Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 AM

11 posts, read 27,344 times

Advertisements

I need your help!

My husbands' contract with the US ARMY ends this Summer 2010.
We really wanted to move to South Florida, somewhere between
Boca Raton and North Lauderdale - No further South than North Lauderdale (place is too "ghetto") and no further North of Boca Raton - too expensive.

But right now, we're renting a beautiful home in El Paso, TX ( we're stationed here), and we're only paying $800/Monthly.
It's getting harder and harder finding a nice home, for sale, rent, or lease for us.. that would atleast be as nice as the one we live in now.. 3+ bedrooms/ 2+ baths, GREAT area for family, Good size backyard, good schools...
and anything CLOSE to that in that area in Florida would be over $1200/monthly... & All I'm finding our Condos, No Single Family Homes, What should we do?!

Im almost giving up on South Florida, and looking Northern Florida..
Where in Florida should we look???? this is what we want...

3 Bedrooms, 2 Baths.. Age of home is not a big deal, we just want the
house to look DECENT, Clean, and Safe neighborhood for 2 toddlers.
We want to live in the East Coast, NOT ON the beach, I know that would be way too expensive, but atleast 30 Mintues to it.

As far as the area, we want to live close to shopping, entertainment
walmarts, movie theaters, etc. We dont really care about the people.
Just a Nice area, with good schools for our boys.

Someone HELP! The only places I have to say Absolutely NO to are
Dade County, and Orange County. (Lived there before don't like it)

Please help

Email me if you'd like :

emmapassionsfl@hotmail.com

Thanks!
-Woodallfamily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 11:33 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
are you not on the wrong board ? These are east Coast loacations whereas this forum covers SW fl.
yes there are places that could be recommended that meet your price criteria but not your geographical one.

besides anyone here offering recommendations is accused of doing so to linbe their own pockets (sorry 'in' joke here lately)

Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Hi Woodall Family,

Firstly, I'd like to welcome you to the board!

There is a lot more to consider for your family than just a place that meets the rents that you can afford, or the home price.

As many people will advise soon, you should be concentrating on finding a job. The job market in TX, although maybe not where you'd like to be is better than it is in Florida. Florida is a tough place to find a job, but it is better than some places, and worse than others. A job that meets your financial needs is probably your most important need that you have to satisfy first.

You can get employment here, although it is tough, and if you have the necessary skill-sets it will be easier, but I have no idea what you guys do for a living.

That said, If you can pay anywhere near the $1200.00/month rent, you can find a decent home in the SWFL area, near a good school (another important consideration!!). I would look in Sarasota County, you are close to the Gulf, or can be within 30 minutes. I would also look around Sarasota, but North Port is more affordable, and has access to Sarasota County Schools.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask, you will get a lot of help and advice here. Also, you can DM me as will if you like. In order to Direct Message someone (DM) you click on their name, and a drop down window will appear allowing you to send a direct message - it maintains your privacy as well.

One of the best things about living in SWFL is all the outdoor activities, and events that are available to you. Do you like to bike, kayak, swim, play tennis, golf, night life, drink beer (one of my favorite pastimes), flirt (my other favorite pastime) , etc....? Discussing that can help you find a good area to settle down as well.

Good Luck!

Old 01-13-2010, 02:42 PM

As far as Jobs Go, we know what we want, and know what we're going to get.
We already know that our budget for a Home will be around $800-1000/monthly..
I Maybe shoulda written this post alittle bit clearer -
What I am asking is, what AREA in Florida, aside from Dade County, & Orange County
should we be looking at to live...?
Within our Budget. We just basically want to live in a good area, with good schools
With stuff to do on the weekends, and live somewhere Close to the Beaches.

Thank you for your Replys, by the way

Old 01-13-2010, 02:54 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
well for beaches and within your budget i would guess you are looking at maybe Venice, englewood or possibly North Port (with a bit longer drive)

Old 01-13-2010, 03:04 PM

513 posts, read 1,223,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodallFamily View Post
As far as Jobs Go, we know what we want, and know what we're going to get.
We already know that our budget for a Home will be around $800-1000/monthly..
I Maybe shoulda written this post alittle bit clearer -
What I am asking is, what AREA in Florida, aside from Dade County, & Orange County
should we be looking at to live...?

Within our Budget. We just basically want to live in a good area, with good schools
With stuff to do on the weekends, and live somewhere Close to the Beaches.

Thank you for your Replys, by the way
First-off, thank your husband for his service for me. And thank you for all the support you've given him while off doing a hard duty for this nation.

