Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:13 AM

150 posts, read 425,698 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking for a place To retire to. i have asked same questions in different forums about different cities. I would be grateful is someone explained to me the ins and out of utilities costs and taxes. I see that there are plenty of homes in the city (outside also) for under 80,000. The photos seem to be ok. Does anyone think i would need much work done on em. Also what is the combined tax rate for homes in this price range. For example what would my yearly taxes be and homeowners insurance on home $75,000(i under 65 yrs of age).Also I heard utility prices high ,is that true? I coming from new york city where we get more snow and utilities higher i think than you.What can i expect my monthly electricity bill to be low and high and gas bill(heating) on the type of homes common in this area.I would appreciate any help you can give. Coffee will be on me(or beer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 11:27 AM

513 posts, read 1,218,147 times
Try this:

Cost of Living comparison calculator

And this:

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...tofliving.html

Old 12-21-2009, 12:09 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,909,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyranger View Post
I see that there are plenty of homes in the city (outside also) for under 80,000. The photos seem to be ok. Does anyone think i would need much work done on em.
Just fyi... homes in that price range are being grabbed up by floppers and real estate agents looking to make a quick buck. There are articles and threads posted with information on the subject.

Not saying with luck you would be able to buy a home in that price range, but your competition will be stiff with insider real estate trading, who include real estate agents and investors with cash monies, etc.

It is a possibility, since I assume you are not amongst the real estate insiders in this area, you will be able to buy that 80k home once they have fixed it up at a higher price, or you could possible rent the property, while the realtors and investors sit on the property for a year or so before selling it for profit, in order to avoid possible federal investigation of their business practices.

Best way to get a property in your price range is to get to know people down here.

Last edited by Col.W.Deering; 12-21-2009 at 12:18 PM..

Old 12-21-2009, 12:15 PM

268 posts, read 1,064,444 times
Quote:
Hello, I am looking for a place To retire to. i have asked same questions in different forums about different cities. I would be grateful is someone explained to me the ins and out of utilities costs and taxes. I see that there are plenty of homes in the city (outside also) for under 80,000. The photos seem to be ok. Does anyone think i would need much work done on em. Also what is the combined tax rate for homes in this price range. For example what would my yearly taxes be and homeowners insurance on home $75,000(i under 65 yrs of age).Also I heard utility prices high ,is that true? I coming from new york city where we get more snow and utilities higher i think than you.What can i expect my monthly electricity bill to be low and high and gas bill(heating) on the type of homes common in this area.I would appreciate any help you can give. Coffee will be on me(or beer).
Sent you a PM.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:44 PM

13 posts, read 53,223 times
Default Home Owner's Insurance

Quote:
I can give you an idea on home insurance. North Port is actually one of the cheaper areas to live in when it comes to home insurance. Most of the homes there are newer and qualify for many discounts. The average cost for policies that we write in that area range from $400 - $900 a year depending on age and replacement cost mostly.

Just a tip if you are looking into purchasing a home that is a bit older. Look into getting a wind loss mitigation inspection. These can provide excellent savings if you have an older home but a roof that is up to code.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:20 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,827,670 times
I'm still away and typing on my Blackberry. So its a bit difficult but I'll do my best to answer your questions.

I live in NP and my insurance runs me $737 per year. Most of NP does not require flood insurance. Just to give you an idea, my home is 2127 under air, has hurricane shutters, a hip roof and was built in 2003.

I can't give you specifics on electic bills cause I'm not at home right now. Generally my bill runs between $150-$200 per month. That's with a family of 5 and four girls in the shower all the time and constant laundry going. No pool or pool heater though, which would make the bill higher. There is usually no gas bill. It would just be in with the charge for your electric. Also much of NP is on well so you would just have the price of salt to put in the well and then we have the guy come out every six months to scrub the tank out and change the filters. That runs us about $100 every 6 months.

Taxes have been coming down on homes because the assessed values have been decreasing. Each MLS sheet will have the current taxes on it.

Its not that hard finding a newer home in NP in the $80k range. You just have to be ready to jump when they come up. Like someone else pointed out, there are a lot of investors and real estate agents snatching up properties to flip or rent out. Almost all of our deals are all cash and closing in 2 wks.

My partner and I list a lot of the foreclosure properties in town and we keep a list of what our clients are looking for. When something comes up that matches their criteria we give them a ring. We usually get the foreclosures about a month prior to them going public (on the MLS). They must go on the MLS but often times our customers get a heads up as to what's going to be coming on the market that might fit their criteria.

