Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,012 times

Advertisements

Trails----You've definitely found a great area!

I've been traveling back and forth from MI every other week over the last couple of months, looking for a laid back area to lead an active lifestyle this winter.
I keep returning to Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island.

You can easily roadbike from your doorstep on either island for 30+ miles if you so choose (condusive riding from Anna Maria, over the bridge to Long Boat Key's 14 mile smooth stretch, then thru St. Armand's Circle, over the bridge into Sarasota, past Marina Jack's, then take back roads to Siesta Key...and they just finished repaving Siesta so it's nice and smooth).

There is a place on Siesta that rents roadbikes, as well as kayaks. They offer kayak tours (daytime OR nighttime) thru the mangroves at the south end of Siesta. I haven't experienced that yet, but it is on my list.

There's a beachfront Hobie Cat sailboat rental place on Anna Maria that also rents paddleboards....so will be doing that for my first time ever on my next visit!! And have found a couple of places to daysail sailboats on Sarasota Bay.

I've met a lot of great people and the locals have been very friendly and helpful. Since I am a 40 yr old single female (who looks 30 I've been teased quite a bit that I'm a little young to be a FL snowbird.....but I am having the time of my life!!

Definitely get down there and check it out!
Nicole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:45 PM

69 posts, read 235,656 times
Wow nicole, great info!

Thanks for all the great advice. You sound like you really know the area pretty well. Renting roadbikes and kayaks on Siesta sounds like a fantastic idea, and I actually wasn't sure about the availability of that, good to hear it's there.

The kayak tours through the mangroves sound pretty cool, but at night?? Full moon party I guess??

And on Anna Maria, the Hobie Cat sailboat place sounds great. I actually want to learn to sail, one of top things I want to do.

Sounds like your really enjoying life, thats what it's all about.
With all this fun stuff to do in the area, how do the people of Sarasota find time to work? jk

Ahhh...there it is....do you live to work, or work to live?

Around the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley it is a badge of honor to never vacation (or rarely) and to work 80+ hours a week, inhale lunch at your desk in under 5 minutes, go to work sick as a dog, etc.
I love the area dearly, but sometimes don't quite get the lifestyle mentality (hence my post title for this thread: Jimmy Buffett lifestyle). It's all about balance.

I definitely plan on coming to check it out. Hopefully I will be able to pack some things up and leave within the next two weeks - I am driving and looking forward to it. Going to take my time and visit friends along the way.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:01 AM

3 posts, read 9,673 times
Siesta village is a great place to be, very Buffettesque as it were...but be aware that Sarasota county has a lot of laws about how to conduct yourself and what is and isn't allowed. But in return for high taxes and tight rules its a great place with lots of amenities. The rent for month to month is usually high 'in season' which is Oct-Jan early season (usually short vacationers an canadians) and January-May high season with spring break and snowbirders in droves (economy willing) Spring break is late Feb-early April depending on Easter and college terms. But Sarasota=Siesta doesn't see real heavy spring break activity but there are some busy times and hotties about. Life on Siesta comes at a premium, but if you are from SoCal then you will think its a bargain or at least reasonable. I am 45 now but 36 when I moved to the area. Siesta key is about six miles from the Legacy trail route down Clark road over the south Siesta key bridge. Siesta is world renowned for the white sugar sand beaches, its a blue water beach, a designation from some agency that documents several factors including water quality, services, population and cleanliness. Good luck finding the right place to rent and be sure to stop by the Daquiri Deck for a frozen treat. SKOB offers live music down the street and lots of fried seafood to burn your heart. Sunday night drum circle brings out the patouli crowd and go to the beach early to get a parking place.
Definitely not Miami style thank goodness! Suncoast is the Best of Florida, but don't tell anyone.
ciao

Old 10-17-2009, 04:19 AM

455 posts, read 979,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trails View Post
Hi!

I am thinking about coming down for winter from Northern California and was curious how Siesta Key would be for a single 37 year old guy?

I have been reading a lot about Sarasota on here and it really has sparked my interest. Is seem there is always something do to, great culture, healthy grocery stores, friendly people and an artistic community. I was planning on renting a place month to month. I have two main things I'd really like to have in a rental. One is walkablity and the other is as close to the beach as possible. What do you think about the area near Siesta Village? Along Beach Road or other nearby streets?

Also, I am pretty active and was curious what types of water sports go on there? Can you kayak? What about stand up paddleboarding or an Outrigger Canoe? I would guess there are miles of bike/walking paths? Is there a great gym near the beach?

I have looked into virtually every area of Florida and this area interests me most for the natural beauty and less hectic atmosphere (vs Miami Beach and other such areas). I wasn't planning on working, maybe part time, but just want some R&R for a few months. I mention it because getting a job is not a factor whether I come or not.

I have been to Florida before, and actually spent a week on Sanibel and loved it, but didn't think it was a good place for singles.

Thanks for any advice/tips!
Have you considered the Keys? As a native, "Jimmy Buffett" vibe is exactly the feeling I get down there in Key West or Marathon.

Don't let the naysayers convince you it's too commercial. When you get off the well-traveled, tourist route, it IS Margaritaville! Buffett spent/spends a great deal of time down there and owns Margaritaville Café and is known to show up from time to time.

Keep in mind, Florida's huge elderly population keeps it very very conservative. Florida could be a serious culture shock, coming from San Francisco! This isn't the case in Key West. I'm not familiar with how the area votes but the atmosphere down there is a lot more liberal.

Last edited by MrsTommy; 10-17-2009 at 04:29 AM..

Old 10-17-2009, 12:35 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I think the OP is going to like it around here just fine..... We'll let him visit and decide for himself. We have quite a few great testimonials for this area here from both people who moved here, and/or vacationed here regularly.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:47 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Smile11111,
Welcome to the board! You are doing a lot of the same things that I love about florida. I love biking and kayaking, swimming, and hanging out at all the places that you mentioned. I love siesta key beach! The town there is awesome. Sarasota and St. Armands Circle is a place you have to be lucky enough to visit before someone tips your bucket over!

I hope you continue to drop in and chat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area