U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:01 PM

338 posts, read 933,150 times

Advertisements

I have a question about plumbing in homes in Venice. If you are looking to purchase a home in Venice should you look for one that has been replumbed already? And about how old of a house will probably need to be replumbed? Is it just some parts of town with the issue (such as homes on well) ? I have read before that some think it is related to inferior copper pipes and others think it is the water. We are considering moving to Venice and this is a concern for us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 04:30 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,265,981 times
We had ours done 2 years ago, cost was around 5k. It is not bad copper, it is not just Venice or parts of Venice, it is a county wide issue with any home having county water. Make sure the home has been done already, if not, knock it of the price. It will need to be done sooner or later. Ill try to find the article regarding the engineering issue with the treatment plant. The county had no funding for a new plant or retro fit so they say it is due to copper shavings from when the pipes were cut. The shavings have a chemical reaction when in concrete and voila, it eats your copper pipes. While that is valid, I dont know 1 person in venice that has a well that has had to redo the plumbing..... Its the water my friend. I have a client that built their home 4 maybe 5 years ago in Venice, the had to redo theirs this year.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 13,943 times
Some time ago, there was an article that {paraphrasing} determined the following:
In the mid 1900's, {not sure when}, all CITY water had some chemical formulation of aluminum introduced into it, along with some other minute particulates. These formed alining inside the copper water pipes, similar to "hardening of the arteries" if you will. Very good for the pipes, and NOT harmful to people.
ALong comes the Clean Water Act which mandated ALL these chemicals had to be removed from CITY water. Wallah! Government helping, again!
End result... after all these years, the lining has WORN AWAY, exposing the copper to the damaging effects of the CHLORINE! *For those who don't know, chlorine is added to "disinfect" the water.
Good for the safety of the water, but NOT so good for the pipes.
Hope this makes sense, 'cause I can't find the article.
Oh, by the way, chlorine is another story in itself. Look it up.
Well water never had the aluminum compounds introduced into it, and well water with a LOW ph {below 6.8} is corrosive to copper, in it's own right. Hard water by itself is NOT corrosive, but will clog up- from iron and the reaction of electrolysis.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509revo View Post
Some time ago, there was an article that {paraphrasing} determined the following:
In the mid 1900's, {not sure when}, all CITY water had some chemical formulation of aluminum introduced into it, along with some other minute particulates. These formed alining inside the copper water pipes, similar to "hardening of the arteries" if you will. Very good for the pipes, and NOT harmful to people.
ALong comes the Clean Water Act which mandated ALL these chemicals had to be removed from CITY water. Wallah! Government helping, again!
End result... after all these years, the lining has WORN AWAY, exposing the copper to the damaging effects of the CHLORINE! *For those who don't know, chlorine is added to "disinfect" the water.
Good for the safety of the water, but NOT so good for the pipes.
Hope this makes sense, 'cause I can't find the article.
Oh, by the way, chlorine is another story in itself. Look it up.
Well water never had the aluminum compounds introduced into it, and well water with a LOW ph {below 6.8} is corrosive to copper, in it's own right. Hard water by itself is NOT corrosive, but will clog up- from iron and the reaction of electrolysis.
Chlorine is added to water in many parts of the country and I just have not heard of so many houses needing to be replumbed due to its effects on the copper pipes. It must be a combination of factors found in this area I guess.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:31 PM

33,206 posts, read 52,512,898 times
lots of people in Venice area get bottled water--I think the water from the tap tastes horrid
don't know why--don't care -- just don't want to drink it...

Old 02-06-2010, 07:34 PM

70 posts, read 228,758 times
Default Repipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
We had ours done 2 years ago, cost was around 5k. It is not bad copper, it is not just Venice or parts of Venice, it is a county wide issue with any home having county water. Make sure the home has been done already, if not, knock it of the price. It will need to be done sooner or later. Ill try to find the article regarding the engineering issue with the treatment plant. The county had no funding for a new plant or retro fit so they say it is due to copper shavings from when the pipes were cut. The shavings have a chemical reaction when in concrete and voila, it eats your copper pipes. While that is valid, I dont know 1 person in venice that has a well that has had to redo the plumbing..... Its the water my friend. I have a client that built their home 4 maybe 5 years ago in Venice, the had to redo theirs this year.

I live in Venice and have a well..had to repipe my house last year. My house is old, built in 1989... Not a cheap thing to have to do!

Old 02-07-2010, 03:57 AM

917 posts, read 2,429,698 times
Here's a thread from a plumbing forum on a different site.
A couple of plumbers there say Florida has a lot of trouble with pin hole leaks in copper.
Slab leak - RIDGID Plumbing Forum, Woodworking Forum, Power Tool Forum

Old 02-07-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikimiller View Post
I live in Venice and have a well..had to repipe my house last year. My house is old, built in 1989... Not a cheap thing to have to do!
I don't think 20 yrs is old for a house. Thats a shame plumbing here doesn't last longer. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:54 PM

35 posts, read 49,941 times
I just had my condo re-piped in December. Had a big slab leak that flooded the entire unit. Bldg. was built in 1989. Plumbing company said it's the water, not the age of the copper pipes. Brand-new CPVC pipe up in the attic now $4,000 later (plus the cost of Servpro having to do the whole water extraction thing). Messy business!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:33 PM

70 posts, read 228,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debvic View Post
I don't think 20 yrs is old for a house. Thats a shame plumbing here doesn't last longer. Thanks for the info.
I dont realy think it is old either, but I think for Florida it must be. When anyone I am talking to asks when my house was built and I tell them..they say"oh you have a old house!"
My home in Penna. was over 100 years old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area