A few webistes that might be helpful are: Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS and My Safe Florida Home

The first website is the public side to the MLS. Its way more up to date and current then Realtor.com, zillow.com, etc it covers 18 counties. And the second website tells about the wind mitigation inspections. Just to give you an idea, before I had a wind mit done my insurance was $1987 per year and after it was $727. I didn't do anything to my home but have them come inspect it. The insprection usually runs around $150-$200 and some home inspectors are not charging for it and just including it in the price of a home inspection.

Good luck with your search!

Old 01-13-2010, 01:34 PM

15 posts, read 54,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I'm still away and typing on my Blackberry. So its a bit difficult but I'll do my best to answer your questions.

I live in NP and my insurance runs me $737 per year. Most of NP does not require flood insurance. Just to give you an idea, my home is 2127 under air, has hurricane shutters, a hip roof and was built in 2003.

I can't give you specifics on electic bills cause I'm not at home right now. Generally my bill runs between $150-$200 per month. That's with a family of 5 and four girls in the shower all the time and constant laundry going. No pool or pool heater though, which would make the bill higher. There is usually no gas bill. It would just be in with the charge for your electric. Also much of NP is on well so you would just have the price of salt to put in the well and then we have the guy come out every six months to scrub the tank out and change the filters. That runs us about $100 every 6 months.

Taxes have been coming down on homes because the assessed values have been decreasing. Each MLS sheet will have the current taxes on it.

Its not that hard finding a newer home in NP in the $80k range. You just have to be ready to jump when they come up. Like someone else pointed out, there are a lot of investors and real estate agents snatching up properties to flip or rent out. Almost all of our deals are all cash and closing in 2 wks.

My partner and I list a lot of the foreclosure properties in town and we keep a list of what our clients are looking for. When something comes up that matches their criteria we give them a ring. We usually get the foreclosures about a month prior to them going public (on the MLS). They must go on the MLS but often times our customers get a heads up as to what's going to be coming on the market that might fit their criteria.

A few webistes that might be helpful are: Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS and My Safe Florida Home

The first website is the public side to the MLS. Its way more up to date and current then Realtor.com, zillow.com, etc it covers 18 counties. And the second website tells about the wind mitigation inspections. Just to give you an idea, before I had a wind mit done my insurance was $1987 per year and after it was $727. I didn't do anything to my home but have them come inspect it. The insprection usually runs around $150-$200 and some home inspectors are not charging for it and just including it in the price of a home inspection.

Good luck with your search!
Hi, I just joined this forum. I am also thinking of retiring in the North Port area. ( I was looking at the Spring Hill area but the sink holes are a big concern to me.)Venice seems a little high priced but really pretty. I have gotten so much good info from this sight.
I was wondering if the North Port area has any flood plain areas to beware of. Also, there seems to be alot of lots for sale. Are there any deed restrictions or HOA fees.I have been going on Realtor.com and looking at some nice places. But I would like feedback on good neighborhoods.
The prices of homes jump all around the place! Do most residents have windstorm and flood insurance? I am in Key West and I am so tired of the expensive insurance I need. Also, we are now mandated to hook up to central sewage and it is a very expensive headache. I am concerned that I amy have to go through this again in North Port.
Also, how dog friendly is the area? Any gators, or animals that might eat my cats?
I am driving through soon and taking a good look around. I love the rural feel of the area but it is close to shopping and hospitals.
Thanks for all the feedback! Scooterdoo

Old 01-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterdoo View Post
Hi, I just joined this forum. I am also thinking of retiring in the North Port area. ( I was looking at the Spring Hill area but the sink holes are a big concern to me.)Venice seems a little high priced but really pretty. I have gotten so much good info from this sight.
I was wondering if the North Port area has any flood plain areas to beware of. Also, there seems to be alot of lots for sale. Are there any deed restrictions or HOA fees.I have been going on Realtor.com and looking at some nice places. But I would like feedback on good neighborhoods.
The prices of homes jump all around the place! Do most residents have windstorm and flood insurance? I am in Key West and I am so tired of the expensive insurance I need. Also, we are now mandated to hook up to central sewage and it is a very expensive headache. I am concerned that I amy have to go through this again in North Port.
Also, how dog friendly is the area? Any gators, or animals that might eat my cats?
I am driving through soon and taking a good look around. I love the rural feel of the area but it is close to shopping and hospitals.
Thanks for all the feedback! Scooterdoo
North Port has a very small section that is in a flood zone. I would say 95% of NP is not in a flood zone. Most of the property located in the flood zones run along the Myakkahatchee River and are west of US 41. Yeah there are a ton of lots for sale. Basically there's no demand for them since the building has stopped and many of the investors have gone away. That's what was fueling the high lot prices before.

