Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:44 PM

4,892 posts, read 14,080,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1077 View Post
Sarasota rarely gets in the high 90's or even the mid 90's and if you are near the Gulf there is usually a nice breeze. Freezing in winter? Don't worry about that unless you have a Mexican Hairless who hasn't eaten in a week. However, it does get hot and humid in the summer months(June-Sept.) and a dog should have shade and plenty of water. A buddy of mine has a big tub that his 70 lb. lab can cool off in if it gets too hot. That wouldn't cost too much or you could just get a kiddie pool and keep it full. Dogs aren't stupid. They know how to keep cool if given the proper place.
Sarasota rarely gets in the high 90's or even mid 90's??? Are you kidding me? Do you live here? That is so not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:29 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,888,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggerriggs View Post
My family and I are moving to Sarasota in July. We have 2 dogs. One is a Basset and the other is a Aust. Shep. Is it safe to have them outside down there or should I try to find them a home before our move? Thanks is advance!

between june & october it would be a bad idea.....
besides, don't you love them and treat them like they are your kids....
would you leave your kids outside....??

Old 05-01-2010, 10:03 AM

24 posts, read 72,457 times
Right on Debvic...why have dogs if all you are going to do is keep them outside. They are "pack" animals..it is extremely cruel to have dogs live outside.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:02 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,326,901 times
I can barely believe some of what I am reading here.

Is there a Sarasota other than this one? Because whoever said it "rarely" gets into the mid or high 90's must be living in Sarasota, Oregon or somewhere. Yeesh.

As for leaving your trusted family member outside in the heat and humidity all day, I cannot imagine even considering it. Especially a trusted family member with NO SWEAT GLANDS.

I'm glad nobody has ever forced me to wear a fur coat and sit in the dirt in the middle of a Florida summer.

Of course, I am getting married soon, so there's always time for all manner of torture, I guess.

Last edited by Rushmore; 05-01-2010 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Typo.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:16 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,017,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I can barely believe some of what I am reading here.

Is there a Sarasota other than this one? Because whoever said it "rarely" gets into the mid or high 90's must be living in Sarasota, Oregon or somewhere. Yeesh.

As for leaving your trusted family member outside in the heat and humidity all day, I cannot imagine even considering it. Especially a trusted family member with NO SWEAT GLANDS.

I'm glad nobody has ever forced me to wear a fur coat and sit in the dirt in the middle of a Florida summer.

Of course, I am getting married soon, so there's always time for all manner of torture, I guess.
Dogs are very forgiving, let them in, give them a little food, some water, pet them, maybe a little hug. I'm sure your guests will be for giving too, if you do the same for them, and serve Yeungling on Tap! And, . . . don't forget my hug!

Old 05-02-2010, 09:40 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,093,156 times
I see a lot of people who aren't originally from Florida giving typical knee jerk reaction answers.

My answer is YES, dogs can and do live outside in Florida. I am from South Florida, Miami to be exact. In my neighborhood, every other house has an outside dog in the yard. Many are unfortunately pitbulls and rotties. Many people have them as deterrents for theft as opposed to a loving companion. But that is a topic for another thread.

First off, go to Animal Control in any Florida county. Those facilities are "open air". That means they are not air conditioned, they have ventilation, they stay dry when it rains and they provide shade and water. The dogs do perfectly well in these facilities. If you can offer those conditions in an outside environment, a dog can survive here...and of course love, attention, walks and daily excercise.

I adopted a Labrador Retriever from Animal Control in Medley (Miami) from a facility identical as the one I just described. She is an outdoor dog in the sense that she spends the time I am not at home out in the yard. She does fine. She is afraid of thunderstorms, but she has a place to "hide" and stay dry when it storms. I walk her twice a day, she doesn't even go to the bathroom in the yard. I play with her, run, she is socialable...and the heat is more of a problem if I give her a third midday walk...because then, cooling down is tough. But a normal South Florida outdoor dog sleeps in the day and wants to be active early in the AM and late in the PM.

If your dog is outdoors, you need to give it plenty of love and attention in addition to the other necessities. My neighbors behind me have a lab who is outdoors all day with another smaller dog and they bark all the time. The heat isn't the problem, it is the uncaring and unaffectionate owners who are too lazy to care for their dogs other than feeding them.

I am an outdoors person...so I am usually in the yard in my free time anyways. Oh, and just to mention, my house doesn't have AC and I think it would be crueler to leave an animal in a confined, non-climatized house...as opposed to an open yard.

When I am home I open the windows, use fans...have shade trees and plants to protect the walls from getting too hot....and that helps keep the yard and house cooler. Try walking on a gold course at mid day...and then walk under a Banyan tree and you will feel a 10 degree difference. That is how my yard is.

In essence, before AC was commonplace in the 50s or 60s??, people had dogs here. Dogs exist in Mexico, Cuba, wherever, even if it is hot and there is no AC available and the dogs are fine as long as people care for them.

