Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 PM

60 posts, read 140,439 times

Advertisements

Has anyone purchased hardwood floors online or at a discounter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:38 PM

59 posts, read 144,948 times
Drawing on my experience of having worked in kitchen design and in hardware stores for about 4 years, hardwood is always a tough thing to order online. The thing with hardwood flooring is that it's extremely susceptible to humidity and temperature change. Even laminate flooring is, but hardwood particularly so. In SW Florida, you're not in the deep freezer the rest of the nation is, so the shock of moving from a likely cold weather warehouse to humid FL will likely cause a LOT of warping and splitting. With laminate, since it's manmade and more dense, acclimating the product (ie: setting it in the room for a few days to a week before install) is typically enough to eliminate such issues, but with hardwood, it's better to go with a local distributor and inspect a board from every three or four boxes.

If you're DIYing the install (sounds like it if you're ordering online,) going through a big box like HD or Lowes allows for ease of getting more product for if (when) you miss a cut or underestimate materials needed. It's also a heck of a lot easier to return if you overestimate. They're also going to be national brands (such as Bruce) that will have more reputable warranties. Finally, they'll have availability of some of the more exotic woods (like bamboo, awesome for humid areas and gives an amazing look) at a much lower price.

HTH

Old 02-19-2010, 06:19 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQGator1 View Post
Has anyone purchased hardwood floors online or at a discounter?
I ordered laminate online a few years ago. Everything went well, except the unloading. I didn't realize I would be expected to help unload the truck when it got to my house. Not a big deal, I'm just glad I was home or I may not have received my flooring. I even did a small re-order two years ago when we had a water leak that damaged some floor. And a word to the wise, if your wife wants laminate in the kitchen, just say no. Or as I told mine, if something leaks; like the dishwasher, ice maker, etc; you can replace the laminate. Of course that didn't actually work when the flooring had to be replaced, but it was worth a shot.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:56 AM

70 posts, read 245,894 times
I have often wondered about this myself..... I have seen some great deals for flooring on line..But if anyone is going to get ripped off, it will be me!!!
I would like to try Empire Flooring..they always have good prices on tv....has anyone used them?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:44 PM

325 posts, read 1,024,144 times
Lumber Liquidators just had over a Thousand square foot dropped off today.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 PM

66 posts, read 143,712 times
since many hardwoods are the result of rainforest destruction, you might want to consider alternatives.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:01 PM

Nah I like rainforest destruction

Old 02-23-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuild View Post
Lumber Liquidators just had over a Thousand square foot dropped off today.
what kind, color, price and do you like them?

By the way I was just kidding about liking rainforest destruction

Old 02-24-2010, 06:09 PM

How bout bamboo floors?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 PM

59 posts, read 144,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQGator1 View Post
How bout bamboo floors?
I'm very much a fan of bamboo as it performs admirably well in humid climates. Minimal expansion, so you don't get the annoying gaps between boards. It also just has a nice feel and is remarkably scratch resistant. Somewhat limited in colors though, as it's ridiculously dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area