Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:00 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAC View Post
Is it possible to determine if your child qualifies for acceptance into Pineview before you establish residency in Sarasota?
Yeah it sure is. If you'd like to DM me I can give you more info on Pineview, etc. I have two kids that attend and my little one has been tested and will be going when she reaches 2nd grade.

I was speaking with a Sarasota county teacher yesterday and he said that there are 55,000 people employed by the Sarasota county school system. Last time this issue came up on the ballot there were 40,000 votes. It passed by a landslide. You can bet that all the employees of the school system will be out voting. The schools themselves are doing a great job of getting the word out. I know I will be volunteering on Monday calling parents in our local schools to get out and vote. I would be very surprised if this does not pass but we shall see...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
how many registered voters in Sarasota county--that is the limit for voters--not that there will ever be 100% turnout...
259.486--registered voters in Sarasota county--
so 55K for the employees of the district makes about 20%--
that is not an overwhelming margin IMO--while I certainly hope the vote is for the tax continuing--I think this time around there is much more animosity against it for a variety of reasons...

Old 03-08-2010, 09:59 AM

166 posts, read 603,982 times
There is not 55,000 people employed by the school system. More like 5,000

http://www.edcsarasotacounty.com/doc...ityprofile.pdf

Old 03-08-2010, 11:20 AM

917 posts, read 2,614,660 times
I sure hope they don't have a staff of 55,000 for 40,000 students.

Quote:
School facilities include 22 elementary schools, 12 secondary schools, an exceptional student center, a school for gifted students, and a center for vocational-technical-adult education. The instructional staff consists of approximately 3100 professionals and 2350 classified staff for over 40,000 students. Sarasota County Schools Human Resources

Old 03-08-2010, 11:39 AM

879 posts, read 1,952,913 times
glad this thread got revived. Thanks SoFLCal for taking your time to talk to me and giving me a great inside perspective on the school.

I wish i had started this process 6 months ago! it's SOOOO hard getting everything done last minute like this!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Yeah it sure is. If you'd like to DM me I can give you more info on Pineview, etc. I have two kids that attend and my little one has been tested and will be going when she reaches 2nd grade.

I was speaking with a Sarasota county teacher yesterday and he said that there are 55,000 people employed by the Sarasota county school system. Last time this issue came up on the ballot there were 40,000 votes. It passed by a landslide. You can bet that all the employees of the school system will be out voting. The schools themselves are doing a great job of getting the word out. I know I will be volunteering on Monday calling parents in our local schools to get out and vote. I would be very surprised if this does not pass but we shall see...
Oppss. Don't know what I was thinking. 5,500 and 4,000 is more like it Then you have all the parents in the the schools. But like loves2read said theres a lot of people who are against it. So, we shall see. I think it will pass.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:24 PM

59 posts, read 144,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
how many registered voters in Sarasota county--that is the limit for voters--not that there will ever be 100% turnout...
259.486--registered voters in Sarasota county--
so 55K for the employees of the district makes about 20%--
that is not an overwhelming margin IMO--while I certainly hope the vote is for the tax continuing--I think this time around there is much more animosity against it for a variety of reasons...
In the election of 2008, historic turnout of 208,005 voted in the presidential election. I recall this working against my father who was running at the time (not gonna mention which office, but cupie doll to whoever guesses :-p)

As SoFlGal and pointed out, of the registered voters in Sarasota County only about 5500 turned out for a previous referendum. This is somewhat typical nationwide, and just shows the apathy that the American public actually shows for its privilege to vote. Most will vote for Presidents, many will vote for Senators and House Members, a lot will vote for Governors, and then local officials kinda trickle down. Special votes and referendums typically get the lowest turnouts even though these ballots are the most likely to actually affect your every day life. We had an election for mayor a couple years back in our town in Illinois of 76000 (couldn't get the registered voters number on short notice,) 5000 people voted for mayor. Seriously.

The fact that voters are vocal with their complaint but silent with their ballots is beneficial to those most impacted by this -- the teachers and the students. I've said it before in this very thread:
Quote:
Reminder to those who are retiring or will be retired in the next 10-20 years: the kids who you cut taxes on today are reaching their peak earning years exactly when they will be funding your Social Security!!!! Having an amazing school system will keep a community thriving, and will convince more medical professionals, financial advisers, and entrepreneurs to come to the area. These are the people that will be providing services to you in your retirement.
It's in everyone's best interest to put education first. I'm not currently a parent. I do plan to be one in the next few years. Were I registered in Sarasota, I'd be voting YES. Then again, this method may be effective in luring those difficult converts...

Obviously credit to failblog on this one.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
my bad--did not even stop to think the 55K might have been miscue--

Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
Default how can we determine if our child would be accepted into pineview without being a resident?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post

someone asked if there was a way to determine if their child would be accepted into pineview without residence in Sarasota.. how can this be done? thanks!

Old 07-22-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdanp View Post
someone asked if there was a way to determine if their child would be accepted into pineview without residence in Sarasota.. how can this be done? thanks!
You can go through the testing for free at your distracted school. If your child qualifies and you want them to attend, you can move. PV is closed for this year for new students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area