Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:20 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times

Advertisements

My parents and siblings always had the pipe dream of moving to Florida someday.We all dreaded the Chicago weather. However, it seemed just that: A dream. One day, it became a possiblity..I was a stay at home mom with my newborn, and thought hmmm.. lets just see what kinds of jobs are out there in Florida, who knows maybe we can move there? Sure enough, my googling turned into an obsession and consumed me. I discussed the idea with the hubby and he was on board. It was scary to think about leaving my family..I spent literally 10-12 hours a day filling out online applications, sending resumes and making out of state phone calls, sometimes calling the same people 3x a week just to TRY for interviews for either myself or my husband. During this time, my niece had just graduated college, and was the first to land in Florida. At 22 she moved here, alone with just a handful of cash.
I landed quite a few interviews and was thrilled.. 7 interviews actually in two days! I crashed with my niece and managed to find my way to each job site (arriving at a few nearly an hour late due to getting lost in this strange town) I landed a teaching job. I was to remain in Florida while my husband stayed back with our daughter, and sold our home and continued to look for work. We lived like that for almost 5 months. At times it was unbearable, can you imagine being away from your newborn for that long??. I left my family, and my baby girl at 5 months.I bawled uncontrollably saying my goodbyes. The next time I saw her, she was nearly 10 months old. (My husband and I saw each other once a month, but left Teagan with my sister and her family, we felt it was important to have quality time, and at my nieces, there was hardly room for us in her apt). My sister sent loads of pictures every week and we talked daily. My husband sold our house right before the market crashed, and landed a great job...and here we are 4 years later!! My parents quickly relocated down the street, and now, my sister lives here in Sarasota as well! YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 12:42 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
congratulations for living your dream. another who walks the walk.....

Old 02-27-2010, 12:43 PM

59 posts, read 164,524 times
I agree. If you can accept the sacrifices relocating can require, you can succeed in moving to this little piece of paradise. Me and my wife moved down last August and could not be happier.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:14 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
It looks like you did the homework to make it a successful move. Your very lucky to have family members who actually wanted to move here. It's nice to have family around.I also agree with the last sentance of your post.You have to want it bad enough to make some sacrifices.No place is perfect.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:55 PM

275 posts, read 714,985 times
Just like dropping a cat; you landed on your feet!

We're working on it

Old 02-27-2010, 02:08 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,981,062 times
Default Jobs? Not us!

Fortunately for us we're retired. Jobs are not an issue. We should be living in Sarasota (or maybe Bradenton) before next winter.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:46 PM

455 posts, read 978,567 times
[quote=Oobie119;13082188] My husband sold our house right before the market crashed, and landed a great job...and here we are 4 years later!! /quote]

The most telling sentence in the whole post. It's a totally different world here now. Many CAN'T do it, no matter how badly they want it.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:24 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
My parents and siblings always had the pipe dream of moving to Florida someday.We all dreaded the Chicago weather. However, it seemed just that: A dream. One day, it became a possiblity..I was a stay at home mom with my newborn, and thought hmmm.. lets just see what kinds of jobs are out there in Florida, who knows maybe we can move there? Sure enough, my googling turned into an obsession and consumed me. I discussed the idea with the hubby and he was on board. It was scary to think about leaving my family..I spent literally 10-12 hours a day filling out online applications, sending resumes and making out of state phone calls, sometimes calling the same people 3x a week just to TRY for interviews for either myself or my husband. During this time, my niece had just graduated college, and was the first to land in Florida. At 22 she moved here, alone with just a handful of cash.
I landed quite a few interviews and was thrilled.. 7 interviews actually in two days! I crashed with my niece and managed to find my way to each job site (arriving at a few nearly an hour late due to getting lost in this strange town) I landed a teaching job. I was to remain in Florida while my husband stayed back with our daughter, and sold our home and continued to look for work. We lived like that for almost 5 months. At times it was unbearable, can you imagine being away from your newborn for that long??. I left my family, and my baby girl at 5 months.I bawled uncontrollably saying my goodbyes. The next time I saw her, she was nearly 10 months old. (My husband and I saw each other once a month, but left Teagan with my sister and her family, we felt it was important to have quality time, and at my nieces, there was hardly room for us in her apt). My sister sent loads of pictures every week and we talked daily. My husband sold our house right before the market crashed, and landed a great job...and here we are 4 years later!! My parents quickly relocated down the street, and now, my sister lives here in Sarasota as well! YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH!!
Oobie,
That is such a cool story! I didn't know you went through such a difficult struggle in moving here. I knew you have worked really hard to build your life here - that is very moving!!!

And, if you can do that, I know others can too. Hedzup just moved here late last year, and everything has worked out for them as well. It takes a lot of internal strength to make the move, and have the determination to see it through. You have my respect and admiration! You've got a great family as well. It shows the love and support you guys have for each other!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
Thanks guys, I think maybe I came off to some as being boastful. I really wasn't trying to; those that "know" me probably realize that. I thought I would share my story because so often, people view dreams as just that, only dreams. They are never even acknowledged as options or possibilities. Many people need to investigate their dreams more.They may realize they are POSSIBILTIES, and with enough determination, and hardwork, their dreams can become reality..

AND with that.. people need to realize a "realistic" dream.. "living the dream" IMO means, desiring what you have, and not what you don't have. Thus, I know going into my "dream" that it's not going to be perfect, it's not all rainbows and sunshine. There arent enough people who desire realistic dreams, the expectations are unrealistic and rare so they are usually disappointed..How many people have we heard of that relocated to Florida and regretted it thinking it would make all their problems disappear?-- Getting off topic, sorry if I rambled. Point made : )

Old 02-28-2010, 04:05 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
I loved your story Oobie! I can't imagine how hard it must have been to leave your 5 mos old baby behind, I too would have cried many a nights.

No life is perfect, most people aren't willing to walk the walk or have the inner strength to do what you and your family did to get here. The hard sacrifices that you and your family made paid off, glad you're here and an inspiration to those who really want it CAN make it happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area