As for what area of Florida you should live in, without knowing what your job skills are, or if you have family ties to reach out to if needed, then I would have to respond that you shouldn't even consider Florida. The Florida unemployment rate is 11.5% and the Sarasota area is 12.6%. That's a tough ride for a family, let alone one with young children.

On the same token, I'm not being negative on the area other than for the employment aspect. For a military retiree such as myself, who has the cushion of a pension, it could be a perfect fit. This is the place to come when you retire, not when you're making your mark and fortune.

I would highly recommend that you take a hard look at Maryland. Sure, you'll get some low temps and snow from time to time, but the schools are some of the best in the nation, and it's a friendly place for veterans because of the proximity to D.C and the abundance of government and defense industry jobs. And these are the kinds of careers that will land you back to this place years down the road without a care in the world.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:46 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
First-off, thank your husband for his service for me. And thank you for all the support you've given him while off doing a hard duty for this nation.

As for what area of Florida you should live in, without knowing what your job skills are, or if you have family ties to reach out to if needed, then I would have to respond that you shouldn't even consider Florida. The Florida unemployment rate is 11.5% and the Sarasota area is 12.6%. That's a tough ride for a family, let alone one with young children.

On the same token, I'm not being negative on the area other than for the employment aspect. For a military retiree such as myself, who has the cushion of a pension, it could be a perfect fit. This is the place to come when you retire, not when you're making your mark and fortune.

I would highly recommend that you take a hard look at Maryland. Sure, you'll get some low temps and snow from time to time, but the schools are some of the best in the nation, and it's a friendly place for veterans because of the proximity to D.C and the abundance of government and defense industry jobs. And these are the kinds of careers that will land you back to this place years down the road without a care in the world.

Good luck, whatever you choose.
Dreamy,
You comments about Maryland/DC/VA are very true.
It is struggling with jobs, but by comparision, it has always been much stronger than most areas of the country. You have a strong national government, an area where companies from all over the world want to have headquarters, a very strong military presence, strong state governments (MD and VA)(all though they are hurting because of the economy as well), a pretty strong technology and communication sector, and they really do have good schools there.

Where are you living? And did you live in that area? - Just curious.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 PM

513 posts, read 1,223,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Dreamy,
You comments about Maryland/DC/VA are very true.
It is struggling with jobs, but by comparision, it has always been much stronger than most areas of the country. You have a strong national government, an area where companies from all over the world want to have headquarters, a very strong military presence, strong state governments (MD and VA)(all though they are hurting because of the economy as well), a pretty strong technology and communication sector, and they really do have good schools there.

Where are you living? And did you live in that area? - Just curious.
I can't give out anything specific, you know we have that creepy, stalker thing going on. That isn't directed at you or anyone here really, I'm joking with that, but I don't believe in putting out much information about yourself on the net.

But on a general basis for the answer, I do live in Maryland. If the poster wants some very specific recommendations about where to look in Maryland, they can respond that they would like the advice and I'll post the info. If you send your kids to the right public schools in this state, they're prepared to go places in life.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
well for beaches and within your budget i would guess you are looking at maybe Venice, englewood or possibly North Port (with a bit longer drive)
Thank you! I haven;t looked at those places yet, so I'll take a look, now.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:20 PM

Dreamy46 & BigHouse;

Both thanks...
Dreamy46, Maryland wouldn't be an option for my husband... He doesn't want to have anything to do with anything outside of Florida. He is petrified with the Cold, and We were both raised in Florida..
(Him, in central fla, and I in South fla.) Maryland sounds wonderful, but the cold is what gets to us.

BigHouse;
I dont know if you were asking ME, the ( why you're moving?) question or Dreamy46 the question, but either way I will answer for me -
My Husband and I are living in El paso, TX he is in the Military and is Stationed here.
His contract with the Army is up in July 2010

We are moving to Florida, simply because our family is there, and we were raised there.
For all of you that question about jobs; The reason why Im not so concerned is because
My husband has Management experience.. he isn't too picky about what management job, honestly, for NOW we are just concerned about our Boys, and where they will be growing up.
My Husband is now looking for Jobs, already of course, and has already gotten some feedback, BUT
where we are looking at, unfortunately is where Im not really having any luck with anything in our budget, schools, and I'm kinda not sure if South Florida (eastcoast) is really a good place to raise our boys.. yet, they have GREAT Jobs.. ( what my husband wants).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area