Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,470 times

Advertisements

Hi! My parents recently moved to Venice FL and after visiting them I'm considering a move to the Sarasota area. I am teaching in northern VA and I had a number of questions/concerns that I would love some locals help with.
1) How is the teaching job market looking for next school year? I have been a teacher for 7 years and have a Masters degree, but if there are lots of layoffs that won't matter
2) where is an area that a middle class single woman can live where there's lots to do and other young single people?
3) I'm a huge sports addict - tennis, soccer, hockey, softball, etc. Are there lots of leagues for adults or clubs?
4) I looked at some communities when I visited but had trouble getting a feel for things - I really liked the Lakewood Ranch area, and there are some affordable houses in the "poorer" areas of the community, but is there a big gap between the regular middle-class professionals and the millionaires?? I'm looking for a townhouse/condo/house that's 2-3 bedrooms and under $200K.
Any help to know if Sarasota (or any nearby areas) is a good area for an active, single, laid back teacher, and also which are would be good for others of that description - please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 04:56 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,915,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsnteachin View Post
Hi! My parents recently moved to Venice FL and after visiting them I'm considering a move to the Sarasota area. I am teaching in northern VA and I had a number of questions/concerns that I would love some locals help with.
1) How is the teaching job market looking for next school year? I have been a teacher for 7 years and have a Masters degree, but if there are lots of layoffs that won't matter
2) where is an area that a middle class single woman can live where there's lots to do and other young single people?
3) I'm a huge sports addict - tennis, soccer, hockey, softball, etc. Are there lots of leagues for adults or clubs?
4) I looked at some communities when I visited but had trouble getting a feel for things - I really liked the Lakewood Ranch area, and there are some affordable houses in the "poorer" areas of the community, but is there a big gap between the regular middle-class professionals and the millionaires?? I'm looking for a townhouse/condo/house that's 2-3 bedrooms and under $200K.
Any help to know if Sarasota (or any nearby areas) is a good area for an active, single, laid back teacher, and also which are would be good for others of that description - please help!!
I'll try to tackle some of your questions

1) The job market is pretty bad here and teaching is no exception. My kids go to Pine View School in Osprey. It's a full time public gifted school in Osprey (just north of Venice). Here's what I find kind of confusing about the whole hiring of teachers. At the end of last year there were several of the PV teachers that were laid off. Some really great teachers I might add and I was told that they are downsizing and they made the decision according to seniority. So, then this year there were quite a few new teachers at PV. Seems kind of strange that they would lay off some really good teachers and say they were downsizing and then hire brand new teachers on at the beginning of the next school year. If you read the papers they say basically that they aren't really hiring.

2)I would suggest downtown Sarasota or possibly Tampa for the more happenin' spots. My husband and I actually went out a few weeks ago for the first time in years (without the kids) and we went to the Beach Club on Siesta Key. On Fri & Sat nights it gets pretty rockin' with live music, etc. We're in our mid 30's and there were people of all ages there, many our age. Some other people on the board have mentioned Meetup.com or The Sarasota Professionals Club, Sarasota Florida - Greater Sarasota Chamber of Commerce - Young Professionals Group (http://www.sarasotachamber.com/ypg/Young-Professionals-Group.cfm - broken link)

3)Bath & Racquet in Sarasota, A Sarasota Health Club and Tennis Club That's Home-Bath and Racquet Fitness Club and Serendipity, serendipity - Home Page are pretty popular for tennis. The YMCA has all kinds of stuff going on for adults-Soccer, tennis, kickball, football, basketball, volleyball, racquetball, Sarasota Family YMCA - Adult Fitness classes and Social Opportunities (http://www.sarasota-ymca.org/programs/adult-programs.cfm - broken link)

4)You might be able to pick up a villa over in The Country Club of Lakewood Ranch for in the low 200's. Or possibly a condo in Miramar Links in LWR in that range. Another place you might want to check out is Palmer Ranch. They don't have the CDD fees like LWR does and they are much closer to the beaches, mall, YMCA, etc than LWR. Here's a list of the communities in PR:

Bella Villino-condos
Pinestone-condos
Plaza de Flores-condos
Serenade-condos
Stoneybrook-condos, single family homes, villas
Botanica-condos
Vintage Grand-condos
Arielle-coach homes
Country Club of Sarasota-single family homes
Deer Creek-single family homes
Huntington Pointe-single family homes
Marbella-Single family homes and villas
Mira Lago-Single family homes and villas
Palisades-single family homes
Palmer Square-Coach homes and townhomes
Prestancia-Single family homes and condos
Silver Oak-Single family homes
Stonegbridge-Single family homes
The Hamptons-Single family homes
The Isles-Villas, townhomes, single family homes
Turtle Rock-Single family homes and villas
Village Walk-Townhomes, villas and single family homes
Wellington Chase-Single family homes

Good luck with your search

Old 12-01-2009, 05:15 AM

North Port isn't congested at all, it's just the opposite. Your right Venice is charming but it also has an median age of 68- //www.city-data.com/city/Venice-Florida.html . It's not the place I would pick for someone looking for "young single people".

