Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:55 AM

181 posts, read 453,383 times

Advertisements

It may be a good idea to embrace those Christians:
Evangelical and Charismatic Christians now fastest growing in the world at 4.7% per year, compared with Islam's growth at 2.2% per year. HOWEVER, Christianity in overall is growing by only 1.5% annually. Mail & Guardian 13 Jan 2010 South African Edition. Estimation: Christians: 2.1 Billion, Islam: 1.5 Billion.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:21 AM

508 posts, read 1,107,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasboy View Post
Evangelical and Charismatic Christians now fastest growing in the world at 4.7% per year, compared with Islam's growth at 2.2% per year. HOWEVER, Christianity in overall is growing by only 1.5% annually. Mail & Guardian 13 Jan 2010 South African Edition. Estimation: Christians: 2.1 Billion, Islam: 1.5 Billion.
Not trying to argue, but I think the statistic on Christianity is actually shrinking (at least at home), and in no way comes close to 2 billion worldwide. Most of these polls are too broad to label the truth about anyone. It's like saying that 80% of the US has faith in God. If they did, we'd be a different country altogether. Just because it's in a poll does not make it true.
I'd be surprised if there was even 5% of true Christians living in any given city in the US.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:23 AM

475 posts, read 900,184 times
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska to Florida View Post
The American Civil Liberties Union is a group, dedicated to enforcement of the US Constitution. Every patriotic American should join and be an active participant in this group. Anyone who speaks against the ACLU is, by definition, speaking against the Constitution.
Do you really believe the Anti Christ Liberals Union is defending the Constitution of the United States or were you just being sarcastic?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska to Florida View Post
The ACLU is our nation's guardian of liberty, working daily in courts, legislatures and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties that the Constitution and laws of the United States guarantee everyone in this country.These rights include:* Your First Amendment rights - freedom of speech, association and assembly; freedom of the press, and freedom of religion. * Your right to equal protection under the law - protection against unlawful discrimination. * Your right to due process - fair treatment by the government whenever the loss of your liberty or property is at stake. * Your right to privacy - freedom from unwarranted government intrusion into your personal and private affairs. The ACLU also works to extend rights to segments of our population that have traditionally been denied their rights, including people of color; women; lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and transgender people; prisoners; and people with disabilities.If the rights of society's most vulnerable members are denied, everybody's rights are imperiled. Support the ACLU today.
I paged ahead and saw you were serious so don't bother with a reply. My hope is that you are very young, as I once was.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
A little reading might go a long way to correct your misconceptions at: FAQs | American Civil Liberties Union Here is ACLU's statement regarding NAMBLA:

"Why did the ACLU represent NAMBLA?
The ACLU of Massachusetts' represented members of NAMBLA because, while the
ACLU does not advocate sexual relationships between adults and children, we do advocate robust freedom of speech. This lawsuit struck at the heart of the First Amendment. It is easy to defend freedom of speech when the message is something people find reasonable. The defense of freedom of speech is most critical when the message is one most people reject. For more information about the case, please contact the ACLU of Massachusetts."
Then where do you draw the line if not here? Society needs boundary's and lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
Your "fire" or "bomb" comment does not warrant a reply.

YES, the ACLU has defended some pretty repugnant organizations' right to free speech-just like they have defended Christians and American Military members. I would tell you to go to their site: ACLU.org and read about it but they don't have any pictures on the site.
Seems to me you chose to reply to his comments with an insult. I long for the day when a liberal can have an argument/discussion without the typical insults and talking points .

Old 01-13-2010, 12:03 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
Quote:
Do a google search on 'religion decline in US'.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:13 PM

181 posts, read 453,383 times
Default I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaraZoteBuccaneer View Post
Not trying to argue, but I think the statistic on Christianity is actually shrinking (at least at home), and in no way comes close to 2 billion worldwide. Most of these polls are too broad to label the truth about anyone. It's like saying that 80% of the US has faith in God. If they did, we'd be a different country altogether. Just because it's in a poll does not make it true.
I'd be surprised if there was even 5% of true Christians living in any given city in the US.
I totally agree with your statement. As I'm sure you picked up from my comment, and without having direspect for other faith groups, the way things are going we may have a tipping point some day. If you include all those saying they are Christians (the stats I quoted), it could take less than 49 years for Islam to overtake Christians in numbers...

Old 01-13-2010, 02:17 PM

508 posts, read 1,107,294 times
Quote:
I totally agree with your statement. As I'm sure you picked up from my comment, and without having direspect for other faith groups, the way things are going we may have a tipping point some day. If you include all those saying they are Christians (the stats I quoted), it could take less than 49 years for Islam to overtake Christians in numbers...
yeah - I picked up on it. And they (Islam) already have the majority. Let the leaders of the various denominations quivel before they figure it out... Christians are a shrinking minority and trying to speak from a secular point of view, I can't see that being a good thing on a community, to have a highly moral group downsizing.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:33 PM

455 posts, read 978,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
Seems to me you chose to reply to his comments with an insult. I long for the day when a liberal can have an argument/discussion without the typical insults and talking points .
If you did not come in to a thread in the middle, but read it FROM THE BEGINNING and knew the history between the two posters, you would realize the reason for my response.

This thread and these "talking points" are dead. You're looking for a fight and I'm not going to give it to you. Take it to the political forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area