Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 04:43 AM

499 posts, read 578,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccright View Post
IMHO I have found that in general it is the vacationers/snowbirds that are more delightful to be around. I figure it to be that they are more carefree and less weighted down by the everyday grind of job, bills, and responsibilites. West of 41 seems to be a nicer place to be than east.
Thank you for that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 PM

488 posts, read 618,806 times
I've found the visitors more friendly than the actual residents as well. I've also found it to be less crowded in peak season than most larger cities at any time of year. It's more crowded than Dayton, Ohio or Athens, Georgia but I don't find it bad at all. I think it's the contrast between the slow and busy seasons that make it seem so overcrowded to long time residents. I don't mind waiting a little longer in line or parking 50 feet further from a store entrance. I'm a patient person. Snowbirds are here to enjoy themselves and spend money so I don't pay state taxes.

Also it's a cop out to compare Sarasota today to how it was in the 1970's. Show me anyplace that hasn't grown or changed since then. I'm sure there are people in Dayton talking about the good old days before GE left town or whatever. In the seventies you can bet there were a bunch of people wishing it was 1930 again. One day people will be reminiscing about how cool Sarasota was in 2012. I sometimes pine away for the good old days too but my boyhood home is pretty much unrecognizable and pizza will never be a quarter again. So I live here now and if it one day becomes something I don't love I'll move before I turn bitter

Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,837,558 times
This thread was started in 2010, but since it is still active, I decided to write a comment.

The topic is

Sarasota in a nutshell: Unbiased views from a former resident

If the OP is a human being, then it is impossible to have unbiased views. Still, I just gave the OP a rep because it's a good post.

However, each of us has his or her own reasons for living in any area. The statement I agree with the most is the continuous heat & humidity. I really cherish the few days & nights of cool weather we get this time of year. OTOH, I wouldn't want to be living in one of the states hit hard by tornadoes this past week or endless wildfires last summer. Then there was Hurricane Irene that didn't affect us at all, but caused major flooding in areas of New York and Vermont. Yes, the heat, humidity, high dew points and year-round bugs can be very oppressive. I've complained about the Florida weather many times, and I really miss autumn leaves and the change of seasons. However, 5 months of winter snow and ice, gloomy skies for weeks without sunshine, can be just as challenging.

I don't think there is any perfect place to live, at least not on this Earth!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,024,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
This thread was started in 2010, but since it is still active, I decided to write a comment.

The topic is

If the OP is a human being, then it is impossible to have unbiased views. Still, I just gave the OP a rep because it's a good post.

However, each of us has his or her own reasons for living in any area. The statement I agree with the most is the continuous heat & humidity. I really cherish the few days & nights of cool weather we get this time of year. OTOH, I wouldn't want to be living in one of the states hit hard by tornadoes this past week or endless wildfires last summer. Then there was Hurricane Irene that didn't affect us at all, but caused major flooding in areas of New York and Vermont. Yes, the heat, humidity, high dew points and year-round bugs can be very oppressive. I've complained about the Florida weather many times, and I really miss autumn leaves and the change of seasons. However, 5 months of winter snow and ice, gloomy skies for weeks without sunshine, can be just as challenging.

Oh, Nancy! You're making me blush! You've been reading my posts after all!! Great one!!

Where have you been? Haven't seen you in a while. . . "Absence makes the heart grow fonder. . . " I'm missing you babe!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 AM

17,466 posts, read 38,864,396 times
Quote:

The topic is

You're so right, Nancy and I totally agree. There is no "perfect" place because "perfect" doesn't really exist - we can only choose the place that is OVERALL the closest to perfect for each of us according to our preferences.

Everywhere in the world is subject to the forces of mother nature, there is no escaping that. For me (and hubby) we will put up with the four months of high heat and humidity in order to have weather we love the other 8 months of the year. If you get above Tampa in the winter you can even see fall leaf colors most years! Yes, I am content with what I have here.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:33 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,780,654 times
Quote:

The topic is

And you just got yourself some rep points in the bargain also.

I pointed out in a couple of other threads that the actual weather data says you don't have it worse there than most of the South except for duration and lack of variation. Summer temps and humidity are about the same on average, but most places have more variance from average in the mix and only have it 3 months. So you are spot on, IMO, to say "continuous ".

Irene mostly missed us also, but next month I will visit our (NC) coast and fish off an improved pier at one of my favorite spots because the storm took out a bite out of it last year. Gotta look hard for those silver linings sometimes. And yes, I would have much rather been down there than up here last April. One of the tornadoes was two miles from my house on a track toward my house when I lost power. Fortunately it veered slightly east. I hope this spring is a bit calmer.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:22 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,837,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Oh, Nancy! You're making me blush! You've been reading my posts after all!! Great one!!

Where have you been? Haven't seen you in a while. . . "Absence makes the heart grow fonder. . . " I'm missing you babe!

Did I steal your words? If so, it was totally coincidental, although once someone told me "there are no original thoughts." I think what she was trying to say is that, after thousands of years and billions of people, if I think something's original, it probably isn't. I really haven't gone anywhere, except in my mind. Sometimes it wanders to places very far from here. LOL

Old 03-10-2012, 08:49 AM

29 posts, read 141,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 419gottaminute View Post
Well said...
You were dead on balls accurate...
Most people just don't understand what it's like to be fn hot,
all the fn time, it sucks...

If you all are COLD then put on some clothing, cover up damit...

If we could live on Siesta or AMI for 4-5 months and the rest of the time in the Appalachian Mountains, WE WOULD...

And who knows, maybe mountain life sucks also, but we're willing to give it a try...
So your advise(if one is living in the north) do not move to Sarasota?

Old 03-10-2012, 07:31 PM

279 posts, read 575,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnurse1 View Post
So your advise(if one is living in the north) do not move to Sarasota?
everyone has to decide for themselves. it seems many of the people in SArasota are from the North so ...it must appeal to some of them! or should i say...some of US! lol

Old 03-11-2012, 06:53 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,780,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoOsprey View Post
everyone has to decide for themselves. it seems many of the people in SArasota are from the North so ...it must appeal to some of them! or should i say...some of US! lol
Last night I was talking to a friend of mine who lives here (in NC) and loves having seasons. I told him I am researching a future move to SW FL as I am getting tired of the cold (and though it has been a mild winter it did freeze last night). I also mentioned that I had echatted with someone on this forum (different thread) whose cousins want to move away from NC because of the heat. My friend thinks I'm nuts and the other poster's cousins are nuts. I kiddingly pointed out that if he is one out of three that wants to stay, maybe he is nuts also. We got a chuckle out of it, but there is a lot of truth to it. Everywhere in the US has weather you can survive (generally requires a home and clothes that sometimes counteract nature). Deciding likes and dislikes is personal preference and some will think your choices are crazy because they arrive at different ones.

Another point from my discussion last night...
I took my kids skiing not long ago and had a great time. Perfectly timed to get some fresh snow without brutal temps. My friend pointed out that as evidence that I may miss Winter. But I want to visit old man Winter at a place, time and duration of my choosing instead of having Winter visit me without asking if it is convenient first and sometimes overstaying his welcome.

And another thing - how come Spring gets portrayed as this beautiful young maiden and Winter is always a cranky old man? I take that sort of personally. But I am a little nuts.

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 03-11-2012 at 07:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area