Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:15 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelagardner View Post
We are looking anywhere from Sarasota to Port Charlotte...it's all so nice in that area. I did love the small town feel of Venice but most of the houses are outdated for my taste. North Port seems to be good as far as prices go but I am concerned about the drive to work if I have to travel to Sarasota or Bradenton...I am used to a 10 minute drive at the most and hate long distance driving-maybe I am just spoiled.
I've commuted on I-75 from Punta Gorda to both Sarasota and Naples. The early morning trip in was usually ok, but it wasn't unusual for the drive home to take much longer due to accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 11:17 AM

151 posts, read 559,408 times
Big House--thanks for the information. I have read a lot of remarks about the "ferry" to the beach in the Venice region and wondered what that meant. If we don't live too far from the beach we may just ride our bicycles to get the exercise, which is something that is limited up here due to the crappy weather and the cold wind.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:18 AM

Tommy--when you say the drive in wasn't bad what do you mean? Quick moving? It is still quite a distance isn't it? I have heard 45 minutes. That sounds like torture to me.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:40 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,868 times
Quote:
I have read a lot of remarks about the "ferry" to the beach in the Venice region and wondered what that meant.
I think that's for the residents of South Venice. I think they also have a boat dock.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:52 PM

917 posts, read 2,615,082 times
Quote:
Tommy--when you say the drive in wasn't bad what do you mean? Quick moving? It is still quite a distance isn't it? I have heard 45 minutes. That sounds like torture to me.
My office was in Naples. So that was my main commute. I would usually leave Punta Gorda at 5:30 and get there by 6:30. (My day started at 7:00) A good part of the drive was 75 mph until traffic got heaver.

When I had to go up to Sarasota, my destination was usually beyond downtown and my drive time going in was still about an hour. The early morning traffic always moved along pretty fast and I think 45 minutes from North Port to downtown Sarasota in the morning sounds about right.

Here's the thing. When I was down in Naples I usually had to fight traffic at the end of the day just to get on to I-75, then hopefully the drive would be smooth, but when I got off in Fort Myers I still had to travel all the way over to Cape Coral in heavy traffic. It was a royal pain in the butt. By moving to Punta Gorda I actually got closer to I-75 and eliminated half of that cross town traffic.

Up in Sarasota, leaving Long Boat key and driving across town to get on I-75 at 3:30 in the afternoon could eat up 30 minutes easily. I would say that it usually took me an hour and a half to get home to Punta Gorda, if there weren't any accidents, or heavy afternoon thunder storms.

I think if you're considering a long commute, at least try to live very close to the interstate. The cross town traffic gets real tiring after a while. As long as traffic is moving and your radio works, an hour spent on the interstate goes by pretty quick.

Before I started driving to Naples, I worked and lived in Cape Coral. My drive time was 5 minutes door to door.
After a year of working in Naples I was earning twice as much as I was in Cape Coral, so the drive was worth it to me.

I'm pretty sure SoFLGal's husband drives from North Port to Tampa every day. That sounds like quite a drive to me.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:03 PM

36 posts, read 58,472 times
Assuming there's boat docks, what beaches do
boaters go to from. Punta gorda? and what do you like about that beach?
Thanks! I have a lot to learn.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:03 PM

Uggg...I guess I need to just face the fact that I need to establish a relationship with my car.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:15 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Angela my husband works for Tampa Bay Trane but works all over, usually from Bradenton to Punta Gorda. He spends a lot of time working at Sarasota Hospital which is about a 35 minute drive, give or take depending on traffic and time of year/day. It's a pretty easy drive generally as long as you don't get snagged up in accident traffic, like Tommy pointed out.

As far as the ferry in south Venice, that's exclusively for the residents that live in south Venice and is included in their optional HOA dues, which are very low. I think they're like $100 a year or something like that. Davery was correct on that.

Sparky-Many of the people that live in Punta Gorda boat over to Boca Grande. It's a very nice beach, pretty quite, etc. Most beaches you can just anchor right off the beach and swim over to land. There are several beaches along Boca that you could anchor off of. Just keep an eye on the undertow at the far end.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:23 AM

531 posts, read 1,161,750 times
"We have a tradition, that when we pick up in bound guests we always take them straight to the beach after they arrive. Siesta Key if they come in from Sarasota, or Sanibel if they fly into Ft. Myers airport. Starting out the trip right is always great!!"

You're RIGHT, BH, because my cousins and aunt took US right to Boca Grande!! Ohhh wow! Those tarpon were really jumping that day last June! It was FABULOUS, and the BEST thing was seeing that emerald green water as we crossed the causeway.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:26 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky002 View Post
Assuming there's boat docks, what beaches do
boaters go to from. Punta gorda? and what do you like about that beach?
Thanks! I have a lot to learn.
Lately we run from PGI to Cayo Costa. It vary's how long it takes depending upon the weather. (My boat will run 30 mph, but generally I cruise about 25 mph) On smooth days, I've run down there in 40 minutes, but depending on the chop it has taken over an hour. I have run down to Boca Grande a few times. Jvelte has made the run several times too. There are great beaches all around that are quite and accessible when you travel by boat.

The boat dock for use going to the beach is at Cayo Costa (I'm sure there are more, but I'm still learning, and it is so nice there, we haven't bothered to hunt more out yet). Often times, we just pull in to the shallow water and anchor up, then walk in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area