Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 06:53 AM

127 posts, read 296,197 times

Advertisements

Venice this weekend.. Starting Friday from 4pm till 9pm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAwannabe View Post
Venice this weekend.. Starting Friday from 4pm till 9pm

I hope the hunting is better than this past weekend.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:32 PM

475 posts, read 900,708 times
I heard you need a special shovel/net device to find the shark teeth. My kids & I looked for them a couple years ago (without a device and didn't find any.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:52 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
It's kind of funny that they call Venice the "shark's Tooth Capital of the World". Maybe it's been over searched but I rarely ever find teeth at that beach.

I usually find them at beaches that are less populated or have less traffic. Interestingly enough, one of the best places to find teeth are in the shell parking lots. Many of our up north visitors aren't sure what they look like exactly until they find a few.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:04 PM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
I heard you need a special shovel/net device to find the shark teeth. My kids & I looked for them a couple years ago (without a device and didn't find any.

You can get the scoop at Walmart in Venice. We found a few at Casperson on Saturday, but they were pretty small. The last time we went, last summer, we found much larger teeth.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:30 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
I have a shell rake that I've used out here and pulled in quite few sharks teeth and have also found quite a few just out wandering on the beach. I think it's a matter of knowing exactly what you're looking for. I have an elderly friend that goes up to Manasota Beach every morning around 5AM with one of those headlamps on and finds them by the dozens. He has an amazing collection of sharks teeth, buckets of them.

Here's a new one though, he also finds fossilized HORSE TEETH out there. He's got a nice collection of those too. I was amazed to learn that so many years ago wild horses roamed the beaches out here. I'll warn you, they aren't exactly pretty to look at but are pretty cool to see.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:53 AM

127 posts, read 296,197 times
We always find them on the beaches.. Englewood, Venice, etc but you're right SoFlGal I think Venice has been hyped up a bit and since so many people come looking they're a lot harder to find. My wife, her sister and brother-in-law found a tooth on Venice beach this week that was about the size of a dime and had serrated edges still..! We also found a good sized white one last year. But everyone is right - you have to find a few so you know what to look for before you find more.

Island Mermaid - we met a guy on the beach last year who told us that at around 5am with a flash light you can find loads of them, aparantly they reflect the light. I wonder if it was the same person you are referring too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: