Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:52 AM

38 posts, read 115,640 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have been a major lurker and have found this forum to be so very helpful - so Thank you all in advance!!

My DH's transfer has finally been approved. He is in sales and his territory will be all of Florida, major client in Tampa (none in Miami and some in North Florida) and needing to travel to Atlanta once a month.
My sister lives in Wesley Chapel, my godmother lives in Nakomis and my mom and Dad are snowbirds but stay in Ft.Pierce. Talk about spreading out!!!
We currently live in Long Island, NY and are ready for a bit of a slower pace. We have a 6 yr old, so schools and family are a major priority. We would like to be close to the beach and a nice, quirky town. We are looking at homes in the price range of 400-550 but needs to be in a very family friendly area in which we will feel safe.

Our home is now on the market and as soon as it is sold, we will be there (actually, DH will already be at my sisters' home!). I cannot wait

I would love to have opinions on places to live that meet our needs.
PS - I feel like I know a bunch of you just from reading so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 11:22 AM

18 posts, read 33,159 times
Areas around Tampa would serve you best considering your husband has a major client there and he has to travel to Atlanta once a month. Check out the Tampa forum and post there to get the information that you need. Good luck!

Ray

Old 10-16-2009, 12:10 PM

Thanks Ray, I've posted there also but I think that we are considering the Sarasota are over Tampa. A commute is nothing new to DH considering traveling into Manhattan/New Jersey/Westchester from Suffolk County takes him up to 3 hours. The 1.5 hours from Sarasota to Tampa would be a breeze - especially if was dreaming of mushing his toes in the sand. We have been in NY all of our lives - working and commuting to NYC and have had enough of the hustle and bustle. We would prefer a slower paced.
I'm open for other suggestions......

Old 10-16-2009, 02:54 PM

519 posts, read 1,372,390 times
The people here are fabulous, my husband are trying to get relocate as well and their is definatly something about Sarasota thats appealing, attractive and just beautiful. Talking to the people here will give you alot of the information you need. Sarasota and some of the surrounding are supposed to have some of the best schools in Florida. Best of luck and there will be tons of info on the way.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:57 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,108,976 times
congratulations -welcome to the best part of the world

Old 10-16-2009, 03:19 PM

Thanks Amy and the Sunshines, I've enjoyed reading all of your posts and hope to meet up sometime. We can't wait to get out of NY - it's so cold and nasty here already!!
We hope to spend the Thanksgiving holidays looking around at locations. So far I know that I want to look at Palmer (TurtleRock/Deercreek??) and Lakewood ranch.
We like the idea of a master planned community but would like it to be established. Would also like to be no more than 15 min. to nice beaches (that's another reason not so keen on Tampa area).
Aside from the ones that I have listed, can anyone think of other communities that might be worth looking at?

Old 10-16-2009, 03:33 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,918,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkimamma View Post
Thanks Amy and the Sunshines, I've enjoyed reading all of your posts and hope to meet up sometime. We can't wait to get out of NY - it's so cold and nasty here already!!
We hope to spend the Thanksgiving holidays looking around at locations. So far I know that I want to look at Palmer (TurtleRock/Deercreek??) and Lakewood ranch.
We like the idea of a master planned community but would like it to be established. Would also like to be no more than 15 min. to nice beaches (that's another reason not so keen on Tampa area).
Aside from the ones that I have listed, can anyone think of other communities that might be worth looking at?
Good for you and best of luck, I'm sure you will find an area you will like We also will be down during Thanksgiving maybe we can meet up for a drink.

Have you thought about St. Pete's? or Clearwater? we've spent a lot of time there and they have great beaches We have friends who live in Indian shores and just love it!!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:21 PM

105 posts, read 185,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkimamma View Post
Hi,
I have been a major lurker and have found this forum to be so very helpful - so Thank you all in advance!!

My DH's transfer has finally been approved. He is in sales and his territory will be all of Florida, major client in Tampa (none in Miami and some in North Florida) and needing to travel to Atlanta once a month.
My sister lives in Wesley Chapel, my godmother lives in Nakomis and my mom and Dad are snowbirds but stay in Ft.Pierce. Talk about spreading out!!!
We currently live in Long Island, NY and are ready for a bit of a slower pace. We have a 6 yr old, so schools and family are a major priority. We would like to be close to the beach and a nice, quirky town. We are looking at homes in the price range of 400-550 but needs to be in a very family friendly area in which we will feel safe.

Our home is now on the market and as soon as it is sold, we will be there (actually, DH will already be at my sisters' home!). I cannot wait

I would love to have opinions on places to live that meet our needs.
PS - I feel like I know a bunch of you just from reading so much!!
Congrats! We will be down soon too! We are relocating from Indiana. It's really cold today and I'm ready for a nice warm sun on my face with the water crashing on my feet! I hope to meet ya once we are down too!

Old 10-16-2009, 06:11 PM

519 posts, read 1,372,390 times
Once SoFlGal reads your post you will get many ideas from her as far as communities and such, she knows the area like the back of her hand. It would be really awsome if we could all get togeather once we all make it down.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:08 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,622,146 times
Lakewood Ranch is IMHO a great place but too far from th ebeach stick with Palmer Ranch or come down to Nokomis where as you probably are aware prices are a little cheapere beaches nearer and less croded and easy freeway access.
You should look at Sorrento Woods, Mission Valley, Calusa Lakes
Palmer Ranch (where I used to live) seems to have become overpopulated.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area