U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 10:01 AM

55 posts, read 127,682 times

Advertisements

My family and I will soon be moving to Charlotte County.

My 20 y/o son has a fairly steady lawn mowing business where we live now and is undecided on whether he should bring his equipment on the move and "give it a go" there, or just sell his equipment off before we move.

My fear is that the horrible jobs market in Charlotte County has probably pushed ALOT of folks into lawn maintenance and it may make it difficult for my son to get established or make any money due to the increased competition.

Any thoughts, observations, or experience with this from fellow contributors? Many thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 10:17 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,828,387 times
Billslwan89 is here in town and might be able to give you some advice. I would start it up in the summertime when the grass actually grows. Many people cancel in the winter because the grass doesn't really need cut much and things are tight for most people.

Another idea is to get in with a Realtor that sells foreclosure properties. They/we keep our property preservation guys pretty busy but most of them also do other things like lock changes, covering pools, lawn service, trash outs, etc. Most banks want at least two bids on jobs so you might be able to get in with someone on a second bid. Do a good job, give competitive prices and be reliable and they'll keep you working. Just an idea...

Old 11-01-2009, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the reply SoFLGal. Good ideas and comments and I appreciate it.

The Trash Out service is a good idea and would be a natural fit with lawn service, as you said. I'm surprised there arent more start-up companies providing trash-out services in FL...the marketing side or "getting-in" must be pretty tough to crack?

Old 11-01-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfwaymore View Post
Thanks for the reply SoFLGal. Good ideas and comments and I appreciate it.

The Trash Out service is a good idea and would be a natural fit with lawn service, as you said. I'm surprised there arent more start-up companies providing trash-out services in FL...the marketing side or "getting-in" must be pretty tough to crack?
There are many "start up" companies trying to get a business going together like that but what we have found is that many just aren't reliable. The asset managers at the banks give us time frames in which the work needs to be completed and if we have unreliable companies or companies that don't do a good job it reflects poorly on us. So, if we take on a new person we usually start them out with a small assignment such as a rekey and have back up ready if it doesn't work out.

There are a lot of foreclosures in the area but there are only a certain amount of Realtors that handle the bulk of them. The trick is to get in with someone that is pretty busy and do a good job for them. The other thing is that you would need a little reserve money to begin with. Most banks take around 60 days to pay out.

Also if you do a good job for one Realtor your name will get passed around. I get calls all the time for my list of contacts.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:37 PM

62 posts, read 170,094 times
SoFLGal always comes up with good answers! I have to agree with her. I moved here about 3 years ago and started my own business. I also was a Lawn Care Professional in Ohio for about 17 years, but things are different here! Alot of people pulling trailers with mowers, more so now with how the economy is. I hear the comment about "being reliable" from my new clients all the time. All my clients now know exactly when I'LL be at their property, give or take 30 minutes each visit. They can set their clocks by me showing up. Same time and same day each week, unless of course its raining then they know how my visits will be. Alot of guys here that are mowing start off strong in the early season, when it cool outside, but end up giving up when the heat starts pouring in, most days with the heat index, its 100 degrees plus! This is when I pick up more clients, and laugh at the other guy, he's nowhere to be found. I spent alot of money advertising when I started out and have a good amount of clients to keep me busy now. Like SoFLGal said, be reliable and do a good job then things should be O.K. Most of my new clients now are word of mouth advertising, so thats nice on the pocket book! LOL... Good Luck and make sure you apply for your license that is needed for this line of work. I've always heard of lawn care people getting stopped by the city to get checked for their license. I keep all copies of mine in my truck, for that reason.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the advice Bill, good comments. Very good point on the license and that's something we'll have to check on for sure....here there's no documentation of any type required. Sounds like you run a good business and work hard for your money. Congrats on your success!

I'm still very intrigued by the trashout business....

Old 11-04-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Bill, good comments. Very good point on the license and that's something we'll have to check on for sure....here there's no documentation of any type required. Sounds like you run a good business and work hard for your money. Congrats on your success!

I'm still very intrigued by the trashout business....
Trashouts are big business around here. In Charlotte county the sanitation guys will take anything that sits by the curb but in Sarasota county you have to call for a special pick up and even then they sometimes don't pick it up. So my property preservation guys say it's easier doing them in Charlotte county.

A few other things that you may have not thought of that my PP guys do are covering pools. They build this rectangle covering out of 2x4's and cover it with wire mesh. The banks pay around $1k +/- for the covering. I don't know what the cost is to make one but I wouldn't think it's too expensive. They just want the area secure so kids and animals don't fall in. They also pay to have them put locks on the screen doors to the pools, again safety.

Then they do a sales clean for the banks. Basically they wipe down the counters, vacuum up the rug, and make the house look presentable.

MCS and FAS handle many of the bigger companies property preservation but there are plenty of smaller companies/banks that let us hire our own people. You can look on the above websites to get an idea of what services these companies perform.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:59 PM

SoFLGal,

I dont post alot on these forums, mostly just lurk and keep quiet....

But I just wanted to say that you are a wealth of information and you are always truly helpful to folks seeking information here on all subjects.

Thanks for all your contributions. I always look forward to reading your comments.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
SoFLGal,

I dont post alot on these forums, mostly just lurk and keep quiet....

But I just wanted to say that you are a wealth of information and you are always truly helpful to folks seeking information here on all subjects.

Thanks for all your contributions. I always look forward to reading your comments.
Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad I could help you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area