Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:25 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,051,120 times

Advertisements

I just would like to get on the local level and see who answers this and what not. I just had a few questions about River Plantation..
Now when this community was first being built, Im thinking it was a bust.. so they had to pass it off as an up and coming place. I seen houses that have been foreclosed for months and the paint is even peeling off one of the houses mailbox. I see it as a dead zone in the future.. the feel of the area like far down by the countryside at the way end is awfully desolate.
I just think suburban life is dying out and for good reason.. and they knew it... but still wanted to act like it was still alive and that was the place to buy. I think people got duped or maybe even regretted buying there once they bought there.. Im sure some wished they went back to Bradenton.
At any rate.. just saying whats on my mind.. feel free to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:51 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,229,596 times
My husband and I loved Parrish when we first relocated to Florida..it was where we were planning on buying. We researched the areas and took many drives. We waited things out a bit just to be sure. We've been renting for a few years now, and no longer have ANY interest in Parrish. We recently drove through and realized things have changed alot. Too many foreclosures in the area I think. Im not sure why the area has gone down hill so much, but perhaps the economy caused it. People who live there are happy, but I have seen it go downhilll in the last few years and it just isnt for us..

Old 02-21-2010, 12:09 PM

164 posts, read 353,672 times
Oobie 119:

I was very disheartened to read your post. You were so enthusiastic about Parrish in previous postings that now I am worried! My husband and I are in the planning stages of moving and are considering the Twin Rivers development in Parrish (by Rye and Golf Course Roads). I know there are alot of houses for sale in the area, but isn't that true everywhere right now?

Since, obviously, building expansion cannot go west, wouldn't you think that east of I-75 will grow in the next few years? Parrish is centrally located to either Sarasota or Tampa for work, shopping, etc. so won't that be a draw for people?

I think they overbuilt in too short of a time and the area is now paying the price. The sales person at Twin Rivers told us that when they opened up 30 lots for sale (before the bust) 600 people showed up and, although they tried to screen them as far as their plans to live there or build and flip, they could not control it. I am hoping that now the craziness is over, the area will draw people who appreciate the larger home lots and the conservation areas, ponds, birds and wildlife (well, most of it!) that the Parrish area has to offer. But I also do not want to make a big mistake.

Any more thoughts that you all have about the future of Parrish will be appreciated.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:02 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,616,733 times
IN the boom there was no land around so they went out into trhe boonies Parrish wheer land was cheap, and they sold them at a premium OVERPRICED .
Now there are a glut of homes for sale and prices are goind down fast an dno one wants to be there.
Keep away from that area if you can afford elswehere!

Old 02-21-2010, 04:35 PM

164 posts, read 353,672 times
One of the main reasons we were looking in that area is that my husband wants a separate workshop/garage and that is hard to find. Twin Rivers has very nice homes on one-half or more acres and they allow outbuildings as long as they match the architecture of the home.

Personally I would like to be in or near Sarasota. Do any of you have any suggestions as to where else we can look? We combed the area pretty well and did not have any luck.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:20 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,781,412 times
Most of the homes in Twin Rivers are priced in the $300K+ range. You might want to check out North Port Estates in southern Sarasota county. You could get a pretty nice home out there for that price. All the homes in the Estates are on 3+ acres.

There are currently 13 homes in Sarasota county under $350K with an outbuilding or workshop on at least two lots or more. They are located on Fruitville, Englewood Gardens, South Venice, Angus Acres, Forest Lakes, North Port Estates, off Proctor Rd, North Port, Gulf Coast Groves & Oak Ford.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 02-21-2010 at 05:29 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
IN the boom there was no land around so they went out into trhe boonies Parrish wheer land was cheap, and they sold them at a premium OVERPRICED .
Now there are a glut of homes for sale and prices are goind down fast an dno one wants to be there.
Keep away from that area if you can afford elswehere!

This makes total sense. I knew something was wrong with the situation. I didnt buy in Parrish.. but my parents did. I plan to lease ASAP because theres no social scene for someone in their 20s. I belong in St Pete/Tampa. I also find people dont even know who their neighbors are either and thats not always a good thing. Its so distant emotionally and so distant from any cities to me. It might be centrally located to things, but I think its a bit distal unless you dont mind Bradenton being the nearest place to you I guess. I definitely prefer an immediate St pete suburb like Largo or something. Hell even Nokomis is an upgrade since its sorta near Gulf Gate.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Ohio View Post
One of the main reasons we were looking in that area is that my husband wants a separate workshop/garage and that is hard to find. Twin Rivers has very nice homes on one-half or more acres and they allow outbuildings as long as they match the architecture of the home.

Personally I would like to be in or near Sarasota. Do any of you have any suggestions as to where else we can look? We combed the area pretty well and did not have any luck.
Yea if you want more house for your money, its the only reason some people would move out to Parrish. I found that doesnt always equal quality of life though. Just the illusion of it. I think getting a feel for how the people are is a big thing as well and I feel no connection with the people here at all. I can firmly say that I can go by my situation and say that it will be similar for others unless they just hate being near the city and arent young in their hearts or dont wanna connect with humanity and seeing the real life **** that most in the urban areas do. Tis why I prefer seeing places with upfront up close and person homelessness over dead as hell subdivisions even on the busiest days of the week. They might ask me for change a lot.. but at least somethings always going on in places like that (ie Portland). If Im looking to leave Parrish and never looking back after, then all I have to say is you could be in this boat even if you choose to come vs me who didnt.
You want close to Sarasota.. well out that way... I say look at Nokomis if you want a quiet town right near Sarasota. Venice might be too old and Englewood/Punta Gorda to me seems = to Parrish/Ellenton as far as quality of life goes so I'd definitely avoid those.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:59 PM

23 posts, read 58,210 times
parrish is NOT a big city. 10 years ago it was all cows fields and mini farms. they now have a bunch of master planned communities. i have co-workers who live in copperstone wich is on moccosin wallow road 3.5 miles east of the interstate wich gives it an easy drive to tampa, st.pete or sarasota. i have been looking in there myself as of late. now i live in st.pete and ive been here 30+ years. parrish has no night life. its a 5-10 mile drive to the grocery stores or walmarts or what not, but its only 5-10 minutes because there is very little traffic in the country.

it DOES have a lot of foreclosures, BUT....BUT....what city in USA does not? there are a lot of haters on this board that try to make parrish sound like a crappy place to live because of that. all that means is you can get cheaper houses now. they are just pissed cause they paid too much in 2004. anyways.

if you want a quiet place to live where you drive past horses and cows instead of crack houses and gangs on the corners, then parrish is for you.

its the ability to live" in the country" while only being 10 mins to super walmart or whatnot. some people like this, while others do not. its not BACKWARDS REDNECK VILLE with nothing but dirt roads. sure , they may have that in the older parts, but there is soo much more now than there was 5 years ago.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:29 PM

275 posts, read 711,102 times
Miketblack, thank you for the positive feedback.

I like it for just the reasons you state, but then I was happy living on the outskirts of Breaux Bridge, Louisiana (fifteen minutes from Lafayette).

Now if we can just work up a little enthusiasm in Sue in Ohio, I'll be all set...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area