Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:22 AM

59 posts, read 144,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
All the things you're tired of and you want to move to FL, lol? Where do you think all those folks in NY that you described move to when they run from the law? Anyhow, I would recommend Sarasota to you.
They move to Boca with their mother, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 08:31 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
[quote=kikimiller;13089660]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW YORK MIKEY View Post
Hello everyone.My name is mike and i am new to this forum.As you may no I to would like to relocate to florida for several reasons.
1- New york politicians are destroying us up here with there legal extortion of are hard earned money we work for,And the new york taxes will steal all your money you have earned.
2- winters are very rough up here.
3- crack heads,dope fiends,hookers,gun fire and alot of illegals among us,NOT TO MENTION CROOKS,CRIMINALS AND CON'S..New york (the whole city and state) is not the NY i new and loved for so very long..
4-Traffic is a nightmare and roads have gone to hell.But dont worry,NY will continue to raise the fees for thruway and bridges.
5-Not a very safe place to live anymore.It seems you can't even trust your neighbors anymore.

Last but not least,all the jobs have went south then to mexico.It is killing alot of good people to be able to function up here and live the way we used to live..

My question is this...........

The most important issue for me is SAFTY.When i do come down i am looking for a SAFE place to rent for a while until i truly no i like florida and wanna stay for the long term.I would like to stay no further then port charlotte and south of tampa.
I may be dreaming.But i am looking for a safe,violent free,drug free place to hang my hat and enjoy my surroundings.My price range would be 500-700 monthly.Safty is my goal and price also.Does such a place exsist?

Last,i wonder whats better to rent? a condo,duplex or apt..

Thank you all for you help and i am sure i will be asking more questions..mike[/quote

We have more than our share of your #3 problem..and the price range your looking to pay for rent...will put you right in the middle of it all....
OMG, too funny...it used to be #3...now I'd say it's all just about the pills.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:41 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Where do you think all those folks in NY that you described move to when they run from the law?
I hear they love Orlando...and after that, North Carolina!!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:07 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
ROFLMAO! Good one! ^^^

Old 03-05-2010, 07:10 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythykins View Post
They move to Boca with their mother, of course.

They're all over now, not just SE FL.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:31 PM

70 posts, read 245,894 times
[quote=Ladywithafan;13150880]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikimiller View Post

OMG, too funny...it used to be #3...now I'd say it's all just about the pills.
Sad to say...we have alot of all these problems...working for the Sheriff's Office I see it every day....

Old 03-05-2010, 06:36 PM

70 posts, read 245,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythykins View Post
Not too sure on that Kiki, my dad owns a few rentals in that price range (all leased out atm, sorry) that from my visits have not been in bad areas at all. I think it's also a question of degree. I lived in NY for half my life (this is a big number at 27!) I remember some of the issues with the gangs and drugs. Living in Chicagoland is not too much better. I think what folks from SW Florida either don't know or forget about is the degree of how bad it can get. Every part of the world has bad areas, but you can do a LOT worse than SW Florida.

As an aside, Mikey, what part of New York ya from?
I lived in Sarasota from 1995 to 2000...I paid $400.00 back then for a decent little duplex, in a super crappey neighborhood.
I looked at what seems like a million different places, all were in the same price range and up..nice places, crappey locations..
I did rent a decent small house directly on Fruitville, decent house, after I painted, patched, debugged ect....$500.00..I moved to Venice in 2000.
I cant imagine finding a decent place in a safe neighborhood, for anything under $800.00 or so, but then again its been a long time since I lived in Sarasota or rented for that matter.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
They certainly love Charlotte - but I'm going to Asheville baby! They can have Charlotte. They call it mini-NYC over there now - NO THANKS!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:17 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,281 times
I think that anyone coming to SW Florida thinking that their going to get away from people involved with drug use or drug selling is in for a very rude awaking.

I've come to this conclusion after observing co-workers attitudes and behavior (and of course local news reports) since I came down here from Long Island in 1999. I've also seen tolerance for "on the job" alcohol and drug abuse here that I never saw back in New York.

I've had supervisors on high rise construction jobs here that would routinely come back from lunch obviously under the influence. These people were responsible for my safety!

Hopefully, with the slowdown in construction, employers are able to enforce their stated substance abuse policies, but in the recent past those policies didn't mean a thing. A routine pre-employment drug test would be done. Once someone was actually hired they could pretty much do as they pleased.

Smaller employers wouldn't even have a test. I've met and worked side by side with some really messed up guys that couldn't get hired by the larger companies due to the screening test. I never encountered anything like this back up North.

Just my opinion after living and working here for the last ten years and interacting with one segment of the population. I really think that there is a more casual attitude here when it comes to substance abuse.

Last edited by tommy-105; 03-06-2010 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-16-2010, 04:24 PM

306 posts, read 758,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW YORK MIKEY View Post
Hello everyone.My name is mike and i am new to this forum.As you may no I to would like to relocate to florida for several reasons.
1- New york politicians are destroying us up here with there legal extortion of are hard earned money we work for,And the new york taxes will steal all your money you have earned.
2- winters are very rough up here.
3- crack heads,dope fiends,hookers,gun fire and alot of illegals among us,NOT TO MENTION CROOKS,CRIMINALS AND CON'S..New york (the whole city and state) is not the NY i new and loved for so very long..
4-Traffic is a nightmare and roads have gone to hell.But dont worry,NY will continue to raise the fees for thruway and bridges.
5-Not a very safe place to live anymore.It seems you can't even trust your neighbors anymore.
Well, since NYC is one of very few places still HIRING teachers (the Bronx) the other one being Killadelphia, I'd gladly trade you. Most states I can't get a teaching job offer with "just" a Bachelor's in Biology (with the world crying out for Science teachers?!) because I can't get the job OFFER from the school district in the first place to "sponsor" for the state teacher license or whatever. If I can at least get HIRED as even a Sub then I could pay for all the state teacher licensing fees for whatever other states would take me. But out West there is nothing hiring at all. My only other choice is Killadelphia. $45 a day. Wow. Better than the NOTHING I have out here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area