Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 05:11 PM

461 posts, read 551,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Don't get me wrong, I adore certain aspects of Sarasota. The beach, the water, the animals, the birds, the sunny skies.

But for some of us, we used to be able to add to that list of positives a low crime rate, uncrowded, friendly, affordable houses, jobs that paid enough to live here....etc.

The U.S. has many beautiful areas, with beaches, clean water, a variety of wildlife, sunny skies.

What makes Sarasota unique now? Absolutely nothing. It has no industries, it has a very small insular "cultural" thing, visitors and natives with cold attitudes, and it doesn't have anything that can't be found elsewhere.

It's crowded, violent crime is skyrocketing, there are either low paying jobs, or no jobs at all, and most people can barely afford the cost of living here and can forget about affording a home of their own.

If I moved, I would only miss the natural beauty, which is slowly diminishing from this area too.
Amen. This is the very thing I complained about being in Sarasota. Its worse than around Tampa in some ways I think. People think they're moving to Sarasota for relaxation but find its just like the bigger cities with maybe even a more insular attitude. I say avoid it personally and dont listen heavily to the boosters on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
I have read all the replies,,, and my question is.....

No one has addessed the high crime rate... much much higher than the National Avg.... and I mean much higher... what gives ?

We live in NYC and want to relocate and start a family here... but we feel safer now in NYC,,, amazing to us...

Yet NYC has been a safer city for many many years past.

But what gives with the high crime rate listed each year for Sarasota Please ?
I am not surprised! In fact if the crime rate was lower in much of Chicago than Tampa Bay area outside obvious parts to not go into, I for sure wouldnt be. So you saying you feel safer in NY isnt surprising. My mom wants no part of Plattsburgh area even, but the tradeoff would be a lot more quietness even going there. High unemployment but guess what.. IT IS HERE TOO. I know someone who recently returned to frikken Cleveland because he was tired of the St Pete/Tampa area. He didnt live in Sarasota. I guess after 12 yrs or so, it got to him.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFL4Seasons View Post
I wouldn't worry about crime in Sarasota. We've never been mugged, had our house robbed...never had a car-jacked. Most of the crime is situated north of downtown. I've always found Sarasota very safe.

Sarasota does indeed lack a sense of community. The beaches are beautiful, yes...and the Ringling Museum, etc. However, this isn't enough to entertain someone young for long. Most of the city is brand new and generic. The neigborhood I live in is all cynder block houses made in the 50s/60s. A very small house in good condition is 250+ It's very expensive here.

There is nothing to do for people between the ages of 16-40. The artistic stuff we have to offer is much more geared to the older population, as is everything else. If someone is middle aged or older and likes to just eat out at nice restaurants, hang out in their boat on the bay...sit in their gigantic house on the beach and watch the sunset...then Sarasota is perfect.

For people who want somewhere progressive, dynamic and youth oriented, Sarasota is a horrible choice. Most of my friends left town as soon as they graduated HS, and never looked back. Everyone young here drives to Tampa and St. Pete to go out on the weekends.
If I were to stay in Sarasota longer truthfully, I'd be doing this very thing more often. Not that its a total picnic in the Tampa/St Pete area but it does have the edge over Sarasota for sure as far as living goes. If you live toward the city area, theres little to no reason to come to Sarasota. You'd probably go once a year anyhow if you just want to see a change of scenery for a day. Sarasota = not a place for the young, single and less wealthy. More like married, going steady with someone with higher income and you may have few complaints but I always had trouble fitting into that demographic. I am rogue society.. lower middle class. My mom and stepdad make good money but the general attitude in my home I wouldnt at all call bourgeois.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:01 PM

128 posts, read 166,148 times
It's just a place for retirees, married people, with kids, and with money. Those types get along wonderfully in Sota. Good for them. But not everybody is as lucky as them.

Then there is also a large segment of that traditional brand of Florida's low class types who are on drugs, drunks, and addicts, and lots of criminals and felons who manage to get by. I was always surprised how those types who spend all their earnings on bad habits somehow get by financially and always have work and a place to stay even when many of them are tied up in the legal system for their crimes which is seriously expensive. Plus they will have multiple kids. Whenever I think about those types of people in Sarasota, the financial numbers never quite added up. But good for them if they can afford living in a town who's populous hates them and everybody who is rich is obsessed with status and being greedy and mean.

Then there is a hatred against people who are single, middle aged, and wanting to pursue a professional life in Sarasota. For some reason there is no room for those types unless they are connected to high society. And even if they are connected to family and social groups with money, they sort of put on an act and dress the part, but is there really tons of money for these people to be made in Sota? ...It can be a very unbalanced playing field in that regard.

Then there are a lot of people in Sota who feverishly deny the truth. Like what I posted here. I never understood what they are defending. Hearing someone elses opinion and hearing somebody who does not fit in with Sarasota is just too much for them to handle. So weird. But Sarasota is a beautiful place. Unfortunately the quality of its natural beauty has been noticeably downgraded because of the population boom and construction. Lots of people who have no understanding about the nature of Florida. They just want to BBQ on the beach with their giant families and make a mess of it and cluelessly mistreat the environment.

Oh and Bradenton Beach is a total disgrace. It's the most littered and polluted beach I've seen in the area. Totally gross. People trashed the place. So, so, sad.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:40 PM

94 posts, read 199,778 times
After nearly two years here, I've yet to determine any really redeeming qualities. No, it's not entirely awful or dreadful. I put it in the just okay category, it has some warts though (as does every place). I have lived all over the state and this is definitely one of my least favorite stops.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:32 PM

25,374 posts, read 12,504,809 times
Default Sarasota ranked #1

Florida was ranked #1 of all the States to retire by Walletthub, and Sarasota ranks #1 of all the cities in Florida, so I'm thinking Sarasota is the #1 place to retire in the U.S..

