Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:05 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I think they should build a bridge over Baltimore and DC so you can avoid both of them!
Big House is walking along Boca grande beach when he finds an old dirty lamp. he polishes it and out pops a genie. 'you have one wish' says the genie.
'gee' says big house 'i want a 6 lane bridge built from Baltimore to Punta gorda just for me, it must be straight and level so i can use cruise control all the way and not have to hold the wheel. it must also be perfectly lit and have rest stations every 150 miles and be lined with beautiful women for me to admire'

'Crikey' says the genie 'thats a real tall ask, do you have an easier wish??'

'yes' says BH ' i want keg of beer that will last me all night'

the genie scratches his head thinks a minute and says 'do you want that bridge to morrow '
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 07:32 AM

7 posts, read 14,551 times
Hi,
I live In Mass and have driven down to Venice a few times with 2 kids. Big House is correct...DC is awful. Try to schedule your drive so you hit that area during the night. The rest of the drive is very easy, but long. We stay over night so its broken up for the kids and stop every couple of hours to stretch and shop. If you prepare with games and cd's for the kids, you should be fine. Good luck and have fun

Old 04-17-2010, 08:11 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massRN2010 View Post
Hi,
I live In Mass and have driven down to Venice a few times with 2 kids. Big House is correct...DC is awful. Try to schedule your drive so you hit that area during the night. The rest of the drive is very easy, but long. We stay over night so its broken up for the kids and stop every couple of hours to stretch and shop. If you prepare with games and cd's for the kids, you should be fine. Good luck and have fun
I might add, that if you have driven around Baltimore and DC for years and years, the driving down here is sooo unbelievably nice, calm, relaxing, and you can move along very easily. Sure, if there is an accident on 75 or 41, you might have an hour long wait once in a while, not very couple hours. During a light snowfall, I've had a 1 hour drive take over 4 hours, or quite often, if you have to go around DC to Baltimore during rush hour, a 1 hour drive will take you 3-4 hours! Forget about planning dinner until you get home!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:19 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
Im originally from NH and have made the drive more times than I care to count. I can make it from my mothers in Salem,NH to Venice,Fl in just under 24 hours. It has never taken more than that, but I drive straight through and only stop to use a restroom and gas up. Leave at night around 7 pm that will put you through NJ when nobody is on the road. The rest of the trip down is a breeze after that. If your looking to stop midway try South of the Border, its pretty cheap place to crash for the night and there are lots of little shops around there. Good luck and drive safe ! Oh, when you hit I4 , stop someplace if you are incoming to Orlando at rush hour, it will ruin the entire drive to get caught on I4 in Orlando, its a nightmare.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:21 PM

14 posts, read 36,743 times
thanks everyone.

the plan right now is to leave late tuesday afternoon and stop for the night in new brunswick NJ (just to get south of NYC).

then 5 hours to colonial williamsburgh and spend wed afternoon/night. i guess that will send us through the beltway mid morning .....

then thursday drive 9 hours to jacksonville, where we will stay 2 nights to visit my sister,

and then head to sarasota saturday morning.

now i'm thinking maybe we should do the 84 to 81 to 64 route to williamsburgh ......

Old 04-25-2010, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,677 times
John, I will be returning to Sarasota on 22 June from New England. If you are interested, I would be available to drive your second car down to your new home. I am responsible and have an excellent driving record. If interested, contact me at [email]blreinbfl@gmail.com[/email]. wheels2go

Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 AM

21 posts, read 50,165 times
When I moved here, my dad and I drove several cars down. We always left from New Bedford around 7pm and drove straight through. We only stopped for gas and some small snacks while waiting for the gas. Our best time was 17 hours, or as long as 21 due to snow. I wish I had known about this website when we were doing the drive though. It should help you out by saving you some gas money. We always just stopped when we ran out and got stuck paying way more on the NJ pike and whatnot.

Virginia Beach Gas Prices - Trip Cost Calculator - Maximize Your Fuel Savings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area