Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 AM

209 posts, read 450,062 times

Advertisements

We are looking at purchasing a single family home on S. Longboat Key area for a full-time home, and wanted some feedback from those who have lived there or are familiar with the area. We are in Texas and have visited Siesta Key 3 times, but we are not as familiar with Longboat.

We are an "early 50's couple" and plan to live full-time in the Sarasota area. I work from home and kids are going to be living with us (in and out as they start junior college). Essentially, we are just looking for a fun, scenic area, that will have hopefully have good resale potential.

We hope to be close enough to a beach that it is convenient for walking nearly every day. We are also interested in owning a boat for fishing but don't consider it a top priority right away. The house we are considering does not have a boat slip/dock. So, I was wondering if there are many public marinas around there? I don't see myself having the boat with trailer -- i think that would inhibit short jaunts out on the water.

This particular house has a deeded access to the Bay Isle Beach Club, and I have not had the opportunity to check it out yet. I plan to call them today. Anyone familiar with it?

We have also considered a couple of houses on Siesta Key, but have not ruled out the mainland -- not too far from the beach. We would appreciate you sharing your experiences or opinions on any of these issues. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 AM

4,892 posts, read 14,081,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222muchcoffee View Post
We are looking at purchasing a single family home on S. Longboat Key area for a full-time home, and wanted some feedback from those who have lived there or are familiar with the area. We are in Texas and have visited Siesta Key 3 times, but we are not as familiar with Longboat.

We are an "early 50's couple" and plan to live full-time in the Sarasota area. I work from home and kids are going to be living with us (in and out as they start junior college). Essentially, we are just looking for a fun, scenic area, that will have hopefully have good resale potential.

We hope to be close enough to a beach that it is convenient for walking nearly every day. We are also interested in owning a boat for fishing but don't consider it a top priority right away. The house we are considering does not have a boat slip/dock. So, I was wondering if there are many public marinas around there? I don't see myself having the boat with trailer -- i think that would inhibit short jaunts out on the water.

This particular house has a deeded access to the Bay Isle Beach Club, and I have not had the opportunity to check it out yet. I plan to call them today. Anyone familiar with it?

We have also considered a couple of houses on Siesta Key, but have not ruled out the mainland -- not too far from the beach. We would appreciate you sharing your experiences or opinions on any of these issues. Thanks!
What about Lido Key? You can't get any closer to the beach than that & many homes on the canals with boat docks?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:11 AM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
What about Lido Key? You can't get any closer to the beach than that & many homes on the canals with boat docks?
I agree with Lady - what about Lido? Longboat is nice, but is quiet, conservative and older. If you will have kids living with you, I think Lido would fill the bill better, plus you just have much better access to a much nicer beach, and close to the action of St. Armand's.

JMO

Old 12-02-2009, 03:07 PM

I haven't seen any really come up in my search on MLS. I have a foreclosure in mind that I am looking at LBK, so maybe i am barely on the edge of affordability. Thanks for suggestion.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen any really come up in my search on MLS. I have a foreclosure in mind that I am looking at LBK, so maybe i am barely on the edge of affordability. Thanks for suggestion.
K. Had no idea...LBK taxes & insurance don't ever foreclose; be aware of that part of your purchase!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:50 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,819,850 times
I agree with what everyone has said but this home is only a few miles down LBK. It's really pretty close to Lido, about 6 miles or 13 minutes. I would normally say Lido or Siesta is a better option for you because of the kids but I think this home works due to the close proximity to Lido Beach. It also has it's own deeded beach access if you didn't want to take a drive.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:33 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,621,912 times
Please consider very carefully living on LBK. I know many friends and clients who first came to Sarasota and loved LBk (with a tourist tinted eye) forgetting how really small and isolated it is full of seasonal tourists and owners
They have made few friends and soon tired of LBK
If you want the beach loot at Lido, Siesta and Nokomis affordable cosmpolitan, and easy access to everwhere.
Just spend a few weeks in season negotiating St Almonds and the bridge and you will see wht I ma saying
Alternatively rent on LBK and see if you like it

Old 12-03-2009, 01:07 AM

Appreciate the views.... renting will make our qualifying for a loan even harder.... we will just have to take the plunge where ever we pick.

Lady w da fan -- not sure i followed what you said about the taxes and insurance never foreclose?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Appreciate the views.... renting will make our qualifying for a loan even harder.... we will just have to take the plunge where ever we pick.

Lady w da fan -- not sure i followed what you said about the taxes and insurance never foreclose?
Taxes & insurance on the key are high & will continue to rise more significantly due to the proximity to the gulf & bay.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:01 AM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Taxes & insurance on the key are high & will continue to rise more significantly due to the proximity to the gulf & bay.
Yes, and to add to that, insurance is very difficult to get, Citizen's may be the only option depending on age of home and other criteria. Plus there will be additional flood insurance. We live 2 blocks from the bay in an small, updated 1950's home and pay almost $3,000 per year for both HOI and flood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area