You would most likely be on well and septic if you are located in NP. I have heard of no plans for now or in the near future of hooking and water or sewer lines up. I like having a well, the monthly expense is very minimal.

Just depends on what you're looking for as far as the neighborhoods. The neighborhood names go by the main neighborhood street running through them. For instance, I live off of Chamberlain Blvd. So, I'm in the Chamberlain neighborhood. Over off south Biscayne Blvd is a lot 1950's-60's style homes. This was the original NP neighborhood. From Sumter Blvd to Toledo Blade Blvd is more populated than out east of I-75 or east of Toledo Blade Blvd. So, if you want a more populated neighborhood stick in between Sumter Blvd and Toledo Blade Blvd. Most of the homes in North Port where built after 2000.

Then you have the gated communities-Heron Creek, Bobcat Trail, Lakeside Plantation, Cypress Groves, Charleston Park and Talon Bay.

My home owners insurance is $727 per month with the wind mit credit. The home was built in 2003, hip roof, hurricane shutters, cincrete block, 2127 under air and no pool.

I would say NP is extremely dog friendly. My husband walks our two pups every evening with the neighborhood ladies. There are probably about 10 other dog walkers that walk with him.

Now on to the cat. There are Bobcats, hawks, etc in the area. I suppose they could/might eat a cat given the opportunity. We have an outside cat that we've had for about 6 years and she's still roaming around. She kind of showed up on our doorstep with kittens and we adopted her. Got her spayed and found homes for the kittens.

So, gators. Yup we have them here. They are mostly found in the canals and in the golf course water traps. They usually won't bother you if you don't feed them or swim in the water with them. You can check out my blog on my page "Reason not to move to Florida" it has a piece on gators and other menacing things in the area.

I live in North Port and really like it. Good luck with your searching

Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 AM

15 posts, read 54,325 times
Thanks so much for the info. If I see something for sale in the area would you like to show it to me?
I still have no idea what I am going to do; still up in the air on everything. I have Homestead exemption on my home here so my taxes are lower. If I bought there I would pay the whole thing. I would try and rent it out until I was ready to move. Is it possible to rent homes in North Port?
I am not going to give up my home in Key West. I may want to move back someday.
I am only going to buy a concrete house with hip roof. As hurricane proof as I can get. Also a pool and a fenced yard, no canals. I saw a house that looked cute at 4530 Oakley Rd on Realtor.com.
Have you seen that one?
The area near Warm mineral springs looks interesting. Do you know anything about that area?
Also, someone told me to look at Osprey, FL
Thanks scooterdoo

Old 01-14-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterdoo View Post
Thanks so much for the info. If I see something for sale in the area would you like to show it to me?
I still have no idea what I am going to do; still up in the air on everything. I have Homestead exemption on my home here so my taxes are lower. If I bought there I would pay the whole thing. I would try and rent it out until I was ready to move. Is it possible to rent homes in North Port?
I am not going to give up my home in Key West. I may want to move back someday.
I am only going to buy a concrete house with hip roof. As hurricane proof as I can get. Also a pool and a fenced yard, no canals. I saw a house that looked cute at 4530 Oakley Rd on Realtor.com.
Have you seen that one?
The area near Warm mineral springs looks interesting. Do you know anything about that area?
Also, someone told me to look at Osprey, FL
Thanks scooterdoo
I talk on the boards and give information about areas, jobs (or lack thereof) Just give me a shout privately and we can talk more about your personal needs.

North Port has more annual rentals as opposed to seasonal because of the location being located 30 minutes from the beaches. You shouldn't have to hard of a time finding a renter although there are a lot of rentals in the area. It's kind of like a beauty contest. If you're the prettiest one in the show for the lowest price, you win. I usually advertise my rentals on Craigslist and within a week I have them rented.

Just checked out the home on Oakley. The only issue I see is that it's a short sale. Instead of posting the whole process here you can check out my blog for a more detailed description as to how they work. In a nutshell, they might not go for list price often higher) and they usually take a long time to close-the average is around 4 months but I have seen 16 months.

On to Warm Mineral Springs. Many of the homes in there were built in the 1950's. The Springs is more an area come to to vacation. Many of our Ukraine and Germany friends visit there because of the believed healing power of the Springs. Not sure if you'd like it, you'd have to check it out and decided. That's just my overview.

The Osprey area is very nice. If you're going to venture father north you're to be getting into more expensive homes. You didn't mention your price range but if yo took the same home in North Port and placed it up in Osprey you'd be paying at the minimum double the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area