Old 12-01-2009, 07:03 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,083,850 times
sportsntechin,

Welcome to the board!
I'm sure your are going to find a lot of great information and help to get your questions answered here. I see SoFLGal has already introduced herself. ;-) She is one of the most knowledgeable posters here as I'm sure you will learn quickly, or already know if you've read much here. There are a lot of other great helpful posters on this board that I'm sure will be along to help and tell you all about whats going on and things to do if you come down to visit again.

You are going to find the job market down in Flordia pretty tough, but if you can find something then you will love it down here! I'm from the Baltimore area, but built a ton of projects all over northern Virginia. When you said laid back, you defined the area pretty well. It is much more laid back than it is up in this area.

Where in NVA are you located?

Old 12-01-2009, 07:08 AM

166 posts, read 604,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I'll try to tackle some of your questions

1) The job market is pretty bad here and teaching is no exception. My kids go to Pine View School in Osprey. It's a full time public gifted school in Osprey (just north of Venice). Here's what I find kind of confusing about the whole hiring of teachers. At the end of last year there were several of the PV teachers that were laid off. Some really great teachers I might add and I was told that they are downsizing and they made the decision according to seniority. So, then this year there were quite a few new teachers at PV. Seems kind of strange that they would lay off some really good teachers and say they were downsizing and then hire brand new teachers on at the beginning of the next school year. If you read the papers they say basically that they aren't really hiring.
The district works as Seniority as a whole, not by school. So, more than likely the new teachers at Pine View were teachers that had higher seniority than those laid off from PV from other schools.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atroxanautin View Post
The district works as Seniority as a whole, not by school. So, more than likely the new teachers at Pine View were teachers that had higher seniority than those laid off from PV from other schools.
Actually they were brand new into the Sarasota county school system. That's what I don't understand. Another thing that I noticed is that they've moved some of the teachers around. For instance my daughters 4th grade language arts teacher is now teaching 6th grade. I don't know if this was done by the district or if the teachers requested to move around.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:29 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,083,850 times
Quote:
Actually they were brand new into the Sarasota county school system. That's what I don't understand. Another thing that I noticed is that they've moved some of the teachers around. For instance my daughters 4th grade language arts teacher is now teaching 6th grade. I don't know if this was done by the district or if the teachers requested to move around.
OK . . . Then I have to question the quality of the teachers at PV. If they just randomly move teachers around and into different positions randomly based on seniority rather than special qualifications. . . . how can they handle the rigors of teaching the brightest kids in the school system? I think that is a flaw. They should be hiring the best teachers to teach the brightest kids - if that is what the school is represented to be. I think that if teachers have to be laid off, then (that's a shame) but they should prioritize the need to provide the best possible education over the need of some teacher that has seniority in some poor performing school system. There are so many tremendously qualified teachers available and looking for a job, they should use this opportunity to hire and fill the ranks of the teachers with the very best, smartest, brightest, enthusiastic, teachers available; just like every other business in the private sector is doing if they are smart and want to be position themselves to surpass their competition in the future. That's what we are really talking about! Other countries are surpassing our education system, and we are letting them. I have to ask, WHY?

Does that logic make sense?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
OK . . . Then I have to question the quality of the teachers at PV. If they just randomly move teachers around and into different positions randomly based on seniority rather than special qualifications. . . . how can they handle the rigors of teaching the brightest kids in the school system? I think that is a flaw. They should be hiring the best teachers to teach the brightest kids - if that is what the school is represented to be. I think that if teachers have to be laid off, then (that's a shame) but they should prioritize the need to provide the best possible education over the need of some teacher that has seniority in some poor performing school system. There are so many tremendously qualified teachers available and looking for a job, they should use this opportunity to hire and fill the ranks of the teachers with the very best, smartest, brightest, enthusiastic, teachers available; just like every other business in the private sector is doing if they are smart and want to be position themselves to surpass their competition in the future. That's what we are really talking about! Other countries are surpassing our education system, and we are letting them. I have to ask, WHY?

Does that logic make sense?
Well, the PV teachers have to be Gifted Certified. It's another certification over and above what the regular teacher qualifications are.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,136,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsnteachin View Post
With a job in northern VA, why leave it now unless you have an in down here; teacher's job market is not healthy
Sarasota is a great place to check out as it's small enough to learn the area quick and it's location lends itself to day trips as well.
LIke SFLGAL said, lots of that
LWR is it's own little community; would love to know what you consider "poorer" areas.

A 2/3 for under $200K? hmmm...why? Get a free standing home already.

Many of these "condo" developments are just apartment complexes gone condo; I woulnd't touch them with a ten foot pole....

Sarasota is as busy as you want it to be; we have a lot of things going on here all year round.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:30 AM

513 posts, read 1,223,321 times
Quote:
Not saying this is the case, but have you considered that maybe they were reducing their costs of employment by bringing in fresh help that could be paid recession wages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area