Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,837,558 times

Advertisements

I prefer SWFL International Airport in Fort Myers, but Sarasota is a little closer to Englewood. There are also a few cheaper flights from Houston to Sarasota (with one stop) according to Expedia on US Airways. Fort Myers appears to be about $50 more. The Fort Myers Airport to Englewood is approx 66 miles. Sarasota/Bradenton Airport to Englewood is approx 43 miles. Depending on the time of day, there should only be about a 20 minute difference between the 2 locations. You can get a direct flight to RSW (Fort Myers) but you said "economical" so taking the flights with 1 or 2 stops is cheaper. US Air and Delta have lots of flights from Houston to Sarasota in the $259 rndtrip (plus tax) range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 04:38 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,111,660 times
both Ft Myers and sarasota are nice smaller airports. i prefer direct flights just to avoid prolonging an already painful process, the problem is for me is Virgin only fly to Orlando or Miami. I have occasionally flown in NY and then down to the local airports whoch are much more enjoyable

Old 02-04-2010, 08:11 AM

917 posts, read 2,604,719 times
Mrs Tommy wasn't saying anything bad about Punta Gorda airport. She and I both have our own different reasons for not wanting to fly the smaller carriers due to safety concerns. (not that we're doing much flying lately)

In her case it was a close call. In mine it's some scary stories by an aviation mechanic I used to know. We both feel safer with the bigger operations.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:40 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,024,131 times
I've been to the Florida International Air show in Punta Gorda. I think the air port is great, close and convienient. I haven't flown in there, because the two airlines I use most (South West and Air Tran) don't fly in there. They offer the most competative rates to Sarasota and Ft. Myers, and which ever I get the best deal on, that's where I'm going.

I use BJs to get me to and from the airport, if someone isn't picking me up. Thier phone number is 941-235-3111. They will pick you up or drop you off at either place.

Direct Air, leases thier planes from major carriers, and are well maintained. I think thier safety record is very good, so if they were an option for me, I'd use them. The only reason Punta Gorda isn't used more by the major carriers is because of the terminals capacity, not because the runways aren't adequate.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:10 PM

It never hurts to really find out who owns and maintains the aircraft that you're flying on.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:26 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,919,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
It never hurts to really find out who owns and maintains the aircraft that you're flying on.
I really doubt anyone has a choice as to the people that maintain aircraft in any airport anywhere, what do you do Tommy, every time you fly, you walk out onto the tarmac and ask to meet the machanics that worked on that particular plane and ask to review all maintenance records? as BH said all these planes are leased and inspected as plane in the large airports are. I really doubt the FAA lets the maintenance slip on planes because the fly into the small regional airports Wow. Mr.Cool

Old 02-05-2010, 08:54 AM

You might want to do a little research before you start arguing this one.

On second thought. I don't care. It's not my butt.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
You might want to do a little research before you start arguing this one.

On second thought. I don't care. It's not my butt.
What Tommy said is true! It never hurts to do the research.

That said, it is pointless to argue safety. What is safe enough for one, is never going to be safe enough for another. Having owned a Construction company, and dealing with OSHA for years and years, they always are updating the safety regulations, and it is almost impossible these days to run a job site so that it is perfectly safe - all the time. I never had a lost time accident on any job, and we had outside safety inspectors come on our job that are experts on the OSHA, MOSHA to inspect the job at random unscheduled intervals (Maryland OSHA as an example - both have jurisdiction on a job in MD), or what every State your in, they did not report to the Site Manager, but me as the Owner. Because, it is me as the Owner that would be RESPONSIBLE and fined. Needless to say, even though we never had a loss time accident, I would see people doing things that would cause potential for an accident - No matter how careful you are. Accidents happen, so there is no point in arguing about show safe is safe - if you ever have an accident, it wasn't safe enough, and accident prevention is costly, but not costly when compared to the cost to a victim.

But, FAA is the agency that requires maintenance and does inspections, and the airlines all know that they better have the planes inspected in accordance with their requirements. If not there are huge fines, and penalties, and it will make thier business fail, if they don't keep up to those standards. I think overall the Airline industry does a tremendous job trying to avoid - what is impossible to avoid.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:23 PM
GPH

94 posts, read 231,419 times
Sarasota airport is great, small, easy to get through and drive away from. Short distance to Englewood.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPH View Post
Sarasota airport is great, small, easy to get through and drive away from. Short distance to Englewood.
Thanks GPH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area