Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM

8 posts, read 23,446 times

Advertisements

I see where Sarasota County is having an overhaul of their FEMA maps. Is Manatee County doing the same?

We are in elevation A and since living here we have had a subdivision (Cascades) and many alterations made to the neighborhood.

Thanks,
Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:52 AM

Sorry, new to this forum. If I am in the wrong spot let me know. I saw where the FIRMS were being updated in Sarasota County but cannot find out if it is happening in Manatee. The insurance is killing us.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubsnook View Post
Sorry, new to this forum. If I am in the wrong spot let me know. I saw where the FIRMS were being updated in Sarasota County but cannot find out if it is happening in Manatee. The insurance is killing us.
Don't see anywhere where they are updating the Manatee maps, and I'd be willing to bet that the Sarasota update won't make much difference (it may in fact move more people into required zones). Flood is probably the smaller portion of your insurance anyway.

I hate to say it, but I'd expect to see more increases in insurance coming down the pipes. State Farm is going to raise their rates by almost 15% (for those that they didn't already drop) and Citizens was trying to get a bill passed earlier this year to get a 10% increase each year without government interaction.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:19 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Yeah, insurance in Florida is legalized extortion! It's ridiculous, it's not like Florida is the only state with disasters.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:00 AM

13 posts, read 53,371 times
The short answer to your question is yes. Fema is currently undergoing map changes and updates nationwide and that is sure to include Manatee county. I have put up a blog post with alot of helpful information regarding flood insurance and the impending changes. Althought it is Sarasota centric you should find some helpful info there. Also, the Southwest Florida Water Management Department is is taking lead to define the new elevations. If you google them, you may find more information about your specific location.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:13 PM

Thank you for your replies. We have had much in the way of improvements with new sewer project and newer homes and would appreciate someone taking it under consideration when they do the new maps. I downloaded Google's new FEMA FIRM and it shows where we are is just a big question mark.

Stay warm all.
Mary

Old 01-09-2010, 08:30 PM

473 posts, read 1,167,630 times
Dakkak do you know what Palmer Ranch is considered?

Old 01-11-2010, 07:16 AM

Btw,
Dakkak your rates look pretty good. Should I wait until May to consider a new company? Feel free to email me at marysofficeathome@gmail.com.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:14 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
So the FEMA camps could be coming to imprison those in many of the new subdivisions in the area. Doesnt stray too far from my original thought almost a yr ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area