U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 01:22 AM

7,201 posts, read 13,479,433 times

Advertisements

About what would it cost to have a cage added to a house and no pool? Say a cage of about 16X24 feet. We don't want a pool. We had one here and used it twice. We want a cage to sit outside with our cats and enjoy raising tropical plants in pots while sipping a cold beverage - bug free. Who builds them?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 08:29 AM

204 posts, read 554,413 times
There is another recent thread on this you might want to search for.

Absolute Aluminum and Bishop's Aluminum both build cages locally.

We used Absolute for ours, they did a great job and were the best price out of 3 quotes.

Cost is hard to estimate on a $ per sf basis, too many variables like height, type of screening, will footers be needed, flowcrete (sp), cage top style (flat, mansard, etc), attachment to house (yes, no, straight, L section), # and type of doors, will gutters need to be replaced, ad nauseum. Get a free estimate from the pros. It didn't take long.

Current building codes require a little higher engineering to withstand wind loads than in the past, so be careful going independent unless they do permitting and everything by the book. Savings Now = Really Expensive Giant Kite during the next tropical storm.

HHH

Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 AM

204 posts, read 554,413 times
Here's the other thread on cages:
//www.city-data.com/forum/saras...aged-pool.html

Kbuild mentioned anywhere from $3-4 per square foot for a cage depending on how desperate the company is.

If that's the case, we reallllly paid too much for ours in 2007... but it's gorgeous and pretty much the centerpiece of the house, so can't complain. (L section home with sliders looking onto the deck from livingroom/kitchen, family room and master bed)

HHH

Old 02-20-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHelmhazzard View Post
There is another recent thread on this you might want to search for.

Absolute Aluminum and Bishop's Aluminum both build cages locally.

We used Absolute for ours, they did a great job and were the best price out of 3 quotes.

Current building codes require a little higher engineering to withstand wind loads than in the past, so be careful going independent unless they do permitting and everything by the book. Savings Now = Really Expensive Giant Kite during the next tropical storm.

HHH
(Respectfully brevity snipped)

Ahh, gotcha. I'm keeping those names. It will probably be the first thing we'll do to the house we find there. It seems most with no deed restricting don't come with lanais because they're older homes. We don't want any part of a gated community. It wouldn't fit our lifestyle.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:09 PM

Default would love to see pic of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHelmhazzard View Post
Here's the other thread on cages:
//www.city-data.com/forum/saras...aged-pool.html

Kbuild mentioned anywhere from $3-4 per square foot for a cage depending on how desperate the company is.

If that's the case, we reallllly paid too much for ours in 2007... but it's gorgeous and pretty much the centerpiece of the house, so can't complain. (L section home with sliders looking onto the deck from livingroom/kitchen, family room and master bed)

HHH
I would love to see a pic of your lanai. I've been wearing out the real estate sites online but have seen few homes outside the gated communities with them. It appears we'll have to have our own added.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:30 PM

6,103 posts, read 14,071,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I would love to see a pic of your lanai. I've been wearing out the real estate sites online but have seen few homes outside the gated communities with them. It appears we'll have to have our own added.
HHH was right, there are a lot of variables to consider in the price per square foot. My guess is that the $3-4 doesn't include foundation costs to support the frame, just the cost per square foot to attach it to an existing deck, which would normally be subcontracted to a different trade. The $ 3-4 per sqft price probably is a great number, but includes only the subcontractor that furnishes and installs the frame and the screens. Other things like the number of doors and configuration can impact the cost as well.

Good Luck! I hope you find something soon!
I once had a ^^*V*^^ logo that I used on a sports forum that I was on. I designed it to represent a flying Raven (the football team I favor).
SO . . . I like your handle.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:03 AM

325 posts, read 949,123 times
I can try to price it for you, I need a few more details, concrete with footers are about $7.00 per sq. this does not include ant prep, bushes removed, sprinklers capped, dirt brought in. The cage itself with permit, engineering, materials and labor should be around $3.50 a sq. take the length width and height of the fascia and times that by $3.50, I have built 1,000's of cages and am a General Contractor

Old 02-21-2010, 09:05 AM

15,861 posts, read 32,880,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
About what would it cost to have a cage added to a house and no pool? Say a cage of about 16X24 feet. We don't want a pool. We had one here and used it twice. We want a cage to sit outside with our cats and enjoy raising tropical plants in pots while sipping a cold beverage - bug free. Who builds them?
Do people in Florid really call those things cages? That sound horrible. I always thought they were called Lanais.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-21-2010, 09:51 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,133,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Do people in Florid really call those things cages? That sound horrible. I always thought they were called Lanais.

20yrsinBranson
I think that a lanai refers more to a covered patio that may or may not be screened.

Cage comes from bird cage, which they resemble. Most people just shorten it.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:39 AM

917 posts, read 2,439,064 times
"Pool Cage" is the term I hear most often. Never really gave it much thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area