U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:27 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,581,993 times

Advertisements

and this is not a rude question just a genuine inquisition-

why dont those who hate it so much just ship out elsewhere ?
you live in a huge country with such diversity that you have a myriad of choices , yet still seem to stay in the same place ?

perhaps its being upside down in a home but at leats one person here has admitted to not being in that situation- so my question is - why no just move somewhere you would be happier, it cant be more than a few days drive ?????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 03:26 PM

1,938 posts, read 5,949,133 times
Hahah, I know you're point. When we lived in Chicago everyone did nothing but complain about the crime, the horrible cold, not to mention the crappy politics. Yet, they all just sat there and whined about it. My hubby and I moved to florida 3 years ago.. my sibling and parents followed.

My thoughts are this: People are afraid. They have security there, jobs, homes, friends and family. The thought of picking up and moving away is too much for them to even consider. IMO, they just don't want it bad enough, they really aren't THAT unhappy, they are just "satisfied". Any negatives that come along is simply their excuse to ***** and complain. I also think that the job market has alot to do with it. Some people aren't strong enough to even THINK about starting a new life somewhere else, for others it's just laziness. They wouldn't know where to begin..
It's not easy to make a move like that, it was by far, the hardest thing I have ever done. We both had jobs in Florida before we moved, not only was the job search difficult from 1600 miles away but the interviewing process was costly and nerveracking. However, it was our dream, and we struggled to get here..and we love it!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 PM

8,189 posts, read 29,931,891 times
I have left. Twice. My husband keeps dragging me back here, kicking & screaming the whole way. If the choice is my husband or another location the husband wins. At least he has so far, not sure about the next time. I seem to be able to stand it here for about 2 years, then I need to leave.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:15 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,992,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
it was our dream, and we struggled to get here..and we love it!
and for some, it is their dream to leave, and they struggle to get to the point where they have all ducks in a row to leave..and they love it when they leave! Wow, just like you!

To the OP, for most, it's not as easy as packing up the bags on a Monday, being out the door on Tues and in new state by Wednesday. Some have done it and succeeded wonderfully, but its far from normal nor practical.

I've seen just as many whine on here about being in the cold but they can't sell their house or find a job or get their spouse to agree but they sure do complain about the cold & how miserable the taxes are & how awful the cost of living is & how expensive heating oil is and that they slide on black ice and there is a wind chill and they can't wait until they are in FL....why isn't the same question being asked to them? Why does it take those people a few months, years, and so on, regardlesss of reason? A year or two from retirement? If so miserable, why not pack up and move to FL? Give up the pension and 401k and health care, at least you won't be so miserable shoveling snow!!!!

So, it goes both ways. OP- don't you have a thread about how awful cold it is where you are & how lucky everyone in FL is? Why even go back to your country then, stay in SWFL! It's not so easy, right?? Just can't drop every obligation at the drop of a hat. Takes a few months, maybe even a few years, yet, in the meantime, still complaints from those waiting to get to FL....

When we moved to SWFL, our choice was very cut and dry. Take the opportunity in SWFL or face another Iraq/afghanistan deployment. The last place I wanted to move, but really, wasn't about to give my dh a hard time about it seeing all the factors that went into it, primarily a very tight timeline of taking another 3yr contract in the Army or the job in SWFL (which he wanted). It was the best job at the time (less than 30 days of returning from Iraq my husband (who was injured in Baghdad) was interviewing and taking vacation time to find a job...if anyone understands the military lifestyle and what it is like to readjust from deployment...this is beyond commendable and many do this for the sake of their family) w/ the money that could provide shelter, food, and basic living. Ironically, he came to find w/in 2 weeks of starting that his job was to clean house in all the east coast offices in FL as they were planning on leaving FL w/in the year.... His boss and another boss where actually fired the first month he started due to interviewing practices and withholding company information. In the meantime, did the best I did to adjust, my husband worked his butt off as he always does, and after time realized where our hearts were, so we worked very,very hard to get there. It just didn't happen to be SWFL & that is ok....lots of awesome places in this country.

And for some, children are involved. That involves them leaving friends, routine, schools, familiarity, especially if they are in elementary school and beyond. It's a breeze to move with a baby (been there, done that). Not so easy w/ older children (been there, done that). To the OP, there are many parts of this country that have horrible school systems but affordable living...that makes it a challenge for those who care about their child's education. Yes, Rhodes Scholars come from the ghetto, doesn't mean we all want to live there nor should do that to our children for the sake of our own "wants". Sometimes, it's not about "you", it's about the child. And that may mean the sacrifice of shovelling snow and wearing a winter coat so your child can finish out their education or complete a sport or stay with friends/family....

Or one may have to find daycare. That can take weeks and even then, it may not be affordable. I'm talking the talk b/c I've done it. Again, not impossible but not something that happens overnight. It doesn't take 5 years but it may be a reason a family cannot move.

