Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,065,860 times

Advertisements

I never thought Id see the day to be honest.

I moved back up north for almost 6 months, but looking to head back to FL due to some family problems, but I dunno what it is, but it seems like I can actually look at the area positively opposed to before when I only went to St pete and Tampa to do my fun stuff because I didnt like the area at all.
I had some new experiences along the way up north and I think it gave me a new opinion on things. Who else is pretty optimistic about Palmetto/Bradenton area? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 03:36 PM

30 posts, read 78,640 times
Hey Doctor,
After living in the MCO area years ago it seems like all I've wanted to do was go back... but not to Orlando. My wife and I (in our early 40's w/2 kids) have been all over FL looking for "the spot" and we think we've found it in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. In fact, we would have put an offer on a place last July on a place East of Bradenton if we would have had a buyer for our place here in MI - still waiting for that buyer. We found a lot of things to like about the area of Bradenton we were in; A rated schools, houses with a little property around them and proximity to the beach were a few. Good luck on your return.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:53 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
I never thought Id see the day to be honest.

I moved back up north for almost 6 months, but looking to head back to FL due to some family problems, but I dunno what it is, but it seems like I can actually look at the area positively opposed to before when I only went to St pete and Tampa to do my fun stuff because I didnt like the area at all.
I had some new experiences along the way up north and I think it gave me a new opinion on things. Who else is pretty optimistic about Palmetto/Bradenton area? Thoughts?
Honestly, we have lived here in the area for the second time almost a year now, and the more I live here the more I appreciate Bradenton. It has an image problem right now with crime, which is somewhat exaggerated due to most of the crime happening in certain bad neighborhoods and gang related, but we love Bradenton, and think it has tremendous potential. This is a good time to buy in this area, prices are down and I truly believe with all my heart that over the next decade this area will transfrom into one of the most desirable places in Florida (if not the country) to live.

Good luck!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:04 AM

132 posts, read 325,164 times
Hi gypsychic,

Since you live closer to Bradenton, you know more about the crime problem in the area than I do. What gives you hope that there will be less crime in Bradenton over time? From a casual observer's view, I don't see this changing for the better, especially with the way the economy is.

Joe

Old 11-17-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesandbeachbum View Post
Hi gypsychic,

Since you live closer to Bradenton, you know more about the crime problem in the area than I do. What gives you hope that there will be less crime in Bradenton over time? From a casual observer's view, I don't see this changing for the better, especially with the way the economy is.

Joe
What do you mean - you don't see it changing EVER? Anyway, see my post above - and Bradenton has no more crime than Sarasota, it's just perceived differently - as I said most crime happens over and over in the same bad areas. I go to Bradenton a lot, I avoid the bad 'hoods, i never run into anything out of the ordinary. Bradenton is like any other city, it has good and bad. People reading these forums get a bit of a warped view of what this city is. It is not slick and fancy and new like a lot of Sarasota, but it is beautiful and charming and has that old 50's Florida look which I like - it's like the old south meets the tropics in looks. And more importantly there are lots of plans in the works to transform the downtown and run down parts of US 41 into an arts destination - of course this will take time and money, especially with the economy, but it will happen. Sarasota was just like this 10-15 years ago, it had NOTHING downtown, and all the neighborhoods around it were run-down, now, a decade later it is transformed. This will happen in Bradenton, too. That is just my feeling, the location and natural beauty of the area is too great for this not to happen. And the Village of the Arts up in Bradenton blows away the paltry Towles Court in Sarasota, IMO.

