Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:18 AM

917 posts, read 2,604,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I just try to stay out of all the pettiness and bickering on the boards-not my style and I don't like to be involved in it. And I'm not directing this to any one person. I wouldn't have even commented on this post if I didn't feel like something was directed at me.
Pettiness and bickering? When the real motives of people that use their position on the forum to promote the area to fellow members are exposed, I'm disappointed that you would consider it to be petty bickering.

Last edited by tommy-105; 01-12-2010 at 04:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
looking briefly that seems to concentrate on fraudelent and illegal behaviour.

i ahve always conducted my business stricktly above board legally and honestly.

i would trust you are not suggesting otherwise ?
The only thing I see going on here that's "above board" is the fact that the growth of the business relationships that you developed with other members can be followed by anyone willing to go back into old threads to do some reading. (You like to call research like that "stalking")
A newcomer to the forum doesn't stand a chance of getting un-biased opinions when a closely knit group has taken it over in an attempt to attract more people to the area. It's very deceiving and there is nothing "honest" about it.

Last edited by tommy-105; 01-12-2010 at 05:03 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 05:34 AM

4,892 posts, read 14,087,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canotwaittilportcharlotte View Post
Hello all! I am posting to find out some info on people in the area. I will be moving to Port Charlotte, FL in June 2010 and will most likely be frequently visiting Venice, Sarasota, and Bradenton. I am very curious though about what to expect from people. I am very much a people person, being a waitress and being a southern girl has pretty much made me a very enthusiastic and outgoing person. One of the main reasons for my leaving Memphis is because of the people... Most people here speak with a thick accent or thick ebonics that I can not even understand them even though I am from here. Also people here are rather stupid, horrible drivers, greedy, selfish, ignorant, and this city is filled with addiction driven criminals. I am looking forward to moving to a smaller city with a better school system and I am optimistic that the overall quality of life will be better for my family and myself. Any comments or advice any one could give would be great!
Add a florida zip code and you're back where you started....just kidding.

What you've described in the posts following this about ghetto fabulous and so on is pretty tacky. This area is no different than any other part of the country in respect to it's melting pot of problems but I think you need to visit first & check it out for yourself.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:58 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,909,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
The only thing I see going on here that's "above board" is the fact that the growth of the business relationships that you developed with other members can be followed by anyone willing to go back into old threads to do some reading. (You like to call research like that "stalking")
A newcomer to the forum doesn't stand a chance of getting un-biased opinions when a closely knit group has taken it over in an attempt to attract more people to the area. It's very deceiving and there is nothing "honest" about it.
I tried to rep you but I couldn't. Thanks for putting it out there in plain English.
In response to Hiknapster...Im calling the INS today to see if this trading for business for a green card is legal. It may be legal, but I certainly wouldn't exactly call it ethical. Seems the ethics are skewed on this forum lol.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:08 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,829,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
Pettiness and bickering? When the real motives of people that use their position on the forum to promote the area to fellow members are exposed, I'm disappointed that you would consider it to be petty bickering.
I really don't see what all the talk is about. You have someone from another country that comes to the US and purchases a personal home (happens all the time). You have someone that happens to like the area and talks favorably about it on City-Data (happens all the time). You have someone that plans on starting a business in the US that is from another company (happens all the time).

Whether the business is a flower shop, house building, shoe store, etc Why does it matter what some other person might be doing with their life? If it doesn't involve me and it's not illegal then I don't care. If starting a business is a requirement of getting a Green Card in this country and that person chooses to want to do that. Why does anyone care? If the US makes this one of their many requirements for entering the country and someone is following the rules I really don't see what the issue is.

Sometimes I feel like one person gets singled out and then it's a pack mentality and everyone jumps in. Maybe I'm totally missing the point but that's how I see it.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,111,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
I tried to rep you but I couldn't. Thanks for putting it out there in plain English.
In response to Hiknapster...Im calling the INS today to see if this trading for business for a green card is legal. It may be legal, but I certainly wouldn't exactly call it ethical. Seems the ethics are skewed on this forum lol.

I can assure you everything we are doing is quite legal, having researched for a number of years, retained the services of an AMERICAN attorney (at considerable cost ) and consulted with sufficient qualified people - as and when we move it will have been done to the letter of US law.

i could have course just jumped across the Rio grande however I prefer to do things the right way.

as for ethics -make your own call thats fine. I suspect most US business make profits -probably out of the pockets of US citizens. I guess that makes them unethical too ?
Out of interest Col -do you work ? If so do you get paid ? If so do you earn more than you spend ? Is making that profit unethical ?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:42 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,909,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
Out of interest Col -do you work ? If so do you get paid ? If so do you earn more than you spend ? Is making that profit unethical ?
Honestly, its not any of your business how I have money or how much I have...since unlike you, I don't use a public forum in order to promote making money or drumming up a green card.
Let's just say, I have enough to spend any time I have in the support of my fellow Americans in their hours of need. If you had done your homework and read my previous posts..you would have caught on to that...
Is that unethical to you?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 AM

17,464 posts, read 38,864,396 times
This thread has taken a very sad turn.......

Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,111,660 times
no its not and thats my point and i applaud your efforts. listen i have no axe to grind with you so rather than prolong this pointless excercise lets agree to differ and move on. There are sadly far more important things in life

Old 01-12-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I really don't see what all the talk is about. You have someone from another country that comes to the US and purchases a personal home (happens all the time). You have someone that happens to like the area and talks favorably about it on City-Data (happens all the time). You have someone that plans on starting a business in the US that is from another company (happens all the time).

Whether the business is a flower shop, house building, shoe store, etc Why does it matter what some other person might be doing with their life? If it doesn't involve me and it's not illegal then I don't care. If starting a business is a requirement of getting a Green Card in this country and that person chooses to want to do that. Why does anyone care? If the US makes this one of their many requirements for entering the country and someone is following the rules I really don't see what the issue is.

Sometimes I feel like one person gets singled out and then it's a pack mentality and everyone jumps in. Maybe I'm totally missing the point but that's how I see it.
My Canadian grandfather had a green card and ran a business in the states. I'm certainly not complaining about obtaining green cards. There is a question of morals here. You have that little house next to your user name. Everybody knows that they are talking to a real-estate professional when they deal with you. Apparently others have not been so forthcoming.

One thing that most of us here agree on (and frequently recommend) is the advice to rent for a while before making a purchase. Well, now we know that some members are planning on having rental properties conveniently available. How nice of them.

One member has made a habit of recommending your services every chance he got. (to the point of being silly) Now people have to wonder if something was expected in return. You've got the (well deserved, I think?) golden reputation, they expect to have houses to rent and sell. Nothing is how it looks on the surface to a newcomer to the forum.

Quote:
Sometimes I feel like one person gets singled out and then it's a pack mentality and everyone jumps in.
Yes, this is what happened last time my wife and I questioned some of the motives of certain people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area