U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 06:30 PM

5 posts, read 8,136 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area and just received a position in Lakewood Ranch that I'll be starting in mid-jan. I'm trying to decide what areas to look into renting while thinking about purchasing, depending on how the job goes in about 1-2 years.
Some info about me, I love the beach, like going out to see movies and I'm into the arts and culture sort of thing and going out to see bands live at the bars on occasional. I'm also a bit of a foodie. The idea of at some point owning a flats boat sounds intriguing I must say. I'm a pretty casual kind of a person. I'm single, no kids, but it would be nice to meet single women in my age range (I'm 30).

M-F at my new job usually 9-6 so I would prefer not having a killer commute.
I'm looking at spending somewhere between $800-1250 on a house or apartment with at least two bedrooms (need room for guest and an office). This is less than 20% of my net pay each month which seems like a reasonable number to me, let me know if that is off for the area soem places housing typically eats up a larger chunk.
Access to a semi-heated pool is a must (I like to go for a swim at least once a day in the morning or evening)
I've heard of people living as far away as St. Pete beach and working in Lakewood ranch. How is that commute? If I decided to live in the Lakewood Ranch area is their much to do? I've been to downtown sarasota before and found it really enjoyable as well as Siesta Key (love the beach) but it seems like it might be a bit of a commute.

Any ideas on where I might find a place that I'll enjoy living considering my age and lifestyle?
I've been looking for about a month now and I've just gotten bogged down.
I appreciate any and all advice.
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 08:50 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,317,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorny View Post
I'm new to the area and just received a position in Lakewood Ranch that I'll be starting in mid-jan. I'm trying to decide what areas to look into renting while thinking about purchasing, depending on how the job goes in about 1-2 years.
Some info about me, I love the beach, like going out to see movies and I'm into the arts and culture sort of thing and going out to see bands live at the bars on occasional. I'm also a bit of a foodie. The idea of at some point owning a flats boat sounds intriguing I must say. I'm a pretty casual kind of a person. I'm single, no kids, but it would be nice to meet single women in my age range (I'm 30).

M-F at my new job usually 9-6 so I would prefer not having a killer commute.
I'm looking at spending somewhere between $800-1250 on a house or apartment with at least two bedrooms (need room for guest and an office). This is less than 20% of my net pay each month which seems like a reasonable number to me, let me know if that is off for the area soem places housing typically eats up a larger chunk.
Access to a semi-heated pool is a must (I like to go for a swim at least once a day in the morning or evening)
I've heard of people living as far away as St. Pete beach and working in Lakewood ranch. How is that commute? If I decided to live in the Lakewood Ranch area is their much to do? I've been to downtown Sarasota before and found it really enjoyable as well as Siesta Key (love the beach) but it seems like it might be a bit of a commute.

Any ideas on where I might find a place that I'll enjoy living considering my age and lifestyle?
I've been looking for about a month now and I've just gotten bogged down.
I appreciate any and all advice.
Thanks
Sounds like Southside Village might appeal to you since you like going to the beach, restaurants and culture. You could probably find something in your range for renting as well. From LWR it would be about a 30 min drive, depending on the time of day and the season. Southside is the area north of Siesta Dr, south of Main St and west of US 41. It's a pretty trendy, cool, funky area. It would also be pretty close to the north bridge on Siesta Key.

Now if you were looking into the St Pete area it wold be a 40-45 min drive. To me that's a little long for an everyday drive but everyone has their own tolerance. Plus the beaches aren't as pretty up that way, IMO.

Good luck with it

Old 12-29-2009, 10:53 AM

I'm having a hard time finding rentals in that area. Still torn on area's, I've been around that area before when going to morton's and liked it.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:04 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,317,633 times
Quote:
I'm having a hard time finding rentals in that area. Still torn on area's, I've been around that area before when going to morton's and liked it.
Maybe Ladywithafan could give you some ideas. She lives in that area and I think she pays less than what you posted for rent??

Old 12-29-2009, 01:30 PM

4,845 posts, read 13,235,384 times
Quote:
Hi there!

I live in Southside village in an old historical home around the corner from Hillview. Used to live right downtown on Palm Ave, needed a change of view and just love it. House is shared with room mates & extremely affordable as far as location & amenities.

As far as finding a rental, if you have the ability to drive the area, you'd see for rent signs on the houses, there are some condos that rent, right by Siesta Drive by the Shell station....I'd check craigslist morning, noon & night. If a semi heated pool is a requirement, then you would want to rent a condo.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Hi there!

I live in Southside village in an old historical home around the corner from Hillview. Used to live right downtown on Palm Ave, needed a change of view and just love it. House is shared with room mates & extremely affordable as far as location & amenities.

As far as finding a rental, if you have the ability to drive the area, you'd see for rent signs on the houses, there are some condos that rent, right by Siesta Drive by the Shell station....I'd check craigslist morning, noon & night. If a semi heated pool is a requirement, then you would want to rent a condo.
I'll be back in town on friday and i'll take a driving tour then and see what I can find.
Can you give me a general feel of the area is it pretty laidback?
Lots of married couples or singles?
Thanks for the input

Old 12-30-2009, 08:17 AM

4,845 posts, read 13,235,384 times
Quote:
I'll be back in town on friday and i'll take a driving tour then and see what I can find.
Can you give me a general feel of the area is it pretty laidback?
Lots of married couples or singles?
Thanks for the input
Fantastic!

The area is very laid back. I'd venture to say a mix of married, retired, singles. Wonderful historic homes mixed in with newer construction; just very distinguished, I guess you could say. If you want entertainment & don't feel like venturing to Main Street or out to St. Armand's, you've got clubs/restaurants on Hillview & Osprey. Libby's draws a nice singles crowd on Thursday (ladies night) through through Saturday evenings...the 5 o'clock brings in the live music & so on....I like the proximity to Siesta drive for getting out to the key, you're within minutes of either Main street downtown, or Southgate Mall...with the "gulf gate" area & it's bars/clubs restaurants & shops just 15 min. further south.

Just go up & down the streets between Ospry & Orange over by Sarasota Memorial south to Siesta and see what you find!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area