The only thing I would warn you about is what another poster said. Bringing a dog that is not acclimated to the heat of South Florida would be cruel. It would be a shock to the system for sure and I wouldn't recommend that at all.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 16,118 times
If you are going to make them live outside, be a nicer owner and find them a home indoors... It is extremely too HOT for them especially for an Australian Shepard. During the summer, the humidty gets in the 90's, as well as the temperature, even the 100's.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:57 AM

216 posts, read 560,621 times
Renting with dogs living inside IS possible, but it takes being a responsible dog owner. Get your dogs in a routine of being fed and going outside to do their business at about the same time every day so they get on a regular bathroom schedule. Secondly, if they are not being used to being inside or have the potential to chew, get large crates where you can leave them while you are away (leave Nylabones in the crate with them and Kong toys filled with peanut butter to keep them busy) to keep them safe and get them used to being inside. You can also use baby gates or an x-pen (its round pen that consists of 8 or more panels) to keep them confined which are just as effective and may be more calming to a dog that is not used to being crated (and even with a crate you follow instructions on getting them used to it- don't just put them in it and leave them there for hours - you set it up and leave the door open and allow them to go in and out of it at leisure at first, and encourage each one to go into their own crate by placing treats in it and kong toy, etc). Please remember that there are thousands of dogs put to sleep every day that are dropped off at shelters, and the problem is even worse with people losing their jobs, homes, etc. Dogs are not disposable, and when we take on the honor of dog ownership, we owe it to them to be their forever home. I have rented with 5 indoor very large breed dogs - it is possible.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:53 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,823,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggerriggs View Post
Ok!!!! I get it. No outside dogs in Florida. I have spoke to my brother and sis in law, they are taking my babies and will continue to give them a loving home!!!
Thank you! Very good decision. I hope you have a wonderful time in Florida.

To those who wrote that dogs can be kept outside all the time and don't suffer, people also survive in the heat, cold & rain all over the country, not just in Florida. It doesn't mean they're happy to sleep outside, just that they're able to tolerate their unfortunate living conditions. People and pets desire a comfortable bed and, most of the time, human companionship.

Anyway, dogs are people too. They just have a little more fur than most of us.
http://bestsmileys.com/dogs/4.gif (broken link)

Old 05-10-2010, 01:49 PM

88 posts, read 335,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I see a lot of people who aren't originally from Florida giving typical knee jerk reaction answers.

My answer is YES, dogs can and do live outside in Florida. I am from South Florida, Miami to be exact. In my neighborhood, every other house has an outside dog in the yard. Many are unfortunately pitbulls and rotties. Many people have them as deterrents for theft as opposed to a loving companion. But that is a topic for another thread.

First off, go to Animal Control in any Florida county. Those facilities are "open air". That means they are not air conditioned, they have ventilation, they stay dry when it rains and they provide shade and water. The dogs do perfectly well in these facilities. If you can offer those conditions in an outside environment, a dog can survive here...and of course love, attention, walks and daily excercise.

I adopted a Labrador Retriever from Animal Control in Medley (Miami) from a facility identical as the one I just described. She is an outdoor dog in the sense that she spends the time I am not at home out in the yard. She does fine. She is afraid of thunderstorms, but she has a place to "hide" and stay dry when it storms. I walk her twice a day, she doesn't even go to the bathroom in the yard. I play with her, run, she is socialable...and the heat is more of a problem if I give her a third midday walk...because then, cooling down is tough. But a normal South Florida outdoor dog sleeps in the day and wants to be active early in the AM and late in the PM.

If your dog is outdoors, you need to give it plenty of love and attention in addition to the other necessities. My neighbors behind me have a lab who is outdoors all day with another smaller dog and they bark all the time. The heat isn't the problem, it is the uncaring and unaffectionate owners who are too lazy to care for their dogs other than feeding them.

I am an outdoors person...so I am usually in the yard in my free time anyways. Oh, and just to mention, my house doesn't have AC and I think it would be crueler to leave an animal in a confined, non-climatized house...as opposed to an open yard.

When I am home I open the windows, use fans...have shade trees and plants to protect the walls from getting too hot....and that helps keep the yard and house cooler. Try walking on a gold course at mid day...and then walk under a Banyan tree and you will feel a 10 degree difference. That is how my yard is.

In essence, before AC was commonplace in the 50s or 60s??, people had dogs here. Dogs exist in Mexico, Cuba, wherever, even if it is hot and there is no AC available and the dogs are fine as long as people care for them.

The only thing I would warn you about is what another poster said. Bringing a dog that is not acclimated to the heat of South Florida would be cruel. It would be a shock to the system for sure and I wouldn't recommend that at all.
I agree with all of your points. We also have both indoor and outdoor doggies and everybody is just fine. Our outdoor doggy has a huge doghouse (the igloo ones are great for temp control. ours has a pet barn which is also good) Plenty of water and shade trees must be available! If there is no shade then no I definitely would not recommend. Also the Australian Shepherd would need a very short haircut! We let our outdoor pup in when we are gone for more than a few hours during the day because there are pitbulls living next door. We have a 6 foot fence and the neighbors have a fence too but you can't be too careful. I'd hate to see you rehome your dogs just because you are moving. It is possible to find a flexible landlord. Your pups love you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area