Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:46 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
Oobie, Are you from Chicago? Or what suburb did you move from?

I didn't think you were since you mentioned Maxwell Street as a major attraction in a previous post. Maxwell Street is gone and has been for a long time. UIC took it over, and some condos were built. They have an open air market on Des Plaines Street but it's not the old market.
When I was a teenager, I went and lived for a summer with my brother who lived in Chicago. He supervised the maintenance for a really big apartment complex there. While I was there, I enjoyed it a lot. I remember the mass transit system was really pretty good. I went to China Town several times and liked it there. I remember some big arcade area. I went to Wrigley's stadium and watched a couple games, and I remember going to a few ethnic parts of town a big Polish area, German area, and Italian area. I remember eating at Uno's before it became a huge chain. It was great being a teenager and having the freedom and independence to explore such a great city on my own while my brother worked - I went everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 04:43 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
Oobie, Are you from Chicago? Or what suburb did you move from?

I didn't think you were since you mentioned Maxwell Street as a major attraction in a previous post. Maxwell Street is gone and has been for a long time. UIC took it over, and some condos were built. They have an open air market on Des Plaines Street but it's not the old market.

Yes, I actually am from Chicago. I only referred to Maxwell street because there are a few places up there that serve "italian beef"or "hot dogs" just like Maxwell street back in the day I guess. I think that was before my time, I just assumed the street was connected to the yummy food. I was born and raised on the South Side.. as was my husband. We moved to Orland Park a few years before we moved here

Old 02-28-2010, 04:45 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
When I was a teenager, I went and lived for a summer with my brother who lived in Chicago. He supervised the maintenance for a really big apartment complex there. While I was there, I enjoyed it a lot. I remember the mass transit system was really pretty good. I went to China Town several times and liked it there. I remember some big arcade area. I went to Wrigley's stadium and watched a couple games, and I remember going to a few ethnic parts of town a big Polish area, German area, and Italian area. I remember eating at Uno's before it became a huge chain. It was great being a teenager and having the freedom and independence to explore such a great city on my own while my brother worked - I went everywhere.

Ahh BH there is NOTHING like Wrigley.. even though I am a SOUTH SIDER.. Ive always been a north side CUBS fan, just for the Mere fact that Wrigley Field is the most beautiful place on the planet, next to the beach of course.. I am dying to get back there someday, and let my daughter experience a REAL ballpark!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 PM

59 posts, read 144,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Ahh BH there is NOTHING like Wrigley.. even though I am a SOUTH SIDER.. Ive always been a north side CUBS fan, just for the Mere fact that Wrigley Field is the most beautiful place on the planet, next to the beach of course.. I am dying to get back there someday, and let my daughter experience a REAL ballpark!
Yes yes, Wrigley is a baseball mecca. Like no other park in the world, let alone the country. Even for myself, a transplanted NYer and diehard Met fan, I love going every year when my beloved bums are in town, and more than a few times when they're not. It's just an experience, and only Fenway even comes close ('cept I can't stand Boston!)

Old 03-01-2010, 06:48 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,722 times
Congrates....You'll do great!! We are only about 2 1/2 hours from Wrigley field, what a great place to see a ball game!! Mr.Cool

Old 03-01-2010, 09:00 AM

209 posts, read 452,531 times
Good story -- thanks for sharing. Such a sacrifice being away from family that long! I read in your profile that you are in special ed. My wife teaches the hearing impaired in Texas.

We are going to be moving to FL full-time in June! We probably would not have found enough confidence to do this had we not found SoFlGal on this site. She was tremendously helpful. Also, so many of you other posters in here were really friendly and always very helpful. Thanks to all of you!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:25 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222muchcoffee View Post
Good story -- thanks for sharing. Such a sacrifice being away from family that long! I read in your profile that you are in special ed. My wife teaches the hearing impaired in Texas.

We are going to be moving to FL full-time in June! We probably would not have found enough confidence to do this had we not found SoFlGal on this site. She was tremendously helpful. Also, so many of you other posters in here were really friendly and always very helpful. Thanks to all of you!
I'm looking forward to you coming, and finally meeting the guy that came up with my favorite name here so far - 222muchcoffee! Oobie has helped out a lot of poster that have needed information concerning their kids (some of which have special needs.) My nephew is one, and is now in a mainstream classroom setting in WNY, and is doing very well.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:10 PM

209 posts, read 452,531 times
Funny -- fave name... looking forward to meeting you too.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:07 PM

301 posts, read 1,153,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I hope you all have a safe flight! If you are able DM me when you get down. Where (town) are you buying? Maybe we could grab a beer while your here? I may call my friend beachbum (who probably thinks I've forgotten about him), or jevlte to join us.
You know we're in!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area