Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 04:40 PM

6 posts, read 8,677 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are just starting to look at Florida properties. It's always been our intention to spend at least part of the year in Florida once we retired (we're not nearly there yet - we're both 50), but with the market the way it is, he's interested in buying now and using it as a vacation house in the meantime. Hubby and the kids (16, 13, 10) want a beach house. Not a house on a lake or a canal, but something that's an easy walk to the beach. I've been looking online and I've zeroed in on Venice. Obviously we have to get down there and explore/rent in the various areas, but what do you think our best bets are to be close to a nice beach? Are there beach-close parts of Venice that are nicer than others? Also, have properties near the beach been significantly affected by the Florida real estate downturn, or do the houses with great locations come through relatively unscathed? Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 05:08 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
I spent the entire last two days looking at this very thing with a client and I just closed a home last week with a client the also had the same wish list as you. Both clients are your age and have kids almost the exact age as yours.

With one client I looked from Punta Gorda to Anna Maria and with the other we looked from Manasota Key to Anna Maria. Both clients liked the exact same areas. One area is on Longboat Key-Bay Isles. The community is immaculate, the HOAs are around $875 per year. You have your own private beach access with cabanas, volleyball courts, bathrooms, soda machines, barbecue grills, etc.

The choice #2 for both clients was Siesta. I personally thought this would be a great choice due to the beach, things for the kids to do, the village atmosphere, etc.

Many of the properties on the islands have come through unscathed but I think much of it has to do with being in the right place at the right time and knowing what you want. One of my clients picked up a foreclosure at a great deal in Bay Isles. It fit their needs perfectly and he got a great price. The other client is torn between two areas.

Each key has their own "feel" which is a bit hard to describe in words so I think it's best to come down and check them out in person. Even one key can be completely different, for example, Longboat Key. The south end is very manicured while the north end is kept more natural and is more "Old Florida". You can see Anna Maria, Holmes Beach, Bradenton Beach, Longboat Key, Casey Key, Venice, and Manasota in a long weekend, Fri-Sun.

Good luck with your search!

Old 03-14-2010, 12:13 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
i was going to also suggest mansota key, we stayed there a couple of years back ON the beach. you cant beat it, waking up to the sea, watching the sun set into the ocean and having birds share your lunch on the deck !!

you will find some good bargains right now depending on your budget, but watch out for the taxes !! we found once house that was a few mill and the taxes were $24k ayear !!! -wouldnt leave you enought to gas up the ferrari !!

Old 03-14-2010, 01:04 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Shhhhh..... I thought we had an agreement in here to never mention Manasota Key to anybody? It's supposed to be this areas best kept secret and apparently you guys aren't very good at keeping secrets!

Welcome mdoc, pls come explore "my" Key! Just don't tell anyone else!

Old 03-14-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
Shhhhh..... I thought we had an agreement in here to never mention Manasota Key to anybody? It's supposed to be this areas best kept secret and apparently you guys aren't very good at keeping secrets!

Welcome mdoc, pls come explore "my" Key! Just don't tell anyone else!
Hey Mermaid! I was out having lunch yesterday at the Lock n' Key. I was looking for you but didn't see you. I think maybe it was to early for you to be over there

Old 03-14-2010, 02:21 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Hey Mermaid! I was out having lunch yesterday at the Lock n' Key. I was looking for you but didn't see you. I think maybe it was to early for you to be over there
Ahhh..... I haven't been there in about a month or so. Way too crowded for me but in a month or so... I'll be back!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:48 PM

6 posts, read 8,677 times
Thanks everyone! I'm adding the barrier islands to my list of areas to check out. Are there any major disadvantages to being on the barrier islands rather than the mainland? I was a little leery of them until it occurred to me that Ocean City NJ, where I spent my childhood summers, is a barrier island (although I was oblivious to that at the time).

Old 03-14-2010, 05:53 PM

The disadvantages that come to mind are-all require flood insurance (if you're getting a mortgage), on the mainland some properties do and some don't.

The other disadvantage would be the traffic coming on and off of Siesta in the morning and late in the afternoon. This is usually only an issue during season and is due to the beach. The other keys really don't have this kind of issue.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:46 PM

204 posts, read 601,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
The disadvantages that come to mind are-all require flood insurance (if you're getting a mortgage), on the mainland some properties do and some don't.

The other disadvantage would be the traffic coming on and off of Siesta in the morning and late in the afternoon. This is usually only an issue during season and is due to the beach. The other keys really don't have this kind of issue.
Siesta was fun to live on for a bit, but drove us nuts after the honeymoon period. We rented out there for about 18 months, living on the grand canal (Commonwealth Dr). Getting across either bridge to the mainland often took half an hour or more during season. 30+ minutes to go 3 miles.

Moral of the Story: If you want to live on Siesta Key, either a) Don't live in the middle or b) Avoid peak traffic hours like the plague

Old 03-15-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHelmhazzard View Post
Siesta was fun to live on for a bit, but drove us nuts after the honeymoon period. We rented out there for about 18 months, living on the grand canal (Commonwealth Dr). Getting across either bridge to the mainland often took half an hour or more during season. 30+ minutes to go 3 miles.

Moral of the Story: If you want to live on Siesta Key, either a) Don't live in the middle or b) Avoid peak traffic hours like the plague
Excellent points!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area