to get a job.
I worry about my teenage kids trying to find work there because here fast food is always hiring but I don't know about there.
I think the main idea here is if you don't have a job think long and hard before uprooting an entire family. If it was just me I probably would've moved down long ago and took my chances but I, like alot of you, have kids to worry about. I wish anyone on here good luck in making your dreams come true, just be careful!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Those are tough stories. In the one story it doesn't sound like the company did any better than the employees. In the other, many people have lost 40-60% of their retirement savings due to the economy, and they did nothing wrong to cause it! It is a very sad time! I am angry about that and empathise with them. That said there are stories like that in every state right now.

Tommy, I am sorry to hear that you are so frustrated as well. Where do you think you are going to go to improve your situation?

Good Posts! all sides are being discussed!
I can't get a contractors license down here. Credit too messed up now. Want to go back to doing what I do best, remodeling. Right now New Hampshire is a serious contender. Very lax requirements.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:42 PM

rainbowgirl, good to hear from you!
Good post too!

Our 18 year old can't find work here in Punta Gorda. She say's she's been trying everywhere.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:

I hope things work out for you, even though your wife hates me....LOL.

Yes people are struggling everywhere, but you hear more hard luck stories down here due to the lower wages.

It bothers me when I see people moving here with young kids and no real plan and no back up plan. The common thread in their posts is for warmer weather. They have a warped version of what life is like here and think they're going on a permanent vacation.

I know a couple who has lived in Florida for 3 years and have never taken their kids to Disneyworld because they can't afford it.

I know another guy here is who 35 and is working three part time jobs. He has a wife who lost her job and they have three children.

One of them is a tow truck driver doing repos so he has to carry a gun.

Very nice guy but they're struggling here and he is fed up. There are a lot worse things in life than cold weather.

Hopefully some of these people have family that can help them out if they run into trouble.

As my father used to say "You can't tell people what they don't want to hear".

Old 10-09-2009, 04:46 PM

159 posts, read 461,152 times
Quote:
rainbowgirl, good to hear from you!
Good post too!

Our 18 year old can't find work here in Punta Gorda. She say's she's been trying everywhere.
Yea that worries me. We have tons of jobs here for kids. They need to work to learn responsibility.

Do you know anything about Gateway Lakes apts on Marlin Lakes Circle? I am looking into that possibility.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:00 PM

519 posts, read 1,377,434 times
Isn't it a sad reality of life, so many people to few jobs. My husbad works in a factory(in the office) and it scares the living daylights out of me that he could be the next one out the door, about 3 months ago they walked out 10 people most who had been their longer than him. What ever or where ever we land, really isn't the big issue as to being togeather as a family.
Its funny I have spent almost 2 yrs dreaming of Florida and researching it like a crazy woman(my husband would say LOL.). Tommy SoFlGal made a comment in a post about never seeing snow, and it kinda slapped me in the face. Do I want to move to Florida and not have a white Christmas anymore, and be able to go sledding with my kids? I think I am more confused about moving now more than ever. Surely we would secure jobs before moving to Florida but maybe their are other options out their. Life is short so we are gonna do something I just don't know what now??

Old 10-09-2009, 05:20 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyflorida70 View Post
Isn't it a sad reality of life, so many people to few jobs. My husbad works in a factory(in the office) and it scares the living daylights out of me that he could be the next one out the door, about 3 months ago they walked out 10 people most who had been their longer than him. What ever or where ever we land, really isn't the big issue as to being togeather as a family.
Its funny I have spent almost 2 yrs dreaming of Florida and researching it like a crazy woman(my husband would say LOL.). Tommy SoFlGal made a comment in a post about never seeing snow, and it kinda slapped me in the face. Do I want to move to Florida and not have a white Christmas anymore, and be able to go sledding with my kids? I think I am more confused about moving now more than ever. Surely we would secure jobs before moving to Florida but maybe their are other options out their. Life is short so we are gonna do something I just don't know what now??
Yeah it's kinda funny to watch peoples reaction when I say I've never seen snow. I guess it's kind of an odd thing. I really like Florida and I like the warm weather so I guess it was a good thing I was born here. I would really like to see snow but I don't think I'd enjoy the day to day living in the snow. Like you mentioned Amy, some people can't envision not having snow at Christmas or being at the beach on Christmas day. I think it's all in what you're used to but you'd definitely have to give up the sledding if you moved here but you could always go back in visit. Or maybe you could make snow angels in the sand

I think it would be really though to move from a place you've known all your life to a whole new climate, atmosphere, friends, etc. It must be a really tough decision and one that should be really thought out.

Good luck Amy with whatever you decide. (hugs)

Old 10-09-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow girl View Post
Yea that worries me. We have tons of jobs here for kids. They need to work to learn responsibility.AGREED!

Do you know anything about Gateway Lakes apts on Marlin Lakes Circle? I am looking into that possibility.
No, sorry. Did you see SFG's reply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area