Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:38 AM

100 posts, read 146,035 times

Advertisements

My wallet was stolen so I lost my debit card, S.S. card, drivers lisence, insurance cards and so on.
I went to the bank first. Thank God I had my picture on my card so they could identify me.
Now off to the drivers lisence office.
Whoops, silly me, I forgot we now needed all kinds of I.D. to get a lisence back.
I had to go to the S.S. Office where they asked me questions about my parents to be sure i was who I said I was.
They gave me a print out and an application to bring back when I get my PHOTO I.D.!
The print out of the S.S. worked and I also needed a bill or something that comes to my home to prove where I live.
I do all of my bill paying via internet.
Luckily I had just purchased my home and could use the Clerk of Court paper showing my address.
If that wasn't enough, I still had to stand in line for over an hour to get it.

That was my birthday last month. I had to take an entire day off from work just to get this taken care of.
What happened to the land of the free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 11:38 AM

17,455 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I actually made my appointment a month in advance for last Friday afternoon. I had all my paperwork together...or so I thought.

I went in and the gatekeeper told me I would need a copy of my divorce paperwork. There went my 9:30 a.m. slot. Went back home, pulled out my divorce papers & headed to the DL office located in the AAA buidling down on Bee Ridge. Signed in, sat down, called in my free tickets for my birthday @ McCurdy's comedy club for Saturday evening while waiting to take care of business.
About 1/2 hour later, my name was called & I handed my paper work to the DL lady. She told me I needed to have my divorce decree NOTARIZED...I was like wait a minute here, I've been divorced for 10 years, had my FL driver's license for almost 20 years...WTF?
Got in the car & headed to the Manatee court house to get a copy of the NOTARIZED divorce certificate. I figured I might as well go get my license taken care of at the big DL office by the DeSoto Square Mall. The lady looked at my paperwork & told me due to the fact that I had a ticket three years ago, I would need to take a sign test but they didn't offer those there. Another WTF?
It was time for lunch with my little friend, Jose Cuervo.
After lunch, I returned to Sarasota to see what they would have to say now that I had my notorized 10 year old divorce decree.
I didn't say anything except, "here's my paperwork" to the DL lady. I was styling now...got my photo done, did the eye test then......here it came. "Your divorce paperwork is not good enough, we need a copy of your marriage certificate.".....I said, now wait a minute here...I've been divorced for 10 years, had my DL in Florida since 1991 and you're telling me that you need to see my marriage certificate to prove who I am? My SS# card even still has my maiden name on it but my annual letter shows my married name because I did change it but I had lost my card with my married name. DL lady told me the SS card is not a legal document. Gee, no wonder we can give them to illegal aliens in the U.S. makes sense to me!
So after dealing with four trips to RENEW my FL DL from 9 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. all I got was a 30 day extension.

Now, I have to take another day off work, send away for my marriage certificate from another state & hope that they will not ask me for anything else.

Wonder how the Haitain refugees will get driver's licenses?????????
OMG - that is awful!

So that is what we all have to look forward to - it's almost enough to make me want to quit driving, which I already wish I could do!!!

Old 03-24-2010, 02:39 PM

917 posts, read 2,603,374 times
They actually have an interactive web site that might help avoid some frustration. Entering info about yourself determines what you need to bring.

It also seems like a lot of folks don't even need to go in person.

Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Index

Old 03-24-2010, 03:45 PM

4,892 posts, read 14,081,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
They actually have an interactive web site that might help avoid some frustration. Entering info about yourself determines what you need to bring.

It also seems like a lot of folks don't even need to go in person.

Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Index
Anyone who is up for renewall will have to go in person now due to the change of Florida laws. Believe me, I went to the web page, I called the driver's license office. It's not as clear cut as you think.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:58 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,908,206 times
Thanks for the link Tommy.
I followed the checklist on the renewal/name change and got to the last part and it said, "Provide proof of being human by submitting a kidney. A non-functioning kidney will not be accepted."

