Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Re: no young crowd...REALLY?! I wish I was thirty in this town!!! So wrong on this point; Being 50 is a weird age IMO. I find everyone either in the 20-40 age group or 60+. As a newbie 50 year old who doesn't look my age, I feel like I'm lost between the young & the ancient altacockers...
I so relate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 02:18 PM

182 posts, read 272,903 times
Some folks are so silly, and believe they can post unpleasant facts about Sarasota here and not be attacked! The purpose of city-data is supposed to be to give people a chance to get others' honest opinions about a city or town, before they visit or relocate there.---- But to some other people, city-data is a place to promote only "good" notions about a town, in hoping to profit from the business of outsiders who might be considering moving there. That is a shame, and leads to the frequent hilarious comments you see here, such as "there is nothing wrong with sarasota. seriously" and "this is paradise"....truth to tell, no place on God's Green Earth is paradise, and you do not "fix" what is wrong with your life by relocating to Florida!....but hucksters have been peddling that pablum since Clevelander Harry Flagler brought his railroad and real estate companies to FLA in the 1920s....

Old 04-19-2013, 07:08 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
After spending five years living in downtown Sarasota, here's an updated version of my take on the town:

I've was involved with the Sarasota Film Festival from 2006 through 2008. It was a good three year run; as the years passed, the film fest seemed to get too big for it's pants: aspiring to move up into the ranks but losing money & direction as the economy continued to decline. Movies prices skyrocketed and local film makers were ignored for the most part. Being someone who enjoys community involvement, I switched gears & spent the last two years giving my time to WSLR 96.5, the community radio station. A very diverse & grounded group of individuals who have worked hard in the past three years to move the station from a little Florida cracker house into a wonderful building with room for outside events on Kumquat.

I was laid of from one of the biggest property management firms on Longboat Key a year before it went bust (2010) and the owner took off with a big chunk of change from the Associations it managed and closed it's doors leaving over a 150 employees without their last paychecks and Associations in the lurch. I was fortunate to get in with another company in the same field, for less money of course but employment. Last week, myself and another co-worker were laid off on Wednesday at 2 p.m. in the afternoon. REALLY?! Couldn't even wait to do it on Friday at 5 p.m. when this type of action usually happens. I became a licensed CAM, never got a raise or a promotion in the two and a half years I spent as an employee. Living on less took a lot of finesse these past two years as prices continue to rise and incomes drop. Employee morale at my work has continued to decline as people are overworked and underpaid. Association owners have been increasingly brutal on the phones. The complaints far outweighed the compliments. Going to work became an eight hour struggle to maintain my composure and getting laid off has become a blessing in disguise.

I have a family member with health issues and all roads lead to departure from this town to moving where there is more job opportunity as well as the opportunity to be close to family and make a fresh start.

Sarasota is a beautiful beachside town but it's time for me to move on. For those of you moving here, again, secure employment before your move. Understand that it's more of a retirement community in general. Be prepared for low wages and many companies no longer offering healthcare benefits.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:09 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,507 times
Quote:
After spending five years living in downtown Sarasota, here's an updated version of my take on the town:

I've was involved with the Sarasota Film Festival from 2006 through 2008. It was a good three year run; as the years passed, the film fest seemed to get too big for it's pants: aspiring to move up into the ranks but losing money & direction as the economy continued to decline. Movies prices skyrocketed and local film makers were ignored for the most part. Being someone who enjoys community involvement, I switched gears & spent the last two years giving my time to WSLR 96.5, the community radio station. A very diverse & grounded group of individuals who have worked hard in the past three years to move the station from a little Florida cracker house into a wonderful building with room for outside events on Kumquat.

I was laid of from one of the biggest property management firms on Longboat Key a year before it went bust (2010) and the owner took off with a big chunk of change from the Associations it managed and closed it's doors leaving over a 150 employees without their last paychecks and Associations in the lurch. I was fortunate to get in with another company in the same field, for less money of course but employment. Last week, myself and another co-worker were laid off on Wednesday at 2 p.m. in the afternoon. REALLY?! Couldn't even wait to do it on Friday at 5 p.m. when this type of action usually happens. I became a licensed CAM, never got a raise or a promotion in the two and a half years I spent as an employee. Living on less took a lot of finesse these past two years as prices continue to rise and incomes drop. Employee morale at my work has continued to decline as people are overworked and underpaid. Association owners have been increasingly brutal on the phones. The complaints far outweighed the compliments. Going to work became an eight hour struggle to maintain my composure and getting laid off has become a blessing in disguise.

I have a family member with health issues and all roads lead to departure from this town to moving where there is more job opportunity as well as the opportunity to be close to family and make a fresh start.

Sarasota is a beautiful beachside town but it's time for me to move on. For those of you moving here, again, secure employment before your move. Understand that it's more of a retirement community in general. Be prepared for low wages and many companies no longer offering healthcare benefits.
I am sorry to hear about your difficulties, but if you honestly believe what you are reporting is Sarasota-specific, you're simply wrong.

Capitalism dictates this equation, not anything else. If a company has the option of offering less money and benefits or going out of business, they will almost invariably choose the former. Those who accept the job have likely considered these factors and will stand by their decision if they entered into their employment agreement with integrity.

It's not always the fault of "Sarasota" or "The Man." Sometimes, the world is just plain difficult.

Compounded by human nature, of course.

Best of luck wherever you land.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:45 AM

398 posts, read 822,316 times
The most important thing to take away from this , & for others to learn is to know the employment situation, well before you make your final decision to move. Some professions pay well and some don't. That being said sometimes things change and if things aren't working out you go where it may be better for you or you & your family.

Research your field ahead of time/ How much you will be paid and what benefits you receive are very important to know before you make a move not after. Know that you have a job before you move. All over the country somewhat based on supply & demand there are differences in what people are paid to do the same job.

A lot of this has been said over and over and over and over again. I am sorry the major downturn in the housing markets etc have drastically affected you & only wish you the best as you move on.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:30 PM

60 posts, read 296,982 times
Quote:
Understand that it's more of a retirement community in general. Be prepared for low wages and many companies no longer offering healthcare benefits.
THIS! Unless you have a VERY SPECIFIC, HIGH TECH or MEDICAL training, be prepared to work at Starbucks.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:01 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
As one who's moving from side of Florida to the other in the next week, I'm going on a shoestring, got my UE set up, have a place to stay & sending out resumes. I figured it's just as easy to be unemployed and be near family (mom's pushing 88 this year) than to sit here in SRQ and stew. I know the whole employment issue is not specific just to Sarasota; this town has just drained the life out of many of us. Many of us got here & got stuck. Tired of being stuck & going to do something with my window of opportunity!

I'll keep you all posted!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
As one who's moving from side of Florida to the other in the next week, I'm going on a shoestring, got my UE set up, have a place to stay & sending out resumes. I figured it's just as easy to be unemployed and be near family (mom's pushing 88 this year) than to sit here in SRQ and stew. I know the whole employment issue is not specific just to Sarasota; this town has just drained the life out of many of us. Many of us got here & got stuck. Tired of being stuck & going to do something with my window of opportunity!

I'll keep you all posted!
Good luck lady, and hope you enjoy your new adventure! Things always happen for a reason, and maybe you do need to be near your mom now.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 AM

490 posts, read 624,097 times
Best of luck with your move. Paradise to some, life sucking vortex to others. Family trumps all.

YouTube

Old 04-25-2013, 08:13 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:

I'm sorry to see you move from SRQ. I've enjoyed your posts and thank you for the info you provided both here and by PM. Wish you the best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area