Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:57 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I would say the majority of the homes in Southside are older 1920's-1950's era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 AM

9 posts, read 19,358 times
I looked at some homes online in Southside Village and out of curiosity, checked them with the National Sex Offender registry. It was amazing and disturbing how many there were within the area (117 within a 5 mile radius). Is this why so many families end up at Palmer Ranch type communities?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverette View Post
I looked at some homes online in Southside Village and out of curiosity, checked them with the National Sex Offender registry. It was amazing and disturbing how many there were within the area (117 within a 5 mile radius). Is this why so many families end up at Palmer Ranch type communities?
I just checked (I hadn't done that in a long time). Sarasota is LOADED with sex offenders, and most of them are right smack in the city, including Laurel Park where we used to live. Fortunately up here in Whitfield Estates, only a couple, and this is a large neighborhood. Anywhere you have lots of rentals (especially cheaper ones) you will find sex offenders, at least that is what I have found.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:01 AM

Yes, gypsychic. I guess that's true about rentals everywhere. Sadly, I'm drawn to those areas since I need a short drive to Whole Foods and the beach. Thanks for the info. on Whitfield Estates. I'll have a lot to check out when I'm there this summer.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:32 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Yes, gypsychic. I guess that's true about rentals everywhere. Sadly, I'm drawn to those areas since I need a short drive to Whole Foods and the beach. Thanks for the info. on Whitfield Estates. I'll have a lot to check out when I'm there this summer.
It is definitely good to do research. Looking at that map, it looks like the heaviest concentrations is north of the downtown and in Sarasota's ghettos, namely Newtown and Bayou Oaks. But there seem to be quite a few West of the Trail across from there and around downtown, too. I will tell you that when I lived downtown in Laurel Park many years ago I had a LOT of trouble with perverts in the area. Since downtown has built up so much, I think that area is a lot better now, but still, if you have kids I'd be careful.

Yes, I love Whitfield Estates for a lot of reasons. It's a real family friendly neighborhood with large lots and sidewalks and lots of open space, and close to everything. We were going to buy in Southgate originally, but now I'm real glad we didn't, this is so much better (at least for us.)

Good luck to you, I am sure you will enjoy scouting everything out!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:28 PM

5 posts, read 18,642 times
Hi Denverette,

Our family made the move several years ago after vacationing here for many,many years and doing a lot of research! It has been a great decision for us. We ended up about 7 miles from Siesta Key beach and go there often with our kids and neighbors. When you come here to look for a home, you will likely want to view the homes that are "West of the Trail"-defined as homes west of Hwy41/Tamiami Trail and includes the Southside Village area and other neighborhoods. You should also view Palmer Ranch, Lakewood Ranch and subdivisions east of 75 that are bordered by Fruitville Road to the north and Clark Road to the south. You will be able to see what your money will buy in each location and zero in on an area based on that, schools and proximity to beaches,shopping, work, etc. For us it has turned out to be a wonderful place to raise our children and enjoy sunshine and beautiful weather all year long! Best wishes and please Moderator cut: No real estate advertising allowed. All members needing RE help can contact you per private direct messages. Joanna

Last edited by 2goldens; 01-29-2010 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: Removed RE sales pitch

Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 PM

That's sounds wonderful for your family, Joanna. Can you tell me what area you chose to live in?

Old 01-31-2010, 02:18 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Hey Denverette,
Welcome to the board.
Did you go to school in Denver? I went to the University of Denver, and I loved Denver when I was there.
Good luck on finding a place, and renting first, while you get your bearings is a good idea.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the welcome, Big House! No, I went to Colorado State in Fort Collins. We moved to Denver after we graduated. Denver is really great. We love it here, but apparently everyone else does, too. Home prices have become ridiculous in the city. And, I'm ready for a warm, beach lifestyle with lots of fresh seafood to eat.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:05 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome, Big House! No, I went to Colorado State in Fort Collins. We moved to Denver after we graduated. Denver is really great. We love it here, but apparently everyone else does, too. Home prices have become ridiculous in the city. And, I'm ready for a warm, beach lifestyle with lots of fresh seafood to eat.
Were you originally from Colorado? I loved Fort Collins. I went up there a number of times. I also used to go up to Chyenne and Laramie Wyoming a lot. I loved the mountains, and I liked to ski and hike. I still remember going to Red Rocks and watching some amazing concerts as the sun set behind me, and the City lights brightened as it grew dark. Spectacular doesn't quite do the experience justice.

There were a couple places that I used to go to that had the best food. One was Chataeu Pyrenese, one was Toby Jugs, and the other one was Gator Magoons. Are any of them still out there?

One thing that will really strike you is how green and lush everything is here. Even when we are in your dry season here, it is still 1000 times greener than it is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area