U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 04:03 PM

55 posts, read 123,270 times

Advertisements

I know that in this day and age, very few people, if any, drink tap water that is not filtered, but perhaps a few do. My husband and I have been drinking filtered, spring, and distilled water for many years and we're very careful about the quality of the water we drink. We know that city water is chlorinated and fluoridated and we made a weird discovery. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it seems that around the same time that Sarasota appears to have gone green, it seemed like the water only smells of chlorine at certain times and it's not very strong. As an asthmatic, I can't stand the smell of chlorine, which is why we use a water filter in our shower. Also, I've read that city water is fluoridated, which I've heard is very toxic. Other than distillation, is there any other way to remove the toxins from the tap water in order to make it safe and drinkable or is filtration the only solution? I find it very frustrating that in this day and age, city water still uses the same archaic systems that they used many years ago. I appreciate all helpful replies. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 04:49 PM

66 posts, read 176,389 times
The tap water here is not very good.....

Old 01-04-2010, 08:31 PM

166 posts, read 563,361 times
I don't think they changed the chlorination levels, its been always pretty chlorinated (so stuff doesn't grow in the pipes). However, the water you may be getting might come from different sources. Sarasota County (as in, unincorporated Sarasota County) buys water from Manatee County, the peace river manasota water supply authority, plus their own reverse osmosis well fields. Depending where you live, you will get one source over another.

If you are really concerned, reverse osmosis would be your best bet, but distillation is probably the only way to get rid of everything.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 AM

6,864 posts, read 10,808,488 times
Water tests are performed daily, so when we smell a higher level of chlorine I think it's because there is a higher level of bacteria on the day of the test. Sometimes my water smells like swimming pool water.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM

4,848 posts, read 13,282,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Water tests are performed daily, so when we smell a higher level of chlorine I think it's because there is a higher level of bacteria on the day of the test. Sometimes my water smells like swimming pool water.
very true. I used to get sick some days getting in the shower on Anna Maria smelling the Chlorine. Strangely enough, I don't remember it like that 19 years ago; I found my water in downtown Sarasota to be worse than in Bradenton. We would always get funny stomachs from even the ice cubes.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM

16,301 posts, read 35,003,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
very true. I used to get sick some days getting in the shower on Anna Maria smelling the Chlorine. Strangely enough, I don't remember it like that 19 years ago; I found my water in downtown Sarasota to be worse than in Bradenton. We would always get funny stomachs from even the ice cubes.
Lady, I agree with you. Having lived in both downtown Sarasota and Manatee County, our water was FAR WORSE in Sarasota - ugh, some of the worst ever. Here in Whitfield, the chlorine smell is pretty minimal, I actually don't even filter the water anymore - once it's set out awhile the little bit of chlorine dissipates. The water seems ok at most of the restaurants here, too. Ice cubes from an ice maker are beyond terrible, that is often what will really make the water taste bad!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:41 PM

166 posts, read 563,361 times
The problem with water in Sarasota is that there is not a big natural source of water to draw from like a river. So, we have to use well water which doesn't taste as good. I'm not sure where the city of Sarasota get's its water from, but half the water in Sarasota County (unincorporated) comes from Manatee County

Old 01-05-2010, 05:09 PM

325 posts, read 949,389 times
The best bet is a water test a DIY or a professional test. These tests will tell you how much chlorine,bacteria and etc. is in your water. And maybe a new water system could be in place for the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area