Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:28 AM

338 posts, read 1,011,866 times

Advertisements

My husband and a neighbor are positive they have seen a Fl panther crossing S San Mateo near our street. They are certain it was not a bob cat.Has any one else seen this cat? Should any authorities be notified since they are a highly endangered species? Also has anyone seen a black bob cat ? My neighbor has seen this also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 AM

33 posts, read 157,457 times
You very much may have seen a Florida Panther! An adult Florida Panther was struck and killed on RT 75 south bound near FT Myers this summer by a semi driver.

Driver hits, kills panther | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader

http://myfwc.com/panther/news/pdf/Re...nualReport.pdf

I have seen a black Bob Cat but it was in upstate NY, also one was spotted and filmed in West Palm Beach FL..... they do exist but very rare.

Unless you had human interaction with this animal, tracks that can be verified or a clear picture of the animal no reporting need to be done.

So have your camera and recorder handy when you are in that area and shoot it. On film of course.

Last edited by Vanwilder; 12-10-2009 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
Please, please, oh please dont take this the wrong way, but I am
an animal nerd so due to my excess of free time I feel the need to
assault you with this useless fact. Can be used while playing Trivial Pursuit
There is no such thing as a "Panther".
It is a generic term, like 'Kleenex'.
Panther can mean 4 breeds of Fl cats.
There are black Jaguars and Cougars. You probably saw a
Cougar. There is a black Bobcat sighting in FL, but it is an
anomoly, like a white tiger.
In any event, you have been blessed. Be happy you saw one of natures most spectacular accomplishments
Just a magnificent beast

Old 12-10-2009, 10:20 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,146 times
If you have spotted a real Florida panther, then you should probably call Friends of the Florida Panther Refuge at 888-404-3922.
Here's a link to their website....Welcome to Friends of the Florida Panther Refuge

Keep your camera and video handy so that they can positively ID the cat.

If it really is a Florida panther...wow you are extremely lucky. There is only about 100 left of them in the wild.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:11 PM

338 posts, read 1,011,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Please, please, oh please dont take this the wrong way, but I am
an animal nerd so due to my excess of free time I feel the need to
assault you with this useless fact. Can be used while playing Trivial Pursuit
There is no such thing as a "Panther".
It is a generic term, like 'Kleenex'.
Panther can mean 4 breeds of Fl cats.
There are black Jaguars and Cougars. You probably saw a
Cougar. There is a black Bobcat sighting in FL, but it is an
anomoly, like a white tiger.
In any event, you have been blessed. Be happy you saw one of natures most spectacular accomplishments
Just a magnificent beast
I have not seen it personally, my husband and neighbor say they have. I am skeptical that with only 100 Fl.Panthers(cougars) left that one is here in this developed neighborhood. I use the term Fl Panther because that seems to be what they are called to differentiate them from other versions of the cougar/mountain lion not native to Fl. My husband always tells me I am full of useless information

Old 12-10-2009, 09:14 PM

70 posts, read 245,826 times
My Mom lives in East Englewood. Where her house is there is alot of woods. She has seen bobcats alot of times and she has seen a panther, there is either two of them or she saw the same one two times. She did get a picture but it was taken through her screen on her lanai and it was getting a little dark out, but you could see it was a panther.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:31 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
We had a bobcat over here on Manasota Key last winter, it was just outside of my folks winter home. We kept hearing strange screeching noises outside and got finally a glimpse of it after dark. After researching the net we found that during that time it was mating season and those screeching noises are typical. After finding that very useful info I never let my little 5 lb pooch off the leash after dark again!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:32 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
My husband sees bobcats all the time when walking the dogs. He usually walks them early in the morning and at dusk.

We had a FL Panther (cougar) out on Little Gasparilla Island when I was a kid. It's kind of interesting because you can only get to the island by boat. He/she must of swam out there. I remember seeing it some morning when we were headed out for school-beautiful animals.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:44 AM

70 posts, read 245,826 times
Red face Bobcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
We had a bobcat over here on Manasota Key last winter, it was just outside of my folks winter home. We kept hearing strange screeching noises outside and got finally a glimpse of it after dark. After researching the net we found that during that time it was mating season and those screeching noises are typical. After finding that very useful info I never let my little 5 lb pooch off the leash after dark again!
Your so right about your little dog! When there were a more than a couple bobcats in my Mom's woods, numerous times the bobcats got some of her neighbors cats. She found one in her back yard, that was not a pretty sight.
When she moved to Englewood in 2001 she had a cat, and all her neighbors warned her to not let her cat outside because the bobcats would kill it. Thank God she listened.
They said they are even more aggresive when feeding their babies.
They sure are a pretty sight to see, we see them mostley before dusk.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:05 AM

2 posts, read 14,064 times
Default yes they probably did

Its very possible that that is what they have seen, I have seen one on river road, one in a new development in North Port and one in a new development in englewood.
Males have been known to use up to 300 square miles as their territory so to see one passing through anywhere locally is very possible.
There are @ 100 left that are known and tracked given their range and the introduction of the texas mountain lion to the area to facilitate breeding it is very possible for their to be a few roaming out there that are not tracked and accounted for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area