Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:15 PM

50 posts, read 204,968 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are looking to purchase a house in the coming months. We currently live in an incredible W Bradenton neighborhood near the river, but this neighborhood may be out of our price range realistically. And although, we've scoured Bradenton... we haven't found exactly what we're looking for yet. We want the charm of the "river district" but on a lower budget

Now we are thinking to open our search to Sarasota as well, as it may have a lot to offer. However, we aren't too familiar with many neighborhoods in Sarasota. We have only lived in Bradenton for a little over a year now and are still getting our bearings on Manatee county. We can drive around and look at listings until we're blue... but I'd love to hear some feedback from actual residents..

My DH and I are both mid 30s and would love to have a home with a larger (fenced) lot. We adore bungalow style homes.... and truly desire a safe area. Having nightlife in our backyard isn't too important. This area of FL is so convenient that you're less than 30 minutes to anything you want to do regardless of where you live. And we do not have children, so school districts would only be a concern for resale, I guess.

We looked at a home in the Desoto Lakes area today... not sure if that is the correct term: it was off of Desoto Road, on Carmen Avenue(?) I believe. The area looked nice and really centralized, but we were limited to driving around the few streets we did while in that area. Is this a nice area to live? Are there better areas? We are familiar with Lakewood Ranch and similar areas and still not sure that is right for us.

Thanks in advance for your help. We do have a realtor we're working with in Bradenton, but her expertise is in Bradenton as this is where she lives as well. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 04:46 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keelybella View Post
Hi! My husband and I are looking to purchase a house in the coming months. We currently live in an incredible W Bradenton neighborhood near the river, but this neighborhood may be out of our price range realistically. And although, we've scoured Bradenton... we haven't found exactly what we're looking for yet. We want the charm of the "river district" but on a lower budget

Now we are thinking to open our search to Sarasota as well, as it may have a lot to offer. However, we aren't too familiar with many neighborhoods in Sarasota. We have only lived in Bradenton for a little over a year now and are still getting our bearings on Manatee county. We can drive around and look at listings until we're blue... but I'd love to hear some feedback from actual residents..

My DH and I are both mid 30s and would love to have a home with a larger (fenced) lot. We adore bungalow style homes.... and truly desire a safe area. Having nightlife in our backyard isn't too important. This area of FL is so convenient that you're less than 30 minutes to anything you want to do regardless of where you live. And we do not have children, so school districts would only be a concern for resale, I guess.

We looked at a home in the Desoto Lakes area today... not sure if that is the correct term: it was off of Desoto Road, on Carmen Avenue(?) I believe. The area looked nice and really centralized, but we were limited to driving around the few streets we did while in that area. Is this a nice area to live? Are there better areas? We are familiar with Lakewood Ranch and similar areas and still not sure that is right for us.

Thanks in advance for your help. We do have a realtor we're working with in Bradenton, but her expertise is in Bradenton as this is where she lives as well. Thank you!!!
I personally like that DeSoto area, it feels sort of rural, but it's beautiful and close to everything. I think prices are pretty good in there as well. We live here in Whitfield Estates, between Sarasota and Bradenton, close to the bay and love it, some pretty good deals here, too. But you probably won't find any "bungalow" homes. Have you checked into Wares Creek in Bradenton? I know that has a lot of historic charm, but really don't know too much about living in that neighborhood. What's your price range? There are bungalow homes in Laurel Park and Gillespie Park near downtown Sarasota, however, I can't really recommend those areas, they are overpriced and there are issues with crime.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:01 PM

50 posts, read 204,968 times
Thanks Gypsychic! I haven't spent too much time researching Laurel Park and Gillespie Park - but from what I can tell, Wares Creek is probably very similar in a lot of ways that you've mentioned.

I'm not familiar with Whitfield Estates, might have to check into that area. We're not stuck on bungalows (I'm learning they may be a dying breed) but we would like some charm We'd like to keep our price range under $160 if at all possible. Thanks again!!

Old 02-04-2010, 05:40 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keelybella View Post
Thanks Gypsychic! I haven't spent too much time researching Laurel Park and Gillespie Park - but from what I can tell, Wares Creek is probably very similar in a lot of ways that you've mentioned.

I'm not familiar with Whitfield Estates, might have to check into that area. We're not stuck on bungalows (I'm learning they may be a dying breed) but we would like some charm We'd like to keep our price range under $160 if at all possible. Thanks again!!
Gillespie & Wares creek have more crime issues than Laurel Park.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Gillespie & Wares creek have more crime issues than Laurel Park.
That may be true, but the price of Laurel Park is way out of her price range.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:18 PM

8 posts, read 23,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 419gottaminute View Post
do urself a favor.......
take soflgals' advice, she's always on top of things...
njoy.............
After my initial research into this area, SoFLgal appears to be one of the most informed folks on here for this area. I plan to take all of her suggestions to heart and when my wife and I travel back to the Sarasota area again to begin the school research and neighborhood research, her advice with serve as an invaluable starting point for us.

Thanks to all of you for all of your great posts and information.

Tired of the cold wet winter....Dash Family from KY...

Old 02-05-2010, 03:06 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashfamily View Post
After my initial research into this area, SoFLgal appears to be one of the most informed folks on here for this area. I plan to take all of her suggestions to heart and when my wife and I travel back to the Sarasota area again to begin the school research and neighborhood research, her advice with serve as an invaluable starting point for us.

Thanks to all of you for all of your great posts and information.

Tired of the cold wet winter....Dash Family from KY...

Good Luck! I think you have a good accessment so far!
So, . . . when are you gonna Dash down for another visit?

Old 02-06-2010, 10:57 AM

20 posts, read 28,374 times
Default Gulf Gate

My husband & I are thinking of coming down to Sarasota to look at the Gulf Gate community. Can anyone tell me what they think of this community ?

Old 12-23-2010, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,070 times
Default Gulf Gate

Because of the economic down turn, the Gulf Gate area has become more affordable, and within reach of more families.
Generally speaking , this area is large enough to have some low cost, modest housing, very nice middle class housing , to upscale estates...it is mostly middle to upscale

There are malls, restaurants, shopping and the Siesta Beach near by , (that has been ranked in the top 10 best, year after year). From k-12, the Gulf Gate area schools are excellent.

Although Sarasota has felt the impact of this economic down turn, it is not dying like some places. This is one of the best places to live in the world, with bargain prices for R.E. that will not last forever.

Sarasota has a public University extension, a world class Honors college, and the Ringling School of Art, that is not only world famous, but has one of the few "State of the art" animation studios and training programs.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:49 PM

171 posts, read 180,980 times
caribbeanppl---lot of luck in Fort Misery. Much better than Sarasota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area