Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 07:41 AM

11 posts, read 41,575 times

Advertisements

What is the job availability in Sarasota, and surrounding areas? Is it mostly volunteer or paid, or volunteer--->paid?

I'm aware that most stations hire from within or you must 'know somebody who knows somebody' to get employment, but what would be the chances of someone from the 'outside' who is certified and trained (in Ca) getting an opportunity?

Thank you for any answers in advance, it is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 08:40 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,005,114 times
Hey Cr, I'm neither, but I work in several of the local EDs. In talking with our crews, I know that all of them are fire/medics. They usually work either for rescue or engine company, they don't rotate, but there is some flexibility if you want to keep your skills up on both. Obviously if you are a paramedic as opposed to EMT you have a competitive edge.

I work in Sarasota, Charlotte counties. North Port has its own fire/rescue department, as does Nokomis and some other surrounding cities. From my experience, most of the crews are experienced and have a good handle on things. I also see a few of Lee County medics because Boca Grande is in Lee County.

Obviously you have to apply, that's online, if you're local or you visit you can always stop by one of the local stations, they're very accepting of that here. DM me if you want particulars. The former medical director of Charlotte County EMS is a colleague, I can get some more details if you like.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:48 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,018,681 times
How does the money flow work here? Are the firefighters paid? Where I was, it was an all volunteer service, and there were a number of independent fire companies. I don't know if it is still that way any longer, a lot of my friends were fire fighters. In many jurisdictions the fire fighters are paid by the jurisdiction. And, many of the jurisdictions have been making cut backs as much as they can in those areas. Is that happening here? How does it work here?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:15 AM

166 posts, read 601,054 times
Sarasota County Fire dept does almost all of unincorporated Sarasota County and the city of Sarasota which is a service population of about 300k. The fire department also does fire rescue which serves the same area plus Venice (I think the fire districts too). Venice and Northport have their own fire department and there are a few fire districts like Englewood and Nokomis.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,005,114 times
Englewood is half Sarasota County, half Charlotte, so rescue is by county. These guys get paid. Not a lot...just like every other health care professional in FL (only industry I can speak to).

Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 AM

11 posts, read 41,575 times
Thanks for the replies.
I have been thru the fire academy in CA, but I'm not sure if the requirements are the same for Fla. Does anybody know what state certifications they will accept there? My wife is currently living in Sarasota and I'm trying to join her, but I don't think moving without a job (or decent opportunities) is a very good idea right now.... So I'm just trying to figure out what the chances are of getting hired onto a fire crew. Even if I have to volunteer for a period of time that would be fine.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 PM

53 posts, read 137,686 times
Florida makes you go through a local academy for fire, and a EMT course. There isnt any reciprocity if you have the same certifications. So basically you have to start all over. Sarasota is probably going to be the only one hiring between now and the next few years due to retirements. And Sarasota has one of the best dept in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area