Now, if you are younger, I can agree with a lot of what folks are saying on this thread about what is wrong with Sarasota, but if you are retirement age, there's not much wrong with it as compared to anywhere else.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:02 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,603,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Hi all. We are looking to relocate from NJ and are currently visiting Sarasota. I've been here many times before but always just as a tourist, never with an eye to living here. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do since I had heard so much negative stuff about Fl and Sarasota. We have been downtown to eat a few times, out to the beach, around St Armands and haven't seen any problems. People have been friendly although not overly so (which is fine with me). We would look in the West of the Trail area for a house and have wandered around there a few times. Houses are well kept, plenty of people out walking dogs and kids playing in the street. It seems like a fine area. Aside from general Florida issues - weather, home insurance, property tax, what am I missing? Even the public schools that West of the Trail goes to get great reviews. Why is there so much negativity around living in Sarasota - I don't get it.
I am from Philly and lived in S. NJ for 26 years also.

I have spent a couple winters in SRQ. It's not a bad place - probably one of the better places if we are limiting our scope to Florida. You probably know most of the good things, so I will only mention those things which may be viewed as negatives.

1. The Climate - no matter what anyone says...the statistics and science say it all. Basically, it is uninhabitable (without full time A/C) for at least 1/2 the year and sometimes more. I've been there in December where you could not venture outside for most of the day.
Note - sure, if you go to the beach or shade on a windy day right before sunset you can get an hour of reasonable weather.

Some people claim "but I like hot weather". Yeah, I've heard that before...from friends who were usually new to the area. After a couple years they also try to escape as much as possible from the middle of May onwards.

2. Noise, Roads, Traffic - if you are going to be west of trail you are limited to a small area. If you are within 4 blocks or so of the Trail, you are going to hear a nice traffic "din" almost 24/7. So the geo area you have to work with is small - also, some roads are busy. We found one of the few "no cut through" roads in town (we live a mile east of DT)...and also 4-5 blocks from a busy road (Tuttle or Fruitville). You can still hear them but not as bad.

3. Crime - tends to be higher. Most of this will not affect your daily life, but some of it can. Be advised that there are vast quantities of low-lives living in Florida (this is well known to all - just google Florida Man)....and, as in the Movie "Crash", you may end up in contact with them from a drunk driving accident or other situation. Some of the natives are civilized - some less so. If you like guns and shooting, you will be in shooting range heaven. There are some "coal rollers"....you know, the types who modify their pickup trucks to spew black smoke so they can give the middle finger to the EPA (and to you and me).

4. Bugs, Humidity, Rain, etc - it takes a LOT of behind the scenes work to create those nice areas you speak of. Without a constant flow of contractors, the entire area would revert to swamp within a few years. Expect to meet your new friends - like drywood termites - quite often.

Hey, nowhere is perfect. From about mid-December to April 15th, the weather is quite decent and it rarely rains.

Many jokes are made about Florida and they do contain a lot of truth - "the sunny place for shady people" and stuff like that. Or "I have some swampland to sell you".

In the end, it's probably the lack of a common culture or history...and the idea that any and every piece of swamp and land should - by law - be able to be over-developed....which are issues that Florida newbies have to decide they want to live with (or not). You certain miss the "roots" if you family and friends have grown up in places where "George Washington Slept Here". In Florida it's more like "Meyer Landsky and/or drug kingpins ran and financed this".

Old 08-01-2017, 07:20 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,799,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIt View Post
After nearly two years here, I've yet to determine any really redeeming qualities. No, it's not entirely awful or dreadful. I put it in the just okay category, it has some warts though (as does every place). I have lived all over the state and this is definitely one of my least favorite stops.
Where would you suggest are better places to live in Florida, since you've lived all over the state?

Old 08-01-2017, 08:33 PM

94 posts, read 199,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Where would you suggest are better places to live in Florida, since you've lived all over the state?
Add I'm not a real big fan on recommending a certain place to live. Doing that normally ends with plenty of blowback...on me. I will say specific pluses & minuses about a certain place. No way that should be construed as a endorsement for any particular area. To each his/her own. Some like a place, some don't. Everyone is different and only you know what you like and don't like . fwiw, my next landing spot will probably by Jupiter. Many things I like there including the overall boating scene. Straight shot to the west end of the Bahamas and then continue on to the several really nice out Island.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:04 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,603,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIt View Post
Add I'm not a real big fan on recommending a certain place to live. Doing that normally ends with plenty of blowback...on me. I will say specific pluses & minuses about a certain place. No way that should be construed as a endorsement for any particular area. To each his/her own. Some like a place, some don't. Everyone is different and only you know what you like and don't like . fwiw, my next landing spot will probably by Jupiter. Many things I like there including the overall boating scene. Straight shot to the west end of the Bahamas and then continue on to the several really nice out Island.
For small boating and sailing I'd say it's hard to beat Sarasota Bay and even Tampa bay. Ocean is much rougher on the east side and most bays much smaller or shallower.

Also, there is the curse of I-95, but that lets up a bit by Jupiter.

I think "people matter" and as much as we all like to diss SRQ, there are a lot of people there from the midwest, Europe and other places where folks tend to be hard working and decent. This isn't always the case on the east coast - but, again, it depends where.

The rudeness in the Miami area is one of the first things to hit me when I visit there. Of course, each person is different, so I also hate to generalize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area