Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:27 PM

683 posts, read 464,254 times

Advertisements

Wow..............what a ton of information from everyone.
Thank you....!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 03:03 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Suz, as someone who just recently went through the Sarasota home shopping process (we eventually bought in the Hamptons), and based on your criteria, I can't imagine Palmer Ranch won't be perfect for you.

As SoFlGal pointed out, there are a LOT of neighborhoods within Palmer Ranch, which is great when you're shopping for a home, because the neighborhoods are pretty diverse. The price point you're talking about is perfect--you'll end up in a gated community with whatever amenities you're looking for (assuming 4 bedrooms, a garage, and a pool is adequate).

Many of the communities in Palmer Ranch are tree-lined and generally green, with a very nice, natural feel. We saw a bald eagle on the edge of a lake in Prestancia when we were out looking at houses last time. My fiance about fell out of the car trying to get a picture ("Honey, please stop. If we're going to LIVE here, we can't look so much like tourists!").

I have shopped for homes in many markets in the country, and while Sarasota was not the cheapest, it was easily the most fun, because you really just don't know what you're going to see next in your price range.

Best of luck with your search!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:30 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Suz, as someone who just recently went through the Sarasota home shopping process (we eventually bought in the Hamptons), and based on your criteria, I can't imagine Palmer Ranch won't be perfect for you.

As SoFlGal pointed out, there are a LOT of neighborhoods within Palmer Ranch, which is great when you're shopping for a home, because the neighborhoods are pretty diverse. The price point you're talking about is perfect--you'll end up in a gated community with whatever amenities you're looking for (assuming 4 bedrooms, a garage, and a pool is adequate).

Many of the communities in Palmer Ranch are tree-lined and generally green, with a very nice, natural feel. We saw a bald eagle on the edge of a lake in Prestancia when we were out looking at houses last time. My fiance about fell out of the car trying to get a picture ("Honey, please stop. If we're going to LIVE here, we can't look so much like tourists!").

I have shopped for homes in many markets in the country, and while Sarasota was not the cheapest, it was easily the most fun, because you really just don't know what you're going to see next in your price range.

Best of luck with your search!
Rushmore,
What part /suburb of Baltimore are you from?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Rushmore,
What part /suburb of Baltimore are you from?
I have lived all over the Balt/DC area, both cities themselves and many of the suburbs of each.

I currently reside in Bolton Hill, in Baltimore City. My primary office is in Timonium (although I admit I rarely go there anymore).

Thirty-six days and counting.

Want to buy my house?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:41 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,078 times
St Augustine and Sarasota are two distinct totally different places.
More value for money in St Augustine, easier to get out of the State, younger people , St John's County has bets rated schools.
St Augustine has history as well as culture!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:30 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I have lived all over the Balt/DC area, both cities themselves and many of the suburbs of each.

I currently reside in Bolton Hill, in Baltimore City. My primary office is in Timonium (although I admit I rarely go there anymore).

Thirty-six days and counting.

Want to buy my house?
I live in Timonium (well actually I live here in SWFL 7-8 months out of the year), and I plan on putting my house on the market up there - sometime. Have you eaten at the B-bistro in Bolton Hill? I think that is the name of it.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I live in Timonium (well actually I live here in SWFL 7-8 months out of the year), and I plan on putting my house on the market up there - sometime. Have you eaten at the B-bistro in Bolton Hill? I think that is the name of it.
I live about three blocks from there. I feel as if I ought to own stock in the place. We eat in there twice a week.

It used to be once a week, back when it was just really good. But then they got a new chef about seven or eight months ago, totally changed the menu, dropped the prices 15-20% or so (!!), and the place is absolutely fantastic now.

They do incredible cheese plates, an amazing boullabaise (complete with scallops, mussels, and huge chunks of monkfish, my favorite fish), and the braised pork belly would make a vegetarian switch teams.

Really great place.

As you might discern from my post, my fiance and I are gung-ho restaurant freaks. We will need a whole new set when we move to Sarasota in a month.

So far, we have discovered some gems. The Bijou is very good. The pho place on Main is excellent. The Cork on St. Armand's is a nice spot.

Any recommendations?

Or does this maybe need its own thread?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:28 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
If you’re looking for a good place to stop for lunch or your new favorite restaurant try a few of my suggestions.

For fresh fish you have to go to Capt. Brian's right next to the Sarasota airport. The atmosphere isn't fantastic but the fish is great. If you wanted to venture a little father south you should try the Casey Key Fish House in Osprey. Fresh fish - plenty of places, we just ate at a fabulous little place on Anna Maria Island called the Waterfront - freshest fish I ever tasted and very "foodie."
For Indian try Tandoor off Clark Rd. A friend of mine owns the restaurant.

The Columbia on St Armand's has pretty good food.

If you're looking for a great home cooked Amish meal and wonderful pies stop into Yoder's on Bahia Vista Blvd.

DaRuMa Japanese Restaurant over on Fruitville Rd has really great tempura.

I always stop into Whole Foods for lunch when I'm up that way. They will do for your organic fix.

I loved 5one6 and the Canvas Café but I heard rumor they both closed down. Maybe someone can verify this.

Citrus Café over on Pineapple Ave off Main St is a good place to stop in for a sandwich.

The Bijou Café on 1st St is always a really safe bet and an excellent place to eat.

The Old Packing House Café off of Cattleman has a really quirky, unusual atmosphere and good food.

For breakfast, two great places downtown are Station 400 (great quality, local food!) and C'est la Vie - (delicious quality, authenitic French) and many great bakeries downtown

One of our Mexican restaurants called Mi Pueblo on Univeristy Parkway now offers a separate organic/vegan menu. Also good Mexican downtown Main St - Cinco de Mayo. Best Thai place is Bangkok, and we have lots of other Asian/sushi etc. places.

If you happen to find yourself out on Siesta Key, stop by Blase it’s awesome & unique, a must! You won't think much of it as you walk up to the place. But, once your seated, you perspective will change immediately. It is a rare find! For breakfast Sun Garden Cafe (organic and locally grown ingredients) or Cafe Continental Patisserie... The Broken Egg is still a personal favorite. Lobster Pot or the more casual SKOB (Siesta Key Oyster Bar) for seafood, Blu Smoke Island Grill, or The Hub for fresh Mexican. JoTo's for Japanese, Ophelia's on the Bay for romantic continental dinner. One of the best Italian dinners we've had was at the Cafe Gabbiano. Check out the Bamboo Bistro on Ocean Blvd. I had breakfast there a few mornings ago and it was great. The fresh squeezed OJ was terrific, so was the veggie omelet.

Pacific Rim in Hillview: Has martinis and excellent sushi.

Crab and Fin on St Armand Circle, pricey but great seafood. Eat dinner outside, then stroll around the circle for an ice-cream and walk down to the beach with it. Awesome!
I think Beerme suggested, Heinrich's German and Solorzano's Italian Restaurant. He says it's an over the top Italian experience. Fantastic food and ambience.

OK, I'm outta ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area