Old 03-24-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Anyone who is up for renewall will have to go in person now due to the change of Florida laws. Believe me, I went to the web page, I called the driver's license office. It's not as clear cut as you think.
Ok, I'm sure you're a person of reasonable intelligence, so if you had a difficult time, I guess it's going to be pretty tough on older folks.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by col.w.deering View Post
thanks for the link tommy.
I followed the checklist on the renewal/name change and got to the last part and it said, "provide proof of being human by submitting a kidney. A non-functioning kidney will not be accepted."
lol

Old 03-24-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Actually (if I'm reading it right) it says that some people (depending on their birth date) can renew once on line.
I filled out the form and it told me my license would be accepted by the feds until 2017.

However my license expires in 2013, so if I understand it correctly, I can renew it once on line. (Not that I expect be here still)

Quote:
Tallahassee, Fla. – Beginning Jan. 1, 2010, new documentation requirements will take effect for Florida residents wishing to obtain a driver license or identification card. Those wishing to obtain a new license, legally change their name prior to their renewal date, or immediately replace a lost or stolen license or ID card will be required to visit a driver license office and show proof of: 1) identification, 2) Social Security number and 3) residential address (two items). Those simply renewing may do so by a convenience method, via the Internet or mail, one time between office renewals. The renewal following a convenience option must be in a state driver license office (or participating tax collector office) where new requirements will be in effect.
Floridians are encouraged to visit GatherGoGet.com to find out how and when to gather your documents, go to a driver license office and get your new card. This online hub allows residents to obtain contact information showing where to get required documents, create personalized checklists and browse a list of local driver license offices in their area.

Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Press Room (http://www.gathergoget.com/press/2009121801.php - broken link)

Old 03-24-2010, 04:46 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,018,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagal View Post
My wallet was stolen so I lost my debit card, S.S. card, drivers lisence, insurance cards and so on.
I went to the bank first. Thank God I had my picture on my card so they could identify me.
Now off to the drivers lisence office.
Whoops, silly me, I forgot we now needed all kinds of I.D. to get a lisence back.
I had to go to the S.S. Office where they asked me questions about my parents to be sure i was who I said I was.
They gave me a print out and an application to bring back when I get my PHOTO I.D.!
The print out of the S.S. worked and I also needed a bill or something that comes to my home to prove where I live.
I do all of my bill paying via internet.
Luckily I had just purchased my home and could use the Clerk of Court paper showing my address.
If that wasn't enough, I still had to stand in line for over an hour to get it.

That was my birthday last month. I had to take an entire day off from work just to get this taken care of.
What happened to the land of the free?
I just lost my wallet. I called and cancelled all my credit cards, and ordered new ones. I called it all in yesterday and already have the new ones in my hands.

I went over to get my license, and since I was out of state last year, I had to bring my birth certificate, SS card, passport, old photo drivers license, and my previous years tax return all so they could ensure it was me. So..... after a couple trips back to MD to bring down all the stuff I needed, if finally got my Florida drivers license only to lose it this week. So over to the DL place again I go. All the important papers were brought back to MD. ;-( And, because of the new Florida ID law, I have to bring all same the crap down again - or so I thought. After waiting for a half hour, and talking to the person that helped me last year, and she remembered all I went through, she helped me and she told me I can go to Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles and get a photo ID drivers license reissued from there for like $25.00. So I did, it will be here in a week. It was very easy. Teagal I hope this helps you. It was much easier than having to go through all the other stuff, and it was less expensive.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 AM

20 posts, read 40,929 times
I agree, it's not as clear cut as you might think. Word of advice - make sure any legal documents have a raised seal. I keep all of our original docs in a lock box, so it was pretty easy to gather everything.

Last week, we went to convert our licenses into FL. I went to the gather go get site, talked to the tax collector's office, and had all of our ducks in a row. Well... It turns out that our marriage license.... The one we were originally given by our pastor.... The one that got us back into the US from Mexico before passports were required.... Was only a plain copy. Thankfully, my wife's parents still live in Cincinnati and were able to get the certified copy. Apparently, you do not get a certified copy of this until you request it from the government.

Needless to say, my wife was pretty irritated that she waited with me for a half hour and only one of us walked out with a license in hand. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area