Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 03:46 PM

531 posts, read 1,161,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen and Jim View Post
Ohhhhh, and I thought all those bite on my feet and ankles were from SAND fleas! Wow....what welts I had from those things! I remedied the biting by using a good bug spray before I went outside, and I was bug free thereafter! THIS time, bug spray is going in my luggage! I'm a bug MAGNET! UGH! BTW....I think I'm going to try the vitamin B complex, and see if that helps too. Only 28 more days till we get to our vacation in FL! YAY!
Update: I thought the vitamin B complex pills I consumed 2 weeks before we went down to FL this time (a couple of weeks ago) really cured me of getting bitten, but then one of my cousins thinks that the no see ums are out of season, and I shouldn't get bitten this time of year anyway? Hmmmm.........now I'm wondering......since we'll be there (hopefully) by the end of April, do you think I should keep taking the vitamins? It can't HURT, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 05:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,513 times
I live in Punta Gorda (South of Port Charlotte) and the No-See-Ums are just tearing me apart. They are getting in my room at night and feasting on my blood. My wife and son do not get bitten but my daughter and I are targets. I have all my windows shut but they are so small even the smallest entry allows them to come in. I wish we stayed in Pennsylvania where the bugs are wimpy. Even in the summertime. The problem is .... You can't see them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the time they bite you it's too late.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:05 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roese View Post
Anyone kmow how to get rid of no see ums? I live in North Port and seem to have them inside the house and out. Eating me up but dont seem to bother the wife.
My Goodness, haven't heard this term "no see ums" since I moved from Maine. There is one old time remedy I used when I lived up there and that was to put cheesecloth over the windows to keep them out at night. Other than that, a good exterminator would be the one to come in and rid your home of them. Just be sure that what you have isn't something akin to bed bugs..they are fairly small and will eat you alive as well. Try the exterminator but first find out what the proper name for a "no see um" is as I have not clue..LOL. Good luck with this.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:31 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
I sympathize, foe. They eat me up too, but leave DH alone!! Although mosquitoes love him and not me! Wish I could be more help, but all I can offer is sympathy and the recommendation to slather on the benadryl or calamine after the fact.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:43 PM

241 posts, read 479,973 times
I got eaten up a few weeks ago. The bites lasted for almost 2 weeks, I counted over 70 bites!!(I know from having put neosporin on each one after I scratched myself raw in my sleep!) I looked online and there are as many remedies that work or don't work as there are people who posted them. Apparently with these what works for me may not work for you.

Since then I got Avon Skin So Soft body spray oil. That may or may not be keeping them at bay...I don't seem to be getting eaten alive, just a bite here or there. BUT maybe they just aren't bad around my house right now...who knows? I will continue the SSS just because my skin has been dry and needs it anyway. It's okay, just if you put on too much you feel hot and oily and you have to remember to use it everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area