Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:16 PM

55 posts, read 134,820 times

Advertisements

Most folks in SWF arent "natives"....

Always thought it interesting to hear the stories of what brings people to this area or that and where they were from originally.

Anyone care to share their story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:32 PM

325 posts, read 1,021,145 times
Blizzard of 78'

Old 12-12-2009, 01:47 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,924,466 times
I think it was a Boeing 737 Mr.Cool

Old 12-12-2009, 03:37 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,444,423 times
After 48 brutal Maine winters I moved to SoFlo. After 3 yrs there of not feeling like I felt in,(or the need to keep up w/ the Jones's) I moved over here where I feel like I DO fit in. Way more laid back, quiet & comfortable.

I still go home for the summer though, because you just can't beat the coast of Maine in the summer time!

Old 12-12-2009, 04:12 PM

55 posts, read 134,820 times
Everyone notes the large difference in folks from the two coasts.

What explains the differences in the folks?

Old 12-12-2009, 04:45 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,444,423 times
IMO, only stating from the area in which I originally chose to live in, the people were way more materialistic. Which is completely different from which the way I was raised and chose to raise my own. Most were true 'big city' people that thrived on the commotion of living in the fast lane. I prefer the slow lane, it's much less stressful.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:53 PM

166 posts, read 602,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfwaymore View Post
Everyone notes the large difference in folks from the two coasts.

What explains the differences in the folks?
They come from different parts of the country. Historically, South Florida has attracted people from the Northeast and west/south west Florida (at least Tampa to Port Charlotte) more from the Midwest. The people from the Northeast are more likely to be from large cities such as NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, etc. The people from the Midwest come from smaller cities (comparatively) or least less cosmopolitan than the Northeast. I think that causes some of the difference, but just my opinion though.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:32 AM

94 posts, read 185,608 times
Default SWF Memories

I am not there yet, but am attempting a relocation to SWF. Why?

For me, it is nostalgia. I have been visiting Clearwater Beach since 1958. Visits ranged from 2 weeks to 8 weeks at a time. I remember "Old Florida"
and wish I could turn the clock back.

I always loved the feeling in SWF. And since I can't afford Clearwater Beach, and it has gotten too commercialized, I am looking in the Venice area.

I can't wait to get there.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:08 AM

425 posts, read 1,102,523 times
Default this is my story

right now we are part timers(very part time)I am flirtin with 50 and my husband is 57,I remember visiting my grandparents as a kid and teenager and loving it down there
As I get older these damn cold snowy northeastern winters are just not fun anymore, I want to be where it is at least warmer and I can enjoy my birds year-round.We picked SWF because husbands family is in North Ft Myers,my grandparents were in Punta Gorda first,then moved to Placida, We also bought in a 55 park that is owned by its residents and we own the land sure we might have paid a tad bit more,but the mortgage on the park is paid off, we have a very low HOA fee , we vote on decesions that are made, and the park is beautifully kept up, people are friendly and we are close to everything.
Lowes,HD,and Walmart are less than 3 miles away, a short walk to the library and 25 minute ride to Englewood beach-DH has always wanted to retire to Fla and since he has more vacation time than I do, he is down there more frequently. but on a wing and a prayer we will be flying in Saterday night into Punta Gorda,and will be there through the holidays. save some of that nice warm weather for us will you, would like to make it to the beach at least once while Im down

Old 12-13-2009, 03:42 PM

547 posts, read 923,694 times
Default Chased a girlfriend

October 1974. Chicago area. She was 17, I was 19. Economy was in the toilet and her dad was jobless and figured he could be warm and unemployed so he packed up and moved here. I had a great job, but I was in love and followed in june. We hadn't dated long before she moved but I knew the day we met that we would marry.
We will celebrate 35 years next monday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area