Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:55 AM

7 posts, read 21,589 times

Advertisements

I am looking for info on the Ellenton area to retire. Any info wwould be appreciated ie; 55+ communities, preferably gated, medical facilities, shopping, dining, activities, crime stats.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 05:29 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,265,962 times
I would NOT retire in Ellenton if the house was FREE. Much too close to the gangs and crime of Palmetto. It may be a quiet area now but I don't presume it will last too much longer. Nice homes sure, but not too many in 55+ communites. I think the nearest hospital is half hour away at Manatee Memorial.. Try Sarasota, search around Im sure you'll be pleased

Old 02-06-2010, 07:10 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,467,398 times
I disagree. I have many clients in Ellenton and Palmetto and have not had 1 tell me of increased crime or gang related issues. There are many 55 + communities and I have been in them all. They are for the most part quiet and very clean. I have spent alot of time in these areas, and while Palmetto has bad areas, I cant see the crime factor migrating into Ellenton anytime soon, if at all. Palmetto has plenty of low income areas, Ellenton does not, where will these dregs of society go there ? Ellenton is a nice place, so is Parrish. People say the same thing about Bradenton, they say you wait the crime is going to leave town and go east..... what ever, it costs money to live out east. Will Lakewood Ranch be over run when the crime moves east ? Very unlikely.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,249,701 times
I will also agree that Ellenton is not that bad.

It is 10 minutes to the hospital if you drive slow, the outlet mall is there along with Publix and a Kmart. Not too many dining choices, but there is The Crab Trap and Gio along with a few fast food places.

Not sure there are gated 55+ communites, but I know there are 55+.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:57 AM

17,548 posts, read 39,177,121 times
I don't think Ellenton is bad at all - it's just a quiet little rural community with not much going on. It hasn't changed in years, it looks the same as it did when we lived in Sarasota the first time, over 20 years ago.

Crime is exaggerated in Bradenton and Palmetto, especially Bradenton. Palmetto has issues, but again, mostly in certain areas.

The main thing about Ellenton is that there is NOT that much going on there, but it's a real easy drive to "civilization" so to speak. I don't know about any 55+ communities, it just seems like a little rural burg to me, but there are some nice areas on the river there. Also, the Crab Trap is a fabulous restaurant to go too, it has great ambiance (looks like an old Trader vic's!) and a huge menu. It also has a beautiful setting overlooking a pretty pond. Lots of antique shops in Ellenton too.

An easy drive to medical facilities and good shopping.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:03 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,265,962 times
Im just sharing my opinion.. not really based on facts. I know a number of middle class people that have moved quickly from Ellenton due to the crime rate/neighboring areas.. Just my input. I am sorry that I was misinformed about the 55+ areas and hospitals..

Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 PM

118 posts, read 276,316 times
I have owned a home in Ellenton for the past ten years and the only changes have been more places to eat and more homes...there has never been a big crime issue here- quiet place and tons of people retire here. Are you looking for manufactured homes? The biggest 55+ I know of is Colony Cove. It is gated in several areas.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:06 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,069,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't think Ellenton is bad at all - it's just a quiet little rural community with not much going on. It hasn't changed in years, it looks the same as it did when we lived in Sarasota the first time, over 20 years ago.

Crime is exaggerated in Bradenton and Palmetto, especially Bradenton. Palmetto has issues, but again, mostly in certain areas.

The main thing about Ellenton is that there is NOT that much going on there, but it's a real easy drive to "civilization" so to speak. I don't know about any 55+ communities, it just seems like a little rural burg to me, but there are some nice areas on the river there. Also, the Crab Trap is a fabulous restaurant to go too, it has great ambiance (looks like an old Trader vic's!) and a huge menu. It also has a beautiful setting overlooking a pretty pond. Lots of antique shops in Ellenton too.

An easy drive to medical facilities and good shopping.
There is definitely not much going on there. The outlet mall is the only cultural attraction it seems. Seems like the average age is 40-70 yrs old no joke. I hardly see young people there.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:48 AM

24 posts, read 68,069 times
Default Compared to What?

How could people be so far off in their opinions? I assume it depends on where they have lived before.

I would like to see for myself. What is the most central location to get a hotel, in the Tampa area to spend a week scoping Spring Hill to Sarasota?

Thanks

Old 03-09-2010, 01:43 PM

21 posts, read 50,186 times
I live in Parrish while my parents live in Spring Hill. While finishing up college, I stood in SH for a couple summers. For retirement, I think Ellenton would be much nicer. SH has had a huge boom of construction and it seems like there's more teenagers than anything else. I really like the Parrish area. The only thing I don't like is how my neighborhood has changed so much because of the economy. When I can finally sell, I'll probably buy something bigger that's deeper into Parrish and isn't deed restricted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area