Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:00 PM

28 posts, read 53,827 times

Advertisements

I rented for 4 months in Florida. I came from Michigan in December. My 4 month lease is up in March. However I have already purchased a place in north North Port toward Venice. I have been very impressed with the area from Sarasota/Bradenton down to Port Charlotte. People are friendly, lots to do all the time. Have to schedule my time carefully. The weather of course has been cooler than normal but its ok with me. At the moment I feel no desire to return to Michigan although I have to at some point to sell stuff at least and pick up stuff.

I'm sure there are some bad spots but I have had only good experiences and hope to contribute some of my talents to the area by volunteering. Possibly a part time job although I do have a pension. I have not been thru a hot summer yet but I like the heat so don't think there will be a problem and things will be less crowded.

I advise anyone to come here, I am in better health and have lost 12 pounds to reach my ideal wieght. Now if you need a full time job thats different you may want to arrange that first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
That is awesome! I moved here two years ago, and I love it! This year has been cold by most local standards, but its still nice for me, having lived many years in the North East, and Mid Atlantic. The summers here are hot! No question about it, stiffling for many people, but I am also used to many summer days in the high 90s and humidity in the high 90s as well, so I know what to expect, and don't mind it a bit. I can see how some can be crushed by it, but I do just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5858 View Post
I rented for 4 months in Florida. I came from Michigan in December. My 4 month lease is up in March. However I have already purchased a place in north North Port toward Venice. I have been very impressed with the area from Sarasota/Bradenton down to Port Charlotte. People are friendly, lots to do all the time. Have to schedule my time carefully. The weather of course has been cooler than normal but its ok with me. At the moment I feel no desire to return to Michigan although I have to at some point to sell stuff at least and pick up stuff.

I'm sure there are some bad spots but I have had only good experiences and hope to contribute some of my talents to the area by volunteering. Possibly a part time job although I do have a pension. I have not been thru a hot summer yet but I like the heat so don't think there will be a problem and things will be less crowded.

I advise anyone to come here, I am in better health and have lost 12 pounds to reach my ideal wieght. Now if you need a full time job thats different you may want to arrange that first.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 PM

59 posts, read 144,948 times
Thing of it is with the heat, it's not uncommon for it to be hotter here in Chicago in the summer than it is there! Moving is a win win, and with all the issues that Michigan has today, you're definitely in a better place!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:29 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
I find that the Florida summers are no worse than Cincinnati summers. It's really quite interesting because all of the other seasons in Florida are so much nicer, but summer is about the same.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:58 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,281 times
Have any of you folks who don't think summer gets too bad here actually experienced our six months (or more) of "Summer"?

Just wondering.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:32 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
I have spent a few summers here. I really enjoy it. If you get to the water or the beach it gets cooler too. And, it is really not that hard to get out of the heat these days if you want to - everyplace is air conditioned, the stores, the office, the car, the house, and if you need it or want it. I keep my lanai open most of the time, and the air off. If You're out on the water kayaking, canoeing or boating its always 10-15 degrees cooler. In the evening when the sun goes down, it is fantastic, there are a lot of wonderful places that you can have a drink outside or even eat outside.

Although, its not for everyone - there are plenty of people that don't like it, but that's what makes the world go round. Everyone doesn't like everything, and no one expects that.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
Congrats Mike- you have truly walked the walk............

Old 02-26-2010, 04:39 PM

25 posts, read 74,648 times
Mike, what made you pick North Port? It has great bargains there right now. There are homes that were new construction and the builders went under that are now being sold very cheap. Do you see a lot of that in North Port? How far away is the beach? Thanks, deedee3003

Old 02-26-2010, 04:57 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
I live in North Port as well. It's a nice, clean little town and you're right there are some real bargains right now here. The Sarasota county school system is great and the town is doing a lot to spruce it up. They have repaved many of the roads and are putting in some really nice trees along the roadways. Many of the homes in town are newer as well as most of the commercial property. I enjoy living here

Old 02-26-2010, 05:17 PM

93 posts, read 150,320 times
Went to see north port the last time we were in venice.
I was really surprised how nice the city is, i would move there no questiones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area