U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:49 AM

879 posts, read 1,871,483 times

Advertisements

Well, just when we were ready to take the leap...

I would like to know if, when and how this will effect Pine View School. Is everyone talking? What does the school say, the school board etc?

Moving down there only to have the kids blended into the FL public school system is not an option.

Here are some articles:
Florida plans controversial changes to its gifted program

Pg 3-4 of this PDF explains in details:
http://www.floridagiftednet.org/Alert_Mar26.pdf

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 09:02 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,938,434 times
Haven't heard anything about this. Give me a few to do some research and make some phone calls.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 AM

Just called the county and Liz Elliott, the person in charge of gifted education, is out on spring break until Monday. I did however make a few calls to other parents with kids in Pine View. They seemed to think that this would apply to children that did not meet the requirements of Pine View and were in the "pull out" programs at their districted school.

There was a shake up with Pine View/the State and altering the format of of the school about two years ago. Many of the parent s went to Tallahassee and spoke and they decided not to make the changes.

Looks like I can't get any definite answers until Monday but this is my thinking. If it was going to severally effect Pine View, I would have heard about it. Also there would be parents making phone calls and a lot more chatter about it. I asked my junior about it and she said she has not heard anything about it. The school has been around for 40 years, I don't think it's going anywhere or is going to be altered very much (of course this is just a guess but I'm pretty certain).

PV has tremendous community support as well as parental support. I'll do some more research on Monday and see what I can find out.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the quick info. I was going to call L. Elliott today. She has been fantastic through this whole process! Of course the awful timing is that they are on spring break and I was about to take an apt today to start establishing residency!! Now... confused, worried, frustrated.

Well, I suppose I can continue with my plans and make decisions after.

What is wrong with the education system in this country? Grrr!! It's unbelievable!!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:28 AM

36,471 posts, read 55,984,585 times
that bill would do one thing immediately

--reduce the amount of state funding going into local districts and put more of the cost of funding non-federally-mandated programs for gifted students on local tax base so it is a shifting of cost without having to be voted on by the public and would be much easier for legislators to vote on and not get whacked by their district voters because they can claim they are saving state funds--

although the reduction in funding programs in play now would have to be picked up by the districts at some point--and probably most parents of gifted students are going to seem like a niche protest group if they try to protest taking programs away from their students which are viewed by other parents at times as elitist and already catered to...

this change WOULD require new local tax incentives--not something very likely to happen across the state from what I have been reading ...

the second possible result they are considering is that by having more gifted students merged with standard classes, theoretically the avg test scores should go up--raising local schools standardized test scores and making them appear more competitive and better productive -- which would aid in meeting the NCLB standards

I understand that EVERY FL local school is supposed to have separate gifted classes now--so that Sarasota county has elementary schools with gifted students scattered around--not all gifted in Sarasota county attend Pine View...which busses students from all over the county...
so the part about not funding transportation is directly going to impact PineView immediately--

many families live an hour's drive each way and aren't likely to be able to provide transportation for their kids...
I guess the secondary school because its students have access to personal tranport more than elementary students might still be able to function but the elementary part is going to be under real pressure...

Old 03-31-2010, 09:37 AM

I can tell you that I have seen a change in the busing. I live in North Port, which is about 30 minutes from PV. They used to pick up kids at bus stops. Now we have to drive them to local elementary schools for drop off and pick up. I know the busing has been an issue for awhile and it's been very expensive for the district.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:55 PM

36,471 posts, read 55,984,585 times
has FL converted school buses to natural gas vs diesel

there should be a national mandate to do that for all commercial trucking, city buses, inter-city deliveries, school buses...
natural gas is cheap and will continue to have low prices because of availability of imports as well as US gas...it is a fairly easy conversion--even for cars...and if you have gas line at home you can install device to fill you car up overnight

Old 04-05-2010, 07:27 AM

are sarasota schools back from spring break today? I want to see if i can talk to anyone about this. SoFLGal if you find anything out please let me know asap!!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
are sarasota schools back from spring break today? I want to see if i can talk to anyone about this. SoFLGal if you find anything out please let me know asap!!
Yes, they are back this morning and I will be calling at 9am

Old 04-05-2010, 07:48 AM

OK, I spoke with Liz this morning. Here's what she said. She has received nothing from her state contacts on this matter. She thinks it's odd that FGN would have the info and she would not but she is going to give Tallahassee/FGN a call and see what she can find out. She also said, "I don't think it will effect PV but I can't say that with complete certainty".

She reminded me that a very similar ruling was on the table about 4-5 years ago and nothing ever came of it. This it was I had mentioned before, when the parents went to Tallahassee and spoke and they dropped the whole thing.

I didn't get a feeling from Liz that she was overly concerned about PV at this point. It seems as though she thought it might effect the "pull out"/part time gifted students more than the PV students.

I just got off the phone with her so I think it might be a good idea of you to contact her as well and see how you feel about it after talking to her. If one of your main reasons for coming to this area is for your children to attend PV then I would want you to feel confident in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area