U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:02 PM

7 posts, read 23,424 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My wife and I will be going to Englewood and Nokomis for a few days. We will be checking out some residential lots. I'm not interested in flipping properties or making investments, just holding on to something until retirement (15-20 years from now) and then building a home. We are looking for a place pretty close to the beach, 1-2 miles and quiet. That's it. So my questions are: 1) Is Nokomis safe compared to the surrounding towns? 2) What's the deal with Snake Island? Is there a snake problem? 3) Are there certain parts of Nokomis that are nicer than others? One of the properties is actually close to snake island, is that a nice area or should I avoid it. Any help you could give me would be great. Thnks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 03:55 PM

913 posts, read 2,236,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almosttime View Post
Hello everyone,
My wife and I will be going to Englewood and Nokomis for a few days. We will be checking out some residential lots. I'm not interested in flipping properties or making investments, just holding on to something until retirement (15-20 years from now) and then building a home. We are looking for a place pretty close to the beach, 1-2 miles and quiet. That's it. So my questions are: 1) Is Nokomis safe compared to the surrounding towns? 2) What's the deal with Snake Island? Is there a snake problem? 3) Are there certain parts of Nokomis that are nicer than others? One of the properties is actually close to snake island, is that a nice area or should I avoid it. Any help you could give me would be great. Thnks.

I like Nokomis. I reminds me of old Florida.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:52 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,916,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
I like Nokomis. I reminds me of old Florida.
I like Nokomis too, it's beautiful. There is a BIG drug problem there right now though. May not be an issue in 15-20 years.

There is a saying in the ER in Sarasota (most folks from Nokomis would go to that ER): No shirt, no shoes, no job: Nokomis.

I didn't make it up and several of the docs I work with live in Nokomis. Just check into local crime rates, as I'm sure you would.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:38 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,479,848 times
Nokomis is a big mix... most of Casey Key is Nokomis which is multi-million dollar properties & the rest of Nokomis has a few nicer neighborhoods/areas scattered around but there is a lot of undesirable stuff too. I feel overall, Nokomis has been neglected a bit. Osprey is a little nicer IMO.

Snake Island- it's just a name.. people camp there all the time.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:41 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,471,370 times
Lived in Nokomis 5 years and can say honestly I have enocinutered NO CRIME. Nice people, location close to beach and FEW SNOWBIRDS Real people LIVE in Nokomis

Old 11-06-2009, 05:56 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,673,658 times
Hmm...I've never heard about any drug problem in Nokomis and I have a teen kid that hang out with many kids in Nokomis. Interesting. Here's something I wrote about the Nokomis area:

Nokomis, Florida is between Sarasota and Venice near the Florida’s Gulf of Mexico. Nearby you will find the barrier island of Casey Key and the wonderful activities and amenities that make Nokomis, Florida one of the most desirable places to visit and live in the state of Florida. Conveniently located near I-75, Nokomis, Florida provides easy access to Fort Myers, Sarasota and Tampa, airports, sporting events, theme parks, performing arts, and more. Some of the older buildings in town show their 1920s heritage. Nokomis, Florida is close to shopping, golfing, fine dining, entertainment, schools, parks, and hospitals. The town was named after the grandmother of Hiawatha, and you may remember it from the famous poem.
Nokomis, Florida sits just across Roberts Bay from Venice, so the Intracoastal Waterway and the Gulf of Mexico are at your fingertips. Watch boats glide by while you enjoy seafood chowder at Pelican Alley or try Briandi’s Italian Restaurant or Capt. Eddies Seafood, another local favorite. You can jet ski, water ski, swim, go boating or fishing, diving, kayaking and canoeing, or you can plop down on your beach towel and work on the perfect Florida tan - all while enjoying the gentle caress of the tropical breezes. The beach is only a half mile outside town, and the Nokomis Beach and Park comprises twenty-two acres and 1,700 pristine feet of shoreline on the Gulf of Mexico, with another 3,200 feet stretched along the Intracoastal Waterway. Surfers travel to the North Jetty Beach when a tropical storm kicks up the waves. Beach conveniences include restrooms, picnic areas, a boat ramp, boardwalk and deck, free parking and full time lifeguards. Nearby historic Venice has shopping, and fine restaurants and Sarasota features Sarasota Jungle Gardens and the Ringling Museum of Art.