The OP asked who else was optimistic about this area, so I posted my optimism. I'm sure others will disagree with me, but that's OK, we all like something different and see things different ways. And as far as Palmetto, THAT is the town that right now really has a lot of problems and is very, very run-down with a LOT of crime. The area on the river is very, very nice, but unfortunately much of the town is not. Gonna be a long time for that town to transform into much.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:34 PM

132 posts, read 325,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
What do you mean - you don't see it changing EVER? Anyway, see my post above - and Bradenton has no more crime than Sarasota, it's just perceived differently - as I said most crime happens over and over in the same bad areas. I go to Bradenton a lot, I avoid the bad 'hoods, i never run into anything out of the ordinary. Bradenton is like any other city, it has good and bad. People reading these forums get a bit of a warped view of what this city is. It is not slick and fancy and new like a lot of Sarasota, but it is beautiful and charming and has that old 50's Florida look which I like - it's like the old south meets the tropics in looks. And more importantly there are lots of plans in the works to transform the downtown and run down parts of US 41 into an arts destination - of course this will take time and money, especially with the economy, but it will happen. Sarasota was just like this 10-15 years ago, it had NOTHING downtown, and all the neighborhoods around it were run-down, now, a decade later it is transformed. This will happen in Bradenton, too. That is just my feeling, the location and natural beauty of the area is too great for this not to happen. And the Village of the Arts up in Bradenton blows away the paltry Towles Court in Sarasota, IMO.

The OP asked who else was optimistic about this area, so I posted my optimism. I'm sure others will disagree with me, but that's OK, we all like something different and see things different ways. And as far as Palmetto, THAT is the town that right now really has a lot of problems and is very, very run-down with a LOT of crime. The area on the river is very, very nice, but unfortunately much of the town is not. Gonna be a long time for that town to transform into much.
You're right that Bradenton is perceived to have a higher crime rate. Fact or fiction, it is what it is.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:26 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,065,860 times
Based on what it seems like, many cities across the USA are having a rebirth (Lowell area MA where Im from) and Bradenton seems to be on this list. In a way, its like they are trying to make Bradenton a smaller St Pete although it be hard to imagine Bradenton ever having that much to do. I think if you look hard around the local area (like I learned to do) that people arent too hard to meet and you can see more.

Has anyone ever lived in the northeast by chance?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Based on what it seems like, many cities across the USA are having a rebirth (Lowell area MA where Im from) and Bradenton seems to be on this list. In a way, its like they are trying to make Bradenton a smaller St Pete although it be hard to imagine Bradenton ever having that much to do. I think if you look hard around the local area (like I learned to do) that people arent too hard to meet and you can see more.

Has anyone ever lived in the northeast by chance?
DoctorRain - please see my post that I started today:

//www.city-data.com/forum/saras...bradenton.html

There is so much more I haven't even included in that post - I just found out that Bradenton even has horseback riding on the beach - how cool is that? Anyway, there have been quite a few nice articles posted about Bradenton and the area, which is nice to see. I just think a lot of people just don't know what is up here.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:52 PM

10 posts, read 20,448 times
Would anyone be willing to tell what the bad areas of Bradenton are. We are thinking about moving down soon and what to know what to avoid.
THANKS

Old 11-26-2009, 08:38 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,660,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeler fan moving View Post
Would anyone be willing to tell what the bad areas of Bradenton are. We are thinking about moving down soon and what to know what to avoid.
THANKS
It depends if you actually want to be "in" Bradenton or just near Bradenton, what type of neighborhood you are interested in, and how much you are looking to spend.

You are should definitely avoid areas near downtown and along the 14th St/US41 corridor. You'll find that as you go west the neighborhoods get nicer. West of 26th St. for sure, and it will get progressively nicer with each major road that you cross (43rd, 51st, 59th etc)

There are some mixed neighborhoods along 59th St W, and you'll find some apartments and small neighborhoods of duplexes that are a little more low end.

There are some nice areas to the south along 41 closer to the airport, but you have to be careful since there are some pretty questionable areas along 41 both before the airport area, and after the airport area (although you are technically in Sarasota by then).

East manatee has some nicer pockets as well. There are some mixed neighborhoods along the west side of the river and east of the river should be pretty safe, although there are some more rural type areas in there.

While not exactly Bradenton, there are some nice areas out on 64, 70, and University once you go East of 75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area