Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,217 times

Advertisements

We are wanting to move from Indiana to Florida. Our biggest concerns are safety, good schools etc. We want to stay away from high crime areas etc. We are open to something more inland if the crime is less and the schools good. I am frustrated reading that there is a lot of crime. I have read one site that says one thing and another site that says something else. SO PLEASE give me you opinions as truthfully as possible. Is the crime that bad? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 08:19 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis4 View Post
We are wanting to move from Indiana to Florida. Our biggest concerns are safety, good schools etc. We want to stay away from high crime areas etc. We are open to something more inland if the crime is less and the schools good. I am frustrated reading that there is a lot of crime. I have read one site that says one thing and another site that says something else. SO PLEASE give me you opinions as truthfully as possible. Is the crime that bad? Thanks.

If you are from a small town in Indiana, you may want to check out something inland. A small inland Florida town is not going to be much different from a small town in Indiana.

I live in the burbs of an Ohio city and we purchased a condo in Sarasota. It's a very similar location. There is crime everywhere. I've had my house in the burbs broken into and cars have been vandalized at the condo. We feel pretty safe at either location, but everyone is different.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:41 AM

477 posts, read 987,072 times
Default Wow! So many of us are making the move down south!

We are moving from Ohio and have the same concerns. That's how I found this website when I was comparing the crime statistics between cities. We live just north of Columbus so I compared it to Sarasota and Columbus has more crime overall than Sarasota. I have never felt scared when going to Columbus, but there are certainly areas I would never go. I believe that to be the norm for most cities.

As for schools, our school district here is always ranking at the top of the nation, so I'm not going to hold my breath for the exact same in FL. Our main concern is safety and good ratings and just a good experience for the kids. There are many schools in Sarasota/Venice that rate 8-10 on greatschools.org with great reviews from parents. SoFlGal has a great list of the best schools within the nicer areas. Just do a search for it on here. I'm trying to focus on the Palmer Ranch area right now. Hoping we can find a home to rent for a couple of years there, then buy within the same area.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area