Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 PM

917 posts, read 2,604,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Always a good line whenever you lose the debate Mrs.Cool
Sorry, I kind of lost interest when I realized you didn't know that Nidal Hasan was an American citizen.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:34 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,664,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuild View Post
No, the pilgrims came here from England to hang out , freeze, die from starvation. I believe it was for freedom of religion, But if not right, I am sure you will tell me why I am wrong...
Well, I can start by saying the United States of America did not exist until 1776. Might want to go from there. Read a little more on our founding documents establishing our government please.

Since you want to base your theory on who was here on this patch of land first, well sorry, the pilgrims weren't. Might want to find out a little more on what the indians religious beliefs were then....

Old 01-08-2010, 06:20 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,664,551 times
Wanted to add...As far as when our country was founded, many also go by the Articles of Confederation, 1781. But it's pretty arbitrary for this discussion really....

Old 01-08-2010, 08:18 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,919,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
Sorry, I kind of lost interest when I realized you didn't know that Nidal Hasan was an American citizen.
First of all, if you were truly not interested you wouldn't have replied now would you.
Secondly once again you make a wrong assumption. I was making a list of terrorists to show you that none of them were grey haired grannies nor five years old. I never said anything about whether a person was a citizen or not. I would think the way you stalk me and look for my posts, you would know what I said, but apparently I have to tell you my point AGAIN! So here it is: We are frisking grannies and taking pillows away from sleeping five year olds while there has not been one case of terrorism performed by this "type" of person, and also that ALL cases of terrorism were performed by young, male, non-Americans. You can debate all you want about whether Hassan was "American", but that is completely irrelevant, and apparently you have nothing else to prove your "point", whatever that is.
So, as you continue to argue with me, what exactly is YOUR point? That frisking grannies and 5 year olds IS working? We SHOULDN'T take a second look at young, male, non-Americans?? That even though someone is a citizen their odd behavior and words should not draw attention? Or....????
mrs.cool

Last edited by mrcoolmrcool28; 01-08-2010 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: forgot to sign my name

Old 01-08-2010, 09:48 AM

49 posts, read 94,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
First of all, if you were truly not interested you wouldn't have replied now would you.
Secondly once again you make a wrong assumption. I was making a list of terrorists to show you that none of them were grey haired grannies nor five years old. I never said anything about whether a person was a citizen or not. I would think the way you stalk me and look for my posts, you would know what I said, but apparently I have to tell you my point AGAIN! So here it is: We are frisking grannies and taking pillows away from sleeping five year olds while there has not been one case of terrorism performed by this "type" of person, and also that ALL cases of terrorism were performed by young, male, non-Americans. You can debate all you want about whether Hassan was "American", but that is completely irrelevant, and apparently you have nothing else to prove your "point", whatever that is.
So, as you continue to argue with me, what exactly is YOUR point? That frisking grannies and 5 year olds IS working? We SHOULDN'T take a second look at young, male, non-Americans?? That even though someone is a citizen their odd behavior and words should not draw attention? Or....????
mrs.cool
I think you make a valid point, Mr Cool. But the US should also get our troops out of places like Iraq and Afghanistan and stop meddling in other countries' affairs. Can you imagine what lengths we Americans would go if some foreign country invaded and occupied any portion of the USA? We would be every bit as relentless and imaginative if not more so. No amount of profiling or screening would stop the terror we would inflict as long as they remained on American soil.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:59 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,919,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska to Florida View Post
I think you make a valid point, Mr Cool. But the US should also get our troops out of places like Iraq and Afghanistan and stop meddling in other countries' affairs. Can you imagine what lengths we Americans would go if some foreign country invaded and occupied any portion of the USA? We would be every bit as relentless and imaginative if not more so. No amount of profiling or screening would stop the terror we would inflict as long as they remained on American soil.
I agree. I didn't agree with Iraq at the time, and I still don't. I DO believe we should have gone into Afghanistan to hunt down bin Laden. And I believe if we wouldn't have been distracted by Iraq we may have gotten somewhere with that. On the other hand, Sadam Hussein DID need to be dealt with, but not then.
AND, btw, that was me, MRS. Cool

Old 01-09-2010, 12:59 AM

508 posts, read 1,103,497 times
It has been both interesting and dissapointing to see how some people characterize the identity of a christian populace in and around the Sarasota area. I normally post on the CD Christianity forum quite a bit and prefer to reserve my personal opinions of this topic for that place.

However as observation alone to the original point of the thread, I have noticed a christian presence in the area, I've visited the area three times over the span of 4 years and have lived in 7 other states, visited at least 35 of the 50 states (so I feel that I know from experience when an area seems to be more christian than others). Florida is a mixed location of cultures to begin with but I must admidt that I have found true christians living there on each visit. I do not identify them by their outward appearances, clothing, jewelry or bumper stickers... but I have found them.

Sarasota has a church presence undoubtedly and there's plenty of places to worship, (it's also the south, c'mon... There's a church on almost every half mile radius....) But I also see a large difference in the types of churches that are in the area compared to other parts of the country and I too noticed PixiStix's comment about New Age beliefs for myself, even influencing in Sarasota area church doctrines.

I will go so far as to say that I hope finding a christian populace is not considered by the Op to be a bad thing unless there's more of a widespread case of bad/misguided christians in the Sarasota area than I may be aware of, causing a bad reputation to develop.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:40 AM

455 posts, read 973,880 times
I think the OP's phrase "less tolerant" indicated his/her concerns. For an Agnostic, it can sometimes be uncomfortable in an area that has a lot of "in your face" type of religious fanatics. I think the pendulum swings much more toward the fundamentalist, "Moral Majority" type of crowd. In balance, there are also a lot of groups doing a lot of good: food pantries, homes for unwed mothers, homeless outreach, etc. As an "undecided", I am much more likely to respect the latter than I am some bigot who spouts that Tinky Winky is a homo or that 9/11 was the consequence of the Women's Rights movement.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:18 AM

181 posts, read 451,971 times
Default Do a few bad apples ruin the crop?

It is so sad that a few bad apples (Christians) seem to ruin the crop and capitalized on by others. There are millions of wonderful & caring Christians who do not judge or condemn or bible punch as well as many good people from all other faith groups. I watched Invictus last night. Very good movie.

Last edited by vegasboy; 01-09-2010 at 09:00 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 01:25 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,056,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
I think the OP's phrase "less tolerant" indicated his/her concerns. For an Agnostic, it can sometimes be uncomfortable in an area that has a lot of "in your face" type of religious fanatics. I think the pendulum swings much more toward the fundamentalist, "Moral Majority" type of crowd. In balance, there are also a lot of groups doing a lot of good: food pantries, homes for unwed mothers, homeless outreach, etc. As an "undecided", I am much more likely to respect the latter than I am some bigot who spouts that Tinky Winky is a homo or that 9/11 was the consequence of the Women's Rights movement.
Damn I cant believe this thread got so big.

At any rate, I never met exactly any bad christians here but at the same time, I havent talked to many good ones. I just see and feel a presence. I mean where I live a little north of Bradenton, I saw Jesus loves you christmas lights flooded on one guys lawn and I saw something else I believe in the neighborhood so this kinda made me write this post.
Im also the type who goes on the local craigslist to state my political opinions or state that Im agnostic only to get flagged all the time. I find it hard building a situation off the internet where I can meet those with similar beliefs yet it seems hard out this way for me to get with people in person. Its strange. This could include Sarasota Bradenton as the CL section is there too amongst a few other sites I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area