What if it will be a dual working family and there are no friends/family nearby to care for children afterschool?

The list goes on. It's a list nonetheless. But it also explains why people who don't like ANY AREA just don't "pack up and leave".

There is a phrase I've been thinking of so much lately...only by the grace of God...

So, before the lashings and judgements of how people are too lazy to do anything or just want to complain, etc., before the rocks get thrown at the glass houses....only by the grace of God have "you" been able to realize YOUR dreams and happiness. Others are still working at finding theirs.... "your" reasons/stories/excuses are of no more or less importance than someone elses.

(ps...this is an random, public internet forum. some just come on to vent. it's not more than that. so to take it personally that someone may not like a place YOU do....really a waste of time)

If the worst thing we face in this lifetime is shoveling snow in April or enduring constant heat/humidity in December, what an amazingly blessed life that would be.

and the only reason I am on right now (for those who will say if you hate fl so much why on the site) is my best friend is planning a wedding in Siesta Key and I am the maid of honor, so doing research!

Last edited by 121804; 01-11-2010 at 05:03 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,784,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post

you live in a huge country with such diversity that you have a myriad of choices , yet still seem to stay in the same place ?

perhaps its being upside down in a home but at leats one person here has admitted to not being in that situation- so my question is - why no just move somewhere you would be happier, it cant be more than a few days drive ?????

That's the whole reason that my wife and I are heading up to Georgia this weekend to look around...........

As for just packing up and moving to a new location, easier said than done, right...?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:48 PM

204 posts, read 558,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 419gottaminute View Post
That's the whole reason that my wife and I are heading up to Georgia this weekend to look around...........

As for just packing up and moving to a new location, easier said than done, right...?
Interesting. My wife and I left SWFL for Georgia in 2004, then came high-tailing it back here in 2007. Georgia was beautiful, but a bad fit for us on several levels, first and foremost health, both ours and that of our children. Cold temperatures + Allergies + Severely Low Humidity = Total Misery. I guess we didn't appreciate what we had until we left it.

Unfortunately, we weren't smart about our move and didn't rent... we purchased a home up there right away which is now an underwater rental property... after vastly over-improving it, compounding fiscal injury. (P.S. Interested in buying a really lovely home near Lake Lanier? )

Just my 2 cents: The one thing I will hammer home with anyone who will listen regarding moving to a new area is this: rent for at least a year, preferably two. It really seems like take that long to be 'sure.'

For us, much of year one was a novelty (ooh, look at the leaves turning in the fall, ooh look at the snow, aahh isn't it nice to have a basement which we can fill with more useless consumerism.... and all that). It was somewhere during year 2 that we realized something wasn't working for ourselves, and we realized that our never ending sinus issues, colds, flu, etc seemed to be way more frequent than our historical norms, and weren't letting up outside of cold/flu season. As we began year three, we started making plans to return... thank goodness we made it back.

Good luck on your journey,

HHH

Old 01-11-2010, 11:44 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,192,570 times
We're actually planning our first trip to SC in the next few months.

For us it's mostly the house. We purchased before the market went all wonky, but we took an equity loan to make some major improvements (rewired the entire house, replaced all the windows, add insulation, completely remodel 3 rooms, etc.). Some of these projects are still in progress, and will take time to complete. I don't think that I can get out and cover my mortgage as it is, or we probably would shorten our schedule. Of course had I thought 6 years ago that we would ever consider leaving FL, I probably wouldn't have started any of these projects, but we were thinking about being in the house for the long haul.

We have a 24 month plan to get the rest of the remodeling done and get the house ready to go on the market.

Our oldest will graduate in 2012 and our youngest will start HS then, so that's our target for moving.

On the other hand, when we came to FL it was a split second decision. We were kids, just married and just out of school. It snowed on Christmas eve, and I realized we didn't have to stay in the cold any more. 5 days later I was in St Pete!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:38 AM

259 posts, read 788,497 times
Don't worry, we're working on it. Everyone has different things going on in their lives that don't allow them to leave as quickly as they would like. I've lived here for almost 3 years and hated every minute of it. (I don't blame anyone but myself for making the wrong choice based on fun vacations and inflated financial expectations). As for me, finishing up Grad school is really the only thing that is holding me back. I also want to make sure that I have more than enough money saved to move to the new state. Regardless, I'm getting out of here within the next few months on the 1st train smokin'.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 AM

455 posts, read 919,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post

If you hate it so much in England, why don't you "just ship out elsewhere"? Kind of a simplistic question, isn't it?

"You're working on it....there's complications and barriers...it's just not that easy...you would do it in a heartbeat if you could", right?

You knew the answer before you posed the question. So what's your point?

Old 01-12-2010, 04:45 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,503,511 times
Because it costs money. A good deal of it.

My husband and I moved from Florida to California last year, and trust me, it wasn't cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area