North Jetty Park is on the southern tip of Casey Key in Nokomis. It attracts boaters, nature lovers and water buffs. Head for the Intracoastal Waterway and the Gulf of Mexico beyond for a day of fishing, sailing or boating, or spread your picnic blanket and the wide sandy beach and enjoy a day under the buttery Florida sun.

NOKOMIS
  • Blackburn Shore
  • Calusa Lakes
  • Dolphin Shores
  • Laurel Communities-Gated
  • Mission Valley Estates-Equestrian
  • Shakett Creek-Waterfront, Gated
  • Shore Oaks-Gated
  • Willow Chase-Gated

Old 11-07-2009, 04:46 AM

7 posts, read 23,424 times
Thanks for all the replies so far, keep em comming. Can anyone tell me what parts of Nokomis I should shy away from?

Old 11-07-2009, 06:29 AM

To be honest I can't think of any area of Nokomis that is "bad". Actually most of Nokomis is pretty pricey. I just ran a search in the MLS and just put in Nokomis and single family home. There are 236 homes for sale. The more "affordable" homes are around Colonia St. Many of those homes are 1950's block style homes that need some work.

If your looking to build or buy a home really close to the beach you're going to pay a premium for that. The more expensive property is located out on Casey Key. Most of that property is running in the 2mil + category.

You might be able to pick up something on Shackett Island for in the mid $500's. It's a very small group of homes that is on a little piece of land that juts out into the bay. All the homes sit on the bay and it's gated. There's no amenities.

Sorrento South is another place that has gulf access homes in Nokomis. You might want to also consider expanding your search to the nearby communities of Osprey, Venice and Sarasota.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:49 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,479,848 times
Nokomis is a beach town & like all other beach towns, there is a great diversity here. There are million dollar homes on the same block as tear downs & rentals. I will be honest, there are areas of Nokomis I would avoid. There are a few "rent a room" run down apts & not so nice trailer parks that seem to have a lot of "activity" going on. Obviously, you can avoid those but they do exist.

As an example, places on Laurel are a mix of good & bad. As SoFLGal mentioned Shackett Creek- I have friends that live there & it's a nice, cute little neighborhood. However, one of my first trips to their house, I mistakenly turned on a wrong road & ended up back in a communal type compound of shacks, cars on blocks, chain link fences & pit bulls snarling at my car. In addition, when we first moved here, my husband took my kids to the public park near Laurel. My, that was eye opening- young kids drinking, smoking, cussing, on the cell phone talking about their "baby daddy". Boy, my kids learned a lot that day. My friend who has lived here 15 years, laughed & said "what were you thinking?! You don't want to go there" when I told her about it. (there are other, much nicer parks in the area though)

Nokomis isn't a bad place at all. It has a lot of good stuff but it's not perfect. It's probably alot like most other beach towns in FL. I would encourage you to come & explore for yourself.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
Nokomis is a beach town & like all other beach towns, there is a great diversity here. There are million dollar homes on the same block as tear downs & rentals. I will be honest, there are areas of Nokomis I would avoid. There are a few "rent a room" run down apts & not so nice trailer parks that seem to have a lot of "activity" going on. Obviously, you can avoid those but they do exist.

As an example, places on Laurel are a mix of good & bad. As SoFLGal mentioned Shackett Creek- I have friends that live there & it's a nice, cute little neighborhood. However, one of my first trips to their house, I mistakenly turned on a wrong road & ended up back in a communal type compound of shacks, cars on blocks, chain link fences & pit bulls snarling at my car. In addition, when we first moved here, my husband took my kids to the public park near Laurel. My, that was an eye opening- young kids drinking, smoking, cussing, on the cell phone talking about their "baby daddy". Boy, my kids learned a lot that day. My friend who has lived here 15 years, laughed & said "what were you thinking?! You don't want to go there" when I told her about it.

Nokomis isn't a bad place at all. It has a lot of good stuff but it's not perfect. This isn't really unlike other beach towns in FL though. I would encourage you to come & explore for yourself.
Very true! Laurel is actually it's own separate town- //www.city-data.com/city/Laurel-Florida.html Laurel is, well different, than the actual town of Nokomis. Many people around here actually refer to them as one in the same. For instance Laurel/Nokomis School, which borders both towns. Laurel is so small many people just include it with the town of Nokomis. The other area you are referring to is the subdivision of Mobile City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>