U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 12:37 PM

37 posts, read 107,138 times

Advertisements

I am researching a relocation and was wondering if any of the locals could ellaborate on the difference of temperatures (summer) between the east and west coasts. is it more humid on the gulf side? does the breeze from the atlantic keep it cooler over their? are their more mosquitoes at one over the other? i am trying to narrow it down and these are important things to us Northern folks. i'm not sure i can deal with 90+ degrees and humidity close to 100% for 6 months of the year.

any replys would be appreciated. thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 04:28 PM

166 posts, read 560,973 times
If you are concerned about humidity and temperature there isn't really a difference between East and West. Now, there is a difference North vs South obviously, but pretty much anywhere in Florida is going to have high humidity and high temps during the summer.

I've heard people talk about the 'Atlantic Breeze", but if you are near the water here too, you are going to feel a breeze.

Last edited by atroxanautin; 01-05-2010 at 04:43 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 AM

Thanks for your response.

It looks like Jacksonville area then. I was hoping that maybe the Treasure coast was cooler on the atlantic side versus Sarasota being on the Gulf with the same latitude.

I have heard people say that Ft. Lauderdale and the Miami area are not as bad as some city's further north because they get a breeze from the gulf and atlantic. I do not want to raise my kids down their though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atroxanautin View Post
If you are concerned about humidity and temperature there isn't really a difference between East and West. Now, there is a difference North vs South obviously, but pretty much anywhere in Florida is going to have high humidity and high temps during the summer.

I've heard people talk about the 'Atlantic Breeze", but if you are near the water here too, you are going to feel a breeze.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:34 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,265,193 times
Jacksonville is no cooler than the rest of Florida. And much colder up there in winter months. Gulf coast is my preference, the gulf is better than the atlantic in all respects, swimming, fishing, calmer waters for boating, fewer shark attacks...... although we have our share. Only thing I really hate about the gulf is red tide... wish the scientists would figure that mess out. Jax beach is really cool though. And St Augustine is not a far drive. Heck I want to move to Jax now to be closer to St. Augustine....

Old 01-06-2010, 08:38 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,307,079 times
I think that one of the big differences is the beaches in both areas. Both areas are beautiful; as is the entire state of Florida, but both have VERY different natural settings.

Jacksonville is located on the East coast of Florida. It's going to be quite a bit colder in the winter since it’s much farther north. The frost line runs right under Tampa, so it rarely freezes in the Sarasota area. And if it does it’s only for a few days at a time. I would say the summers are pretty comparable. I was in Jacksonville last summer for a week and it was just as hot and humid as in Sarasota. The beaches on that side of the state are ocean beaches. That is important to note because ocean beaches have a coarse, darker sand and often rough waves. Ocean beaches, however, are PERFECT for surfing. The waves and characteristics of the tide make it a surfer's haven. The east coast has Cocoa Beach with Ron Jon Surf Shop, one of the largest and most well-known surf shops in the lower 48! People come from miles around to surf these crisp, clear ocean waters. The waters of the east coast are much cooler than the gulfs average temperature but I wouldn’t say the air temperature is much cooler. If I had to guess I would say the average summer temps in Sarasota are around 90 degrees and the average Jacksonville temps are somewhere around 85 degrees.

Sarasota is located on the West coast of Florida. It's close to major cities like St. Petersburg, Tampa and Ft. Myers. The beaches that are in and around Sarasota are gulf beaches, which have silky smooth white sand and much tamer, greenish blue waves. Not ideal for professional surfers, but perfect for relaxing and shell hunting! The calmer waters allow more boating, skiing, and scuba activities. What's important to note about Sarasota is its clean, friendly community and art-driven downtown center. Sarasota takes pride in its theater programs, art galleries and trendy boutiques.

Mosquitoes usually are more prevalent in the summer when its rained a lot and there is standing water. They lay their eggs in stagnate; standing water and summer time in Florida makes a perfect breeding ground for them. Florida gets quite a bit of rain in the summer so I would say both areas are prone to having mosquitoes, it really depends on if you are by standing water and if it’s rained a lot. It’s not so much dependant on location.

You didn’t mention schools so I’m assuming that’s not an issue. I’ve heard good things about Jacksonville’s school system and I know Sarasota has an excellent school system. I would highly recommend you visit both areas in the summer so you can judge for yourself. If you don’t like temps in the 90’s you might want to look in a state a little north of here-North Carolina, Virginia, etc.

Good luck with your search!

Old 01-08-2010, 06:10 PM

Thanks SoFLGal. So much to consider and yes schools are important. I have a 6 and 10 year old and have looked at both school districts and feel comfotable with either area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I think that one of the big differences is the beaches in both areas. Both areas are beautiful; as is the entire state of Florida, but both have VERY different natural settings.

Jacksonville is located on the East coast of Florida. It's going to be quite a bit colder in the winter since it’s much farther north. The frost line runs right under Tampa, so it rarely freezes in the Sarasota area. And if it does it’s only for a few days at a time. I would say the summers are pretty comparable. I was in Jacksonville last summer for a week and it was just as hot and humid as in Sarasota. The beaches on that side of the state are ocean beaches. That is important to note because ocean beaches have a coarse, darker sand and often rough waves. Ocean beaches, however, are PERFECT for surfing. The waves and characteristics of the tide make it a surfer's haven. The east coast has Cocoa Beach with Ron Jon Surf Shop, one of the largest and most well-known surf shops in the lower 48! People come from miles around to surf these crisp, clear ocean waters. The waters of the east coast are much cooler than the gulfs average temperature but I wouldn’t say the air temperature is much cooler. If I had to guess I would say the average summer temps in Sarasota are around 90 degrees and the average Jacksonville temps are somewhere around 85 degrees.

Sarasota is located on the West coast of Florida. It's close to major cities like St. Petersburg, Tampa and Ft. Myers. The beaches that are in and around Sarasota are gulf beaches, which have silky smooth white sand and much tamer, greenish blue waves. Not ideal for professional surfers, but perfect for relaxing and shell hunting! The calmer waters allow more boating, skiing, and scuba activities. What's important to note about Sarasota is its clean, friendly community and art-driven downtown center. Sarasota takes pride in its theater programs, art galleries and trendy boutiques.

Mosquitoes usually are more prevalent in the summer when its rained a lot and there is standing water. They lay their eggs in stagnate; standing water and summer time in Florida makes a perfect breeding ground for them. Florida gets quite a bit of rain in the summer so I would say both areas are prone to having mosquitoes, it really depends on if you are by standing water and if it’s rained a lot. It’s not so much dependant on location.

You didn’t mention schools so I’m assuming that’s not an issue. I’ve heard good things about Jacksonville’s school system and I know Sarasota has an excellent school system. I would highly recommend you visit both areas in the summer so you can judge for yourself. If you don’t like temps in the 90’s you might want to look in a state a little north of here-North Carolina, Virginia, etc.

Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area