Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:23 AM

28 posts, read 53,827 times

Advertisements

Just purchased a place in a village north of north port. I love fishing and golf and want to be close to the action but a bit away from the big cities. I am very active and love the area. I will probably look for a part time job somewhere for a few days a week but I do not need a job. I also will be doing some volunteering . I hear mostly great things about the area but I do hear some people saying not to move there. Some mention crime and no jobs and vacant houses. At the same time I see national publications listing the area as one of the "best places to live".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:26 AM

172 posts, read 472,525 times
I love living in southwest Florida. It is a really nice place to live. Welcome! :-)

Old 01-29-2010, 06:32 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
I think you're going to find varying opinions about any area you may research. The job market is pretty thought right now, hovering right around 12% unemployment. I say (as well as other members) say not to move here if you depend on a job and don't have one nailed down already.

I live in North Port with my family and have no problem with any crime. Fact is, in NP, there were a ton of homes built during the "boom" and many of those homeowners got in over their heads and now are being foreclosed on. Most of the homes that are foreclosures sell as soon as they hit the market but there are a steady steam of them.

If you love fishing and golf and you don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a home, North Port should work out OK for you.

Oh ya, welcome to the neighborhood

Old 01-29-2010, 08:35 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5858 View Post
Just purchased a place in a village north of north port. I love fishing and golf and want to be close to the action but a bit away from the big cities. I am very active and love the area. I will probably look for a part time job somewhere for a few days a week but I do not need a job. I also will be doing some volunteering . I hear mostly great things about the area but I do hear some people saying not to move there. Some mention crime and no jobs and vacant houses. At the same time I see national publications listing the area as one of the "best places to live".
Hey mike5858,
Welcome to the board!
I live in Punta Gorda, but I am out and about all the time. I think it is because I was always kicked outta the house as a kid, so I don't stay home much. I like North Port a lot, I run up there all the time and drive all over the area, just checking and learning more about the area - I do the same thing with Venice, Sarasota, Arcadia, Ft. Myers Cape Coral, and Punta Gorda of course. I like architecture, buildings, landscaping, and studing how things are constructed - what makes things tick around here. SWFL is cool.

I go in all kinds of areas, upscale, and some that look more troubled, and I get out and talk to people. I stop in little out of the way grocery stores, and drive in an around the neighborhoods. There is a lot to get to know. Its cool.

This board has a lot of helpful posters that offer stories and advice.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:40 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,281 times
North port seems to be having a lot of trouble with code compliance.

Quote:
North Port pays a price for code cases

"City taxpayers have paid a Sarasota law firm more than $550,000 since 2006 to sue North Port residents for code infractions -- far more than they have recouped in judgments and settlements."

"The outlay for legal expenses comes as North Port's financial outlook deteriorates. One projection shows the city's general fund going broke in two years. Overall, North Port cut its legal budget by more than 20 percent to control costs this year."

North Port pays a price for code cases | HeraldTribune.com

Related story: Judge slashes North Port code fines | HeraldTribune.com

Old 01-29-2010, 10:50 AM

28 posts, read 53,827 times
Thanks for the info. I drove around North Port today and it looks like a nice area. Think I'm gonna like it.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,611 times
Just got back home to Baltimore (bah-humbug!) after spending 4 days in southwest Florida. Spent 3 or 4 hours on Tuesday in North Port as I had been checking out homes online and could not believe what I was seeing, so I flew down to check it out in person. I was worried I would find a ghost town, but that's not the case. I was just amazed at what I could afford down there. Now I have a lot to think about, and would love to relocate sooner rather than later. I am hoping to find a way to make it happen. Especially after spending the last 4 days in beautiful 70 degree weather and then coming home to temperatures in the 20's. Brrrr!!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:36 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Yeah, North Port is a nice little town with some great deals. Glad you had a good trip down. I really liked Baltimore when I spent a day there this winter. Fells Point is really cool and the Bohemian Café is the bomb We had a really good time at the Visionary Art Museum as well.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:56 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Just got back home to Baltimore (bah-humbug!) after spending 4 days in southwest Florida. Spent 3 or 4 hours on Tuesday in North Port as I had been checking out homes online and could not believe what I was seeing, so I flew down to check it out in person. I was worried I would find a ghost town, but that's not the case. I was just amazed at what I could afford down there. Now I have a lot to think about, and would love to relocate sooner rather than later. I am hoping to find a way to make it happen. Especially after spending the last 4 days in beautiful 70 degree weather and then coming home to temperatures in the 20's. Brrrr!!
I know, the way some people talk you'd think that they were describing Cherry Hill, for crying out loud. It's nothing like that is it!?! If you want me to scope something out for you - just let me know. I have taken photos and offered my thoughts on some places down here for some of our CD friends.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:55 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5858 View Post
Hi, Mike

Guess I'm the only person who is having trouble understanding your post. You already purchased a home, right? A village north of North Port? (Warm Mineral Springs?) Anyway, at this point it doesn't matter what people say if you already bought a home. Just enjoy yourself. If you are north of North Port and retired, I'd